AirBnB Rental Scam

Usually around a billion dollars. It just tells them that I know it is a scam and they won’t get anywhere with me, yet the algorithm sees a live host responding and I keep my 100% response rate!

5 Likes

I had a request to rent for a year in advance from Luxembourg. Everything checked out, including LinkedIn profile, passport, phone calls Airbnb quarantine booking and flight. But the wire transcript info was all screwed up.

it’s a family playstation and i don’t have receipts, and the only photo was taken by an airbnb photographer years ago. but it costs $300 to get a new one. good thing smart tvs make that workaround redundant.

actually, my main concern is to make sure they kick the guy off the platform. i don’t want to leave a bad review, for fear of his sketchy friends retaliating.

UPDATE. the guest never responded again. i finally on the last day left a 1 star review (thanks whoever recommended that tactic) and said that the guest stayed four days, and that was all i said. airbnb, after repeatedly closing the case (possibly because i kept writing to them asking wtf was going on), after two or three weeks of this, said they’d pay me half the replacement cost of the playstation, because it was old (so what?), and that was it. no mention of what they did to the guest’s account (because you can be sure i demanded they boot the guest off the platform). but at least the issue is resolved enough, and he got a bad review out of it.

next update: i no longer can see that horrible guest in my inbox. he shows up on the calendar, and i can access his messages by clicking on his profile, but the string of back-and-forth is gone. does anybody have any idea what this means?

1 Like

They come up second hand on marketplace all the time where I am and not at all expensive. If you are replacing like with like then this is the direction I would go.
Having been in hospitality since I was born… I don’t leave anything that I would be upset to lose as far as small things in my STRs. Everything bar the linens is second hand and from thrift shops. Looks great, no real loss if it is broken or stolen.

2 Likes

Leave a review that just says “Guest stayed XX days.” Other hosts reading that will get it that you had nothing good to say, but the guest or his sketchy friends won’t be aware of that. And 1* across the board- guests can’t see their own star ratings. If you leave no review, he’s going to get accepted to someone else’s place and do the same thing. You can’t be assured at all that Airbnb will remove him from the platform.

5 Likes

Purely for my own amusement, keeping my KPI’s up and keeping the Algorithm happy… the host responded

I am going to try this tactic, I like it.A while ago I had an inquiry with several good reviews but 2 of the 4 reviews did not match the name of the guest. At the time I thought that maybe the guest was with a group of people during those stays and they were mentioning 1 of the group. The guy that made the inquiry was travelling alone, though, and I booked someone else before he committed to my special offer. Now I think I may have dodgeda bullet. Is there any scams with people using reviews that are not theirs and how can a host deal with it if there is?

1 Like

If the review is for a trip booked by someone else, it will say that above the review, “This trip was booked by Marisol” and the guest may have the review on his profile because he was part of the reservation. This is legit and no worry.

However, if the reviews all seem to belong to the guest personally and there are different names used, that means the guest has changed their profile name (guests are free to do this). It may be legit or it may not. I once had a Tony book that was Emily in the other reviews. I asked about it and she had recently changed her name to be more gender-neutral. I have no worries about that of course and so booked her. There are good reasons to change names. I also had a guest who was changing to their middle name - they thought it was better for the professional career they were entering. It seems more common in the younger crowd as they are more focused on finding their identity. Also, there are generations now that haven’t known life without social media and there is a lot of creating your own identity on social media. Their airbnb profile is an extension of that. Just ask about the name disparities. If they don’t want to answer, then there may be an issue. It’s a case by case.

I think it’s @KKC who had a great guest named Death and Disparity Innards - something like that, lol.

1 Like

It was a guy booking and the names on two were female and could have been innocent. There were some other disquieting things like him wanting to get a lower price, and not being able to confirm until the day of the reservation . It was a month long reservation for 1 person for a 2 bedroom and he was coming from California. Was he going to book with a fake credit card and that was why he did not want to confirm? I had told him I would not hold the reservation but would honor it if he got back to me and no one else booked, and 1 hour before his time was up I get an instant booking for 28 days at my full price. The other guy “reached out” and I sent him back a message offerring different dates but never heard from him again. Maybe I am paranoid…

I meant a photograph of your receipts and police reports. :slight_smile: It’s the quickest way to get them to your insurance company.

Please leave a review!

2 Likes

Invisible Vengeance Visits. Here’s my post about it.

2 Likes

Yes, you absolutely can. It will get rid of them but keep your “response rate” in tact.

3 Likes

A used playstation is not worth submitting a claim to insurance, deductibles generally start about $500, mine is $2500 . Insurance is for the big stuff, everything else is a cost of doing business

IMO

RR

2 Likes

Similar but different

My name is Anne however when posting my now 2 STRs to LTRs on Zillow & Craigslist, my contact info was to call Andy. Only one person questioned it. After my explanation of, “ there’s a lot of strange people out there” no more questions.

Not politically correct and I firmly believe women are as capable as men but the reality is there are people who will think twice before they try to play games with a big ole southern farm boy.

A good friend now asks her 6’4” 260lb football player-ish son to meet guests touring her condo that she is moving to LTR(6month max). He’s s big teddy bear but can look like someone who could easily stomp a troublemaker.

Ok and before folks get wrapped up in “I don’t let guests preview the rental”. Mine are now 12 month leases. In my area, the standard is to allow a potential tenant to see the neighborhood and condo before they sign a lease.

These days masks are required. I will meet them outdoors and let them in and separate viewings by 24 hours.

4 Likes

I prefer to call it a potentially avoidable cost of doing business and charge the guest who did the damage or took the item. If only AirBnB supported me IAW their own ToS…but if they took it, I might give them a benefit of the doubt chance to return it, but if not, I will file the police report. I’d have to look at the dollar value of an item to determine for myself what level I would not bother.

Me2, thankfully I have not lost anything of great value. I have never had to ask a guest for money other than pet fees.

RR

It’s your 1st time but it won’t be your last especially now in these times whe lots of people face eviction and mostly locals are booking. They are coming out of the woodwork.

Hello, can someone please give answer about this message… Scammers booked my place obviously and I receive this message on my mail:

"Hi Marko,
After a full review of your account activity, we have decided to remove you from the Airbnb community. This means you can no longer access your account and cannot create a new one.
You were removed because we determined that the payments for reservations HMH2…, HM3H… may be fraudulent.
We previously warned you about fraudulent payments on 2020-12-24.
This is a violation of the Security section of the Airbnb Community Standards, which you agreed to in the Terms of Service.
Any upcoming reservations have been canceled and guests have been notified and fully refunded.
We consider this decision final.
You can read more about removal from the Airbnb community at: "

So guests have been in my place… I receive payment and I didn’t receive any mail on 2020-12-24…I am not using any credit cards, paypall nothing only bank account… So can anybody give me answer what is happening here? Can I return back my account 100+ reviews was there… Also what about money need to give money back? I will give it, it is not small amount but to get my account back… Also, could they take money from my bank account? They took payment not me from scam credit card… What to do now? Please give me answer…

1 Like