Airbnb payments getting later and later - is airbnb going bust as the rumurs suggest?

Airbnb Support8:10 PM

Hi Alex, I’m so sorry this is happening to you.

I’m going to forward this case to another team who will do the best to resolve this for you.

I can imagine that it is frustating Alex, so thank you for your patience while we verify why it is happening to your payouts.

Best regards,
Rita

Message from Airbnb Support

Airbnb Support9:21 PM

Hi Alex.

This is Alejandro from Airbnb.

We were checking the issue and in this case we are presenting some delays with some payments, but do not worry as your payment was already sent and you will only have to wait few days more in order to see the payout in your account.

We apologize any inconvenient and do not hesitate if you have any more questions.

Regards, Alejandro.

Airbnb Support9:21 PM

Do you still need help?

No, I’m done.Yes, I still need help.

Select to open user profile for Alex

Alex9:39 PM

Yes, I still need help.

Message from Airbnb Service󱜄

We’re forwarding you to a team that can better assist you.

Alex9:48 PM

Alejandro - you have provided zero help - you are as clueless as the other suppport staff who like you are incompetent and have no understanding of how AIRBNB payments work - the payment has NOT been processed - if it had been processed it would be listed in COMPLETED PAYOUTS - ‘completed’ refers to the completion of the payment processing not the arrival of the payment.

I have NOT received the PAYMENT DETAILS EMAIL which is automatically sent out by AIRBNB the same day the payment is processed.
This delayed payment matter needs to be refered to a SUPERVISOR please!
Alex

ONCE AGAIN HERE IS A SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM:

My payment from AMANDA has not been processed - the same inexplicable delay occured with my previous payment for the previous AIRBNB guest Giovanna - it was two weeks late!

GUEST: AMANDA
Confirmation code:
HMHWSBKCYR

The AMANDA payout has still NOT been processed or released - the reservation is still sitting in the UPCOMING PAYOUTS list.

That same projected payout amount and date information has been there in UPCOMING PAYOUTS from the first day the reservation was first made and paid months ago - it is a projection of the amount and date of a future payment and a projection that the payment processing itself will commence on 14 APRIL - it is NOT confirmation that the payment has in fact been processed and sent.

In fact the payment has NOT been processed and consequently I have NOT received the PAYMENT EMAIL which AIRBNB ALWAYS send out the same day they process the payment.

That is unequivocal proof that AMANDA’s payment has not yet - 5 days later - been processed or released for payment.

The payment is still sitting in UPCOMING PAYMENTS - if in fact it had been paid on 14 APRIL it would be listed in COMPLETED PAYOUTS.
‘COMPLETED’ refers to AIRBNB’s completion of the authorisation and sending of the payment - the processing of the payment - that stage has NOT yet started because the reservation is still sitting in UPCOMING PAYMENTS as it has for the past few months!

“COMPLETED” does NOT refer to the time of arrival of the payment and its receipt in the host bank account because AIRBNB have no control over that once they have transferred the payment.

I have 7 years experience as a host - I know exactly how AIRBNB payments work - AMANDA’s payment has NOT been processed - it now NEEDS to be sent to the PAYMENTS section for processing at which point I will then receive the PAYMENT EMAIL confirming that it has been sent and the exact amount sent and providing an estimation of when it might arrive.

That standard AIRBNB payment details email has never been sent to me in regard to AMANDA!

This is an issue about ‘payment processing delay’ not ‘payment arrival delay’ - the payment can never arrive unless it is FIRST processed!

The required action here is for AIRBNB - to TODAY 18 APRIL - commence the processing of my 13 APRIL payment!
Thanks
Alex

Airbnb Support9:52 PM

Hi Alex,

As I mentioned you before, we are experiencing some general problems with the payouts, it is not only affecting you but some other hosts, but do not have to worry as the payout will be completed into few days, the recommendation is to wait and you will be able to see the payout completed.

Alex9:53 PM

PLEASE REFER THIS TO A SUPERVISOR - THE LAST PAYMENT PROCESSING WAS DELAYED BY TWO WEEKS - BUT A SUPERVISOR RESOLVED IT VERY QUICKLY AFTER A SUCCESSION OF INCOMPETENT SUPPORT STAFF DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HELP THE HOST GET PAID.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?
UNDER AIRBNB RULES PAYMENT PROCESSING MUST START WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE GUEST CHECKING IN - ARE YOU SAYING AIRBNB HAVE CASH FLOW PROBLEMS AND THAT YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE PAYING YOUR GUESTS NOW?

IS AIRBNB GOING BUST?

Airbnb Support9:56 PM

Alex, we are having a general delay and we are working on it in order to solve it as soon as possible, it is just about time to get it fixed and the payouts will be completed in few days.

Alex10:02 PM

THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH - UNDER AIRBNB OWN RULES PAYMENT PROCESSING MUST START WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE GUEST ARRIVING - AIRBNB HANE HAD AMANDAS MONEY FOR HER PAYMENT FOR MONTHS?
AMANDA BOOKED OVER 2 MONTHS AGO?
WHAT HAS AIRBNB DONE WITH THE MONEY?

AIRBNB MUST MAKE A PUBLIC ANNOUCEMENT TO ITS HOSTS AS TO WHY WE ARE NOT BEING PAID ON TIME AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH AIRBNB PROTOCOLS!
I AM GOING TO TAKE THIS MATTER PUBLIS AND COMPLAIN TO AN AIRBVNB DIRECTOR - BRIAN CHESKY ON TWITTER ABOUT THE FACT THAT AIRBNB CAN’T PAY ITS HOST ON TIME: @bchesky

Airbnb Support10:03 PM

We would love to help you resolve this case as soon as possible. To make sure that you receive continuous support, my colleague is going to take over this ticket to ensure the fastest resolution to your issue.

In the meantime, please feel free to reply to this message if you have any further questions or concerns. We appreciate your patience.

Alex10:03 PM

CORECTION:
THIS IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH - UNDER AIRBNB OWN RULES PAYMENT PROCESSING MUST START WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE GUEST ARRIVING - AIRBNB HAVE HAD AMANDA’S MONEY FOR HER PAYMENT FOR MONTHS?
AMANDA BOOKED OVER 2 MONTHS AGO?
WHAT HAS AIRBNB DONE WITH THE MONEY?

AIRBNB MUST MAKE A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT TO ITS HOSTS AS TO WHY WE ARE NOT BEING PAID ON TIME AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH AIRBNB PROTOCOLS!
I AM GOING TO TAKE THIS MATTER PUBLIC AND COMPLAIN TO AN AIRBNB DIRECTOR - BRIAN CHESKY ON TWITTER ABOUT THE FACT THAT AIRBNB CAN’T PAY ITS HOST ON TIME: @bchesky

Alex10:08 PM

I HAVE NO PATIENCE WITH AIRBNB’S CONSTANT INEXPLICABLE AND UNEXPLAINED DELAYS IN PAYING ITS HOSTS - UNPAID AIRBNB GUEST AMANDA HAS GONE - ON THURSDAY 10 NEW AIRBNB GUESTS ARE DUE TO ARRIVE - HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PAY THE GAS, ELECTRICITY, AND WATER BILLS ON A LARGE HARBOURSIDE HOUSE WITH 6 AIR CONDITIONED BEDROOMS - WHEN AIRBNB DOES NOT PAY ME AND CANNOT SAY WHEN IT WILL PAY ME?

IF AIRBNB IS GOING BUST AS THE RUMOURS AMONG HOSTS SUGGEST - IT MUST OPENLY ADMIT THE PROBLEM - SO WE DONT WASTE MORE MONEY ON ACCOMODATING LARGE GROUPS OF AIRBNB GUESTS AND NOT GETTING PAID FOR IT!

Hi Alex,

I’m sorry that you’ve been having these difficulties.

I’d like to respond with more, and my response has been sent to you.

Please understand that I have not responded to other messages from members here.

I understand your very human need to vent, and please know that we – well, maybe just me – are here for you.

MODERATORS: Please join in feeling empathy for Alex’s situation.

Please know that I’m pleased to see that you’ve posted here; it’s been awhile, Alex, five months!

Have you been well? Why have you been ghosting the forum??

Please don’t hesitate to write some more!

Is there anything else?

Please know that I respond meaningfully to many members, just not you at this time.

Please don’t worry.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

l have copied the messaging between myself and the totally useless AIRBNB SUPPORT STAFF - It does seem like AIRBNB are having cash flow problems - they cant pay their hosts on time - payment processing under AIRBNB protocols is supposed to start within 24 hours of guest arrival - with my last guest payment porcessing started two weeks after guest arrival and after I sent 30 messages - with my most recent guest - she arrived a week ago and after 20 messages I still can’t get them to start payment procesing and now they are finally admitting that they have a “payments problem” AND THEY STILL CANT TELL ME WHEN I WILL GET PAID!

I have 20 future AIRBNB reservations of big groups - AIRBNB payment delays are making it impossible for me to continue in business!
The fools who own AIRBNB got too greedy and ever since they imposed their extortionate new 11-14% booking fees guests have bitterly complained and most are no longer booking with AIRBNB - and that’s presumably why they now have no money to pay hosts like me!

So - can you help me get paid by AIRBNB?

So can you help me get paid?

No, I don’t know that I can help,

Have you made any changes in your payout method?

We’ve heard about this anecdotally, that when any changes to the payout method are made that verification of the new method is unreasonably backlogged.

Here’s one suggestion from @muddy

1 Like

I have not changed my payout method - from the messaging above you will see that AIRBNB have admitted that they are having problems making host payments - but they still cant tell me when I will be paid and “a few days” doesn’t cut the mustard with me after a full week delay on starting payment processing.

Airbnb Support9:56 PM
“Alex, we are having a general delay and we are working on it in order to solve it as soon as possible, it is just about time to get it fixed and the payouts will be completed in few days.”

FYI: Airbnb Stokes Hosts' Ire Over Paused Payments

@Alex08 Yes, the Airbnb Community forum is filled with posts about hosts not getting paid for long past and completed bookings (although for some reason I’ve almost never seen that problem with hosts on this forum, which seems odd). I don’t think they are going bust, I think they hang on to money to make their bottom line look great to their shareholders. Not to mention the more money they hang onto, the more interest it earns them. And it always seems to be the big payouts they don’t send on time.
I just read a post yesterday where the host, who manages multiple listings, said she has $90,000 of overdue payouts Airbnb isn’t sending! So I wouldn’t be surprised they are sitting on a million dollars of overdue payouts at any given time.

While I know you are super frustrated and mad, with good reason, one thing I can tell you is that when you yell at the CS reps in capital letters and insult them by calling them clueless and incompetent, it just takes longer to get things resolved, as they then pass it onto another rep, who you have to re- explain everything to. I have found that by being polite to the CS reps, no matter how frustrated I am, I get much better service. The goal is to get them on your side and want to help you- you do that by being civil to them, thanking them for their time, etc. The reps don’t have your money, they aren’t in charge of releasing it, they are poorly trained and poorly paid and they work for an outsourced company, which contracts out CS to Airbnb and other companies. It isn’t their fault that you aren’t getting paid, try to keep that in mind. I wouldn’t want a job where people yelled at me all day for things I had no control over, and wouldn’t be inclined to try to help anyone who did.

Now one thing you can try is to contact Amanda, assuming she enjoyed her stay at your place, tell her that Airbnb has never paid you out for her booking, despite lengthy dealings with customer service, and ask her if she would be willing to call Airbnb and ask what happened to the money she paid them for her booking 2 months ago, as her host says he hasn’t received payment.

I have read of other hosts doing this and lo and behold, suddenly their missing payouts appeared. Airbnb doesn’t seem to care much about giving hosts good service, but they don’t want the guests who fill their coffers with service fees to be aware of their dirty dealings.

But at first I thought you were saying this was for a booking that was completed 2 months ago, now I realize that you were supposed to receive the payment on April 14th, so it is only 4 days late. Seems like you’re in an awful tizzy about a delay of a few days, although I realize you had a 2 week wait for another payment.

6 Likes

While I am sad for you that you are having this problem, it is still anecdotal evidence. While this is a big issue for you and a significant amount of money for you, I have not had any issues with payments, and over the years only isolated issues have been discussed on this forum, usually with resolution after finding that payment information was lacking, or there was a dispute over payment from a guest.

I for one I’m always suspicious when people come on here, and extrapolate their issue with a guest, a pet, or even Airbnb, as indicative of a worldwide problem for an organization that sends millions of dollars out every hour. In fact, I will stop short of saying That this sounds like a trolling exercise… for now

3 Likes

Appreciate your frustration but what world do you live in that you feel it’s appropriate to talk to fellow human beings in this manner. @Alex08

6 Likes

Thank you for your helpful comments Muddy - after 30 essentially ignored messages it gets immensely frustrating - why should we have to beg and badger just to get paid as per our contract - a major problem is that AIRBNB need to implement a real host suport system - the present system where poorly trained support staff just go around in circles is not fit for purpose.

They have now admitted to me that they can’t pay hosts on time and that they don’t know when they can:

"we are experiencing some general problems with the payouts, it is not only affecting you but some other hosts, "
AIRBNB SUPPORT STAFF

The “other hosts” are no doubt also hosts awaiting bigger size payments - I cater for groups of 10-15 airbnb guests - this requires a lot of expense and it is impossible to run a business where income is eratic and contracts are not honoured.

"we are experiencing some general problems with the payouts, it is not only affecting you but some other hosts, "
AIRBNB SUPPORT STAFF

You sound like an AIRBNB plant?

I greatly respect your opinion Helsi and appreciate your honesty - but sometimes it’s very difficult not to be honest with your feelings and frustrations with AIRBNB support staff.
In general the AIRBNB ‘SUPPORT AMBASSADORS’ are in fact dysfunctional and it’s an insult to AIRBNB hosts that they have to put up with their essentially useless ‘service’.
These late payments are now becoming systematic - bookings on AIRBNB USA have dropped massively - mainly because of their extortionate 11-14% new booking fees which are driving Airbnb members back to hotels - I suspect that there is a more serious cash flow problem affecting AIRBNB operations - that’s why they systematically delay host big payments as this helps to conserve their cash flow and generates numerically fewer host complaints.

Sorry we are business owners running an STR business @Alex08 there’s never any reason to bully and shout at others in a business context particularly when you know they are in a more vulnerable and junior position than you.

You know full well it is not the fault of junior customer services staff that Airbnb is experiencing problems with its payment system.

I can only imagine the impact on them of being shouted at, demeaned and abused by hosts like yourself on a daily basis .

4 Likes

We hold different opinions Helsi - you consider AIRBNB hosts should suffer and tolerate incompetent, clueless, staff running around in circles who are paid to help with payment problems and yet dont even understand the basics of how the AIRBNB payments system works.

My opinion is that if AIRBNB provide a dysfunctional host support service who pretend to help us the only way we will get it improved is to make valid honest and frank complaints about the service and the ‘unfit for purpose’ support staff notionally providing it.

It is not bullying - that is an woke inspired exageration - there is no personal agenda - it is just being honest and realistic about the facts in a hopeless situation that will never change without clarity and transparency.
I reject your criticism and stand by my honest and frank complaints.

Sorry @Alex08 thats clearly not what I said. My point clearly was you can be honest and frank without bullying/being rude.

What I said is that in business we should act professionally in our communications and that there is never a reason to bully and abuse customer services staff - particularly when your issues relates to how Airbnb processes payments .

Try reading back your messages . Calling staff clueless and incompetent and using capital letters to ‘shout’ is not professional business language and is designed to belittle staff you know can’t answer you back.

Would you be happy for someone to talk to one of your family members or a loved one in that tone/using that sort of language - I certainly wouldn’t .

5 Likes

It’s amazing to think that one person‘s issues with Payment and Airbnb can be extrapolated into everyone is in danger of not getting paid. Clickbait articles all over the Internet use these kind of rationales.

If Walmart denies your refund on a damaged article you have returned, does that mean Walmart has financial difficulties?

A CSR has no idea about the finances of Airbnb. I can tell you, however, that the percentage that they make on every single booking, called profit, as long as people are booking, means they will make money.

I am now leaving this discussion as the original poster, being so argumentative, does not need any more responses…

2 Likes

AIRBNB SUPPORT STAFF

Thanks Rolf - your contribution to the ongoing and systematic problem of AIRBNB paused payments has been of zero value so thats a sensible and productive decision.