Airbnb resuming plans to go public

It’s as if they have no idea there’s a worldwide pandemic and a coming global recession.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/airbnb-reportedly-told-employees-resuming-041502358.html

2 Likes

They can go public all they want, but will people buy in? I know in the initial public offering the insiders who buy first supposedly have done the homework, but will anyone else buy it? I guess if I could get it cheap, less than $10 a share I could risk a few thousand dollars but even then I would be skeptical. Much better companies to buy into imo

RR

2 Likes

It’s just talk to keep the core employees who expected to be able to cash in the pre-IPO shares that were part of their compensation from quitting, and to keep those Saudi princes who were investing through Silicon Valley venture capital firms happy. They took a beating on Uber, and don’t want Air to follow that pattern.

3 Likes

Gold, gold and more gold imo. Particularly when the price takes a beating circa 3pm UK time on Fridays. That’s when the US market wakes up and kicks in to bring it down.

And mining companies.

Yes. I’m in the process of raising funds for my latest start up, an innovative agricultural company, and will happily take some of your dollars.

Hopefully our product will be on the market soon:

JF

4 Likes

Pray tell, will the magic beans also be non-gmo, organic and locally-sourced? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

In the US this product is being sold under the name MAGA Beans or Goya.

goya

2 Likes

Totally bummed by this. They’re the only ones who make a mole sauce that is gluten-free :cry: Guess it’s time to commit and learn to make it myself - open to instruction if anyone has a recipe they like. That bastard ruins everything :grimacing:

2 Likes

They are everything you want them to be, because remember, they’re MAGIC beans!

JF

4 Likes

With a few exceptions (Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-A and Cracker Barrel come to mind) I don’t worry too much about boycotting any company. Just about every company in our system has some skeletons in their closet. I might boycott for awhile to see if the public could send a message but next year when we have a new president I’d buy any product that isn’t made by someone else.

Isn’t #everythingTrumptouchesdies trending on Twitter?

1 Like

My brother lives in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, where the population is about 25% retired Anglos. The proprietor of the amazing French pastry shop there teaches a gourmet Mexican cooking class in the teaching kitchen on the patio of his house once a week. I asked to make a Mole, and he said that it takes half a day to make and that was too long for the class, but he happily gave me his recipe, which is in the attached PDF.

I have to admit that I have never made it because of the time commitment. However, I have a lot of time now, so I’ll probably make a big batch sometime soon. I just bought big bags of baby new potatoes and baby sweet onions so I can roast a couple of big pans of them and then shrinkwrap and freeze individual portions. A freezer and a microwave are a bachelor’s best friends.

Oops, can’t attach a PDF here. I sent it in a PM.

2 Likes

Thank you so so much for the recipe @NordlingHouse! It is exactly what I was hoping for. And it’s extra special to me that it’s from San Miguel. I spent a lot of time there as a kid and as a teen but haven’t been back in ages and it is probably my best memories from those years. So, absolutely perfect, forever grateful to you ! I will start collecting the ingredients I don’t have! I’ll probably have to make the bolillo myself so that it’s gluten-free, making it an even bigger project than typical. I’ll let you know how it goes! :pray:t5: :smiley:

1 Like

Could you PM the mole sauce recipe please? I’d love to have one from San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Can’t get more authentic than that!

It might seem like 25% of the population is retired expats, but at most it’s about 10% and that is just the number of foreigners, not all of whom are retired, nor all of them “Anglos”.

I actually ended up living here in Mexico because of a voice I heard in my head (honestly, I’m not someone who hears voices, but this one time I really did) that said “Go to San Miguel de Allende”. I had never been there before, so it was quite strange, but I had been battling a depression for about a year and a half and needed to do something different, so I went. Lived there for about 5 months (outside of the centro, wasn’t part of the expat community), went back to Canada for a year and a half, then back to Mexico , but settled in Sayulita, just north of Puerto Vallarta.

I liked San Miguel for the culture- great music, dance performances, theatre, 2 big art schools, lots of galleries, great food. But it was just too cold for me in the winter, and it’s also high desert, so quite dry. I prefer more tropical climes and don’t mind hot and humid.

1 Like

Sent. It’s real. It takes half a day to make, but it’s a big recipe, and you can freeze it.

My brother’s been living there for the past 7 years, and 3 years of vacations before then. He was a drama major who ended up working on the Alaska ferry system and retired as Chief Purser, but he worked week-on/week-off which made it difficult to participate in our active local theatre scene except to do tech work.

Now he can be the theatre bum he’s always wanted to be. He directs or produces 2-3 plays a year and volunteers with several arts festivals and organizations. He says that all the actors that retired there make casting easy as long as the play has no juvenile parts. I was there for a month a couple of years ago and saw 3 plays and an amazing chamber concert, all really excellent. And the visual arts scene there is great. My SIL is a writer, and has a writers’ group she loves.

My problem with San Miguel is that most of English speakers living there are older, and I prefer to live in a community with an arts community that includes a lot of younger folks — it’s always more lively!

My brother grew up in Alaska, and likes living in SMA exactly because it’s not too hot. They wilt if they have to go to Austin during the summer to deal with medical stuff.

1 Like

When I lived in San Miguel, that was about 18 years ago, so there weren’t so many foreign retirees there. At least at that time, the arts community did include a lot of younger folks- many attending one of the 2 art schools there. The thing about ex-pat communities is that there are usually quite a few different sub-groups within it. And one may not interact with the other. You have to live there for awhile and move about to find out that there is actually more going on there than you might be led to think simply by the associations that whoever you know there may have.