Airbnb says it plans to temporarily house 20,000 Afghan refugees

Super! We are looking forward to you reporting your experiencing hosting a refugee.
Especially since so many are coming to Mexico, as you pointed out.

At first I thought that Brian was taking credit for the generosity of hosts who would house refugees for free. I was really annoyed at this.

But if they are going to be paying hosts, this is a different story.

I am signed up to Airbnb.org Plus I am on a domestic violence support network and I host families who are needing emergency accommodation for free. If I have vacancies and there is a family fleeing from a bad situation, I will gladly host them. Where I live, the shelters don’t let families stay together but separate kids from their Mums (it is always the Mum) but in my places they can regroup together in a safe and quiet house. I don’t do this for credit - it is always anonymous for privacy and safety reasons - and I can’t claim any tax rebate.

Yes this is a humble brag but I am trying to show that it is possible to run a for profit business and still have space for giving some peace to desperate humans who need respite.

5 Likes

How totally ridiculous! After a domestic violence incident children need her more than ever. Our shelter was build just for families. They have a separate part of the facility for single clients.

2 Likes

I know right… separating kids from their Mums is just not right. But the shelters here are for women and very small babies only. Any older children (eg over 5) are sent to childrens homes. This is how it is done here. Support for DV is just awful and there is so much of it and it is not talked about. (I live in Japan BTW)

So I do what I can to help families stay together while the support networks are finding a permanent solution for these desperate families.

5 Likes

I have signed up for the program and welcome anyone who needs a place. Air b and B, put insurance on the homes.

This will be my 17th year running three places, through hurricanes, major illness, deaths, you name it we managed to keep it going through many very challenging times.

It would be an honor to be able to help people who really need our help.

If you have something NEGATIVE to say. Keep it to yourself.

Try to put yourself in others shoes.

Happy booking,

Yvette

2 Likes

An American female friend who teaches at a Korean university tells me that Korea has the same problems.

Actually you’re much safer hosting a refugee who will have been through multiple checks by governments and the charities that are working with Airbnb to vet them than a ‘paying guest’

But don’t let your prejudices get in the way of the truth will you :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve been hosting young refugees for five years what do you want to know @Jefferson

2 Likes

Edit: all my donations are going to help women in my town via the West Fund.

3 Likes

AirBnb has a lousy record of vetting anyone.

Hey all, just a reminder that this is obviously a sensitive situation and we may all have different beliefs here. We don’t need to all agree as long as we’re respectful when discussing this and other topics.

I think it’s great that Airbnb has taken this initiative. As others have said, it remains to be seen what their follow through is like since much of what they do is for publicity. They’re a great PR machine but if it helps at least just a few people who are really in need, that’s still a net benefit.

3 Likes

Just as well then under the scheme it’s the refugee charities who do the vetting then isn’t it @RiverRock :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

@Helsi, Please refrain from putting words in my mouth or your passive aggressive attacks. Air does not “Vet Guests”, refugee or otherwise.
I wrote nothing against the refugees or the people, despite your implications. My stance, stated clearly several times, is against Air’s BS PR effort and any 3rd party booking.
Do as you like with your property, and leave me out of it.

If a host were to choose not to list on Airbnb because of their non-existent vetting procedures and lack of security deposit, and gave that as a reason for not wanting to host refugees through Airbnb, that would make sense.

Choosing to list on Airbnb in spite of those issues, but then claiming that hosting refugees is a “massive risk”, is talking out of both sides of one’s mouth.

3 Likes

With the potential for hosting MAGAts, Pro-Covids, Qanon and Faux “News” fans, I would rather host a citizen refugee from Afghanistan fleeing for their lives from a brutal regime that forces religion and misogyny on them than host a ‘local yokel’ who sees skin color and an accent as somehow ‘un American’.

3 Likes

The website says that hosts can offer free or discounted stays and that Airbnb is just waiving service fees. Why is anyone saying that hosts will be paid for the stays?

1 Like

Because that’s what Chesky said when it was announced.

Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement of Brian Chesky’s honesty or intent. It’s just answering the question.

2 Likes

Did you not see Annet’s posting above of Chesky’s twitter post saying hosts would be paid for these stays?

1 Like

Well I guess that settles it. It was on Twitter. :rofl:

I think he means that they are “paying” for these stays by way of not charging service fees. I can’t find anything that says that Airbnb will be paying hosts. There was some other disaster one time and he said the same thing and then everyone figured out that they were just not charging service fees.

Here is a link to the official Airbnb How to support housing needs for Afghan refugees.

https://news.airbnb.com/how-to-support-afghan-refugees/

refugee

1 Like