Airbnb potential in up and coming sketchy neighborhood?

Well, the house is in an area that is really hot right now in the Portland Metro. It’s Oak Grove/Milwaukie. It’s about a 10 minute walk to the little oak grove downtown, which isn’t super bustling yet but they do have a little café and a few little unique shops opening but it’s slowly happening I hear. It’s a five minute walk to a very popular walking and bike path which can take you all the way into Portland. And it’s a 10 minute walk to our city train which can take you all over. So, it doesn’t have the urban feel but a bit more of kind of a suburban feel, and yet close to many things. I have even had a few friends walk the neighborhood with me and even they understand my ambivalence! No one who visits the area I can quite put their finger on whether it’s good or bad! Maybe it’s really not either one! It’s just kind of funky! For lack of a better word…

Sometime, neighborhoods are just waiting for the right people to bring it back to life. Selecting those neighborhoods is one of my talents. I didn’t ask for this talent, but time and time again, I have done it. But this neighborhood doesn’t sound like the kind that would call my siren, I fear. Instead I look for places that have intrinsically interesting architecture, often it is clad in vinyl siding, that has great access but no one has noticed.

Too many 1960’s low rise brick apartments and any car repair bays are a turn off.

Old people with overrun front yards, if the house behind the weeds is interesting doesn’t scare me at all. But, you have to take the long view. Walking distance to a commercial district is key, even if the commercial stuff isn’t interesting now. And walking distance to public transportation is essential.

1 Like

I’m sorry I didn’t respond sooner! I would love to chat with you further and I’ll PM you soon.

Thank you!

Oh goodness! I had this issue before. I cannot figure out how to PM you! I am really fairly tech savvy and yet…??