Airbnb supply has doubled since 2017

I’m a couple years older than you and plan to do this wonderful new business as long as is possible. Health will most likely be the decisive factor, but I see no reason why someone couldn’t do this into one’s 80’s? What do you think?

1 Like

Climbing up those damned stairs!

2 Likes

I’m pretty spry and I might continue to do it. However, I’d also like to truly, completely retire. I’m single and live alone and if I’m lucky enough to continue doing that into my 80’s I could easily see transitioning into a housemate situation.

Already I can envision struggling to change the sheets or to do the home and yard upkeep needed for a business where the appearance of the house is important.

There are so many factors that I really try to focus on no more than a few years ahead. 20 more years is another entire lifetime in my mind.

3 Likes

Is that how it works? If one doesn’t support BLM they must therefore be racist?

I hate to further derail this thread but that kind of nonsensical overgeneralization is so damaging to all.

2 Likes

I am over 80 and grateful to have good health. I am reasonably sure that I will be able to continue to host for a few more years. My wife and I really enjoy the social interaction we have with guests and would sorely miss that if we had to stop hosting. We offer a full guest house that is located next door to our home and we are able to fully maintain it even with our advanced ages. We do all of the gardening and two weeks ago finished repainting the interior.
Every guest gets a gourmet breakfast and occasionally we are asked to prepare a dinner.

6 Likes

Hope he also doesn’t use Amazon or social media @Woody :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

That seems risky.You are 80 and you are hosting strangers inside your house? I’m even reluctant to host them in a separate guesthouse. I think too w Covid you aren’t supposed to be hobnobbing w strangers.

As mentioned in my original post ours is a separate guest house next door to our primary residence. The only guests who have booked with us during the Covid crisis have been locals. Thailand has managed the virus extremely well and wearing a mask has not been a political statement but rather a respect and concern for others. We maintain social distancing and wear masks as do all of our guests. Other countries only wish they had done as well as Thailand in controlling the virus.

7 Likes

I was chatting with my friends group that tries to do a vacation together yearly. I’ve been a lot more places than my friends but always want to go to new places. As a friend pulled up a “top places to travel” list, Thailand was on the list and is one place I’ve never been.

2 Likes

It’s done better because it’s an island, easier to keep people out. Here in the US our border is being flooded w people who have not been screened and many have Covid. Also Asians tend to be more respectful ,when I was in China there were many Chinese wearing a mask this was before Covid. They are used to the HK flu, SARS, etc so they are used to wearing a mask.

Thailand is not an island.

It’s light green on this map.

3 Likes

Everyone I know who has been to Thailand loved it. They all comment on how sweet the people are.

1 Like

Airbnb also makes an effort to get rid of the racist and bigoted hosts on their platform, so they surely will be pleased to hear that their donation is having this positive, additional effect. That may actually have been among the many reasons for them to make that donation.

5 Likes

They have done well, no doubt about it. Sadly, the current regime is doing just as well (in their eyes alone) in controlling the people.

The government of Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-ocha, in a second term in office after flawed 2019 elections, has done little to address the repressive legacy of military dictatorship. Authorities frequently suppress and prosecute critics of the monarchy and the government. Covid-19 measures have become a pretext for censorship and restriction on peaceful rallies.

Rights defenders face constant risk, harassment, and retaliatory lawsuits from government agencies and private companies. In the southern border provinces, government security forces and insurgents commit abuses in ongoing armed conflicts.

More than three million migrant workers from neighboring countries face systematic abuses and exploitation despite government promises for reform. Refugees and asylum seekers endure arrest, prolonged detention, and deportation to persecution in their home countries.

I know it’s way off topic, but so. The use of lese majeste in Thailand just now reminds me of the abuses by Turkey under the infamous Article 301 a few years ago, Orhan Pamuk being one of the higher profile victims.

JF

1 Like

After they took NO action to stop the Georgia legislature from passing a horrible voter repression bills (really, it’s now a FELONY to give water to voters waiting in line?), Georgia companies Coca Cola, Home Depot, and Delta Airlines are on my boycott list. I hope that a lot of other folks do that too.

2 Likes

How can agreeing with bigotry be interpreted otherwise?

1 Like

Reading comprehension issues? That was not what the disagreement was about.

Pendulum is swinging: Coca Cola & Delta CEO today issued statements saying the voter law changes are unacceptable.

Star Wars, Mark Hammill and others have halted upcoming, planned movie production in GA. Movie production brings billions of dollars to GA each year.

2 Likes

It’s not that hard to issue statements as damage control. The thing to look at is whether these companies are still making political contributions.

1 Like

Highly recommend visiting Thailand, but do beware that there are plenty of ways that famous “Thai smile” can get naive visitors in trouble. I lived there for 2 years and saw plenty of scams where the inherent trust that tourists seem to give everyone is taken advantage of. I would say Thailand is no more pure than any other tourist-dependent economy, though the average non-scamming Thai person (which is 99.9% of them, just like everywhere) is extremely gracious and kind to foreigners. That is, of course, assuming you treat them with respect. There are some slightly unexpected cultural no-no’s that are easy enough to abide by, but you need to know about them (i.e. not stepping over someone/something, never pointing with your foot, never disrespecting the king, etc.).