Airbnb paying 25% based on your cancellation policy?

Looks like conservatives on this site will be REMOVED for expressing political opinions. The moderators are all liberals who will not tolerate your free speech. We are in the minority here and trust me the liberals do NOT tolerate diversity of thought here or anywhere for that matter. They will predictably respond to this by reminding me they have the “power”. They are also smarter than you! I have a PhD from the University of Texas. I wrote government curriculum, but of course my political views are not as “informed” as the moderator. I will screenshot all this ASAP . Will make a fun segment on TV. It will make a great lesson on liberal views in a government class!

Nobody is being removed here. Stick to the facts please, don’t make it up.

4 Likes

I did deny that. So there IS that. If copying the same message is a violation, then I would have been grateful to have been informed and would have immediately curbed my behaviour, as I am not here to break rules or cause trouble. I am here to interact with other hosts about the 25% refund that was promised by CEO Brian Chesky. Instead, I am being personally attacked. I am grateful to the people of Ireland for stepping up to help me in my time of need. As a single-mother alone with a young child, life is no flower garden, and in this terrble time, kindness goes a long way. But trying to humiliate someone via a forum like this is the antithesis of solidarity, and therein lies the danger to humanity.

1 Like

Just like Airbnb, you are expected to read the terms when you join. Regardless, let’s move on.

debthecat gave you an answer on another thread. When you post on 4 threads and get answers all over the place and it’s hard to follow. Members who are very kindly volunteering their time to help you cross post and don’t see that someone else has answered you.

I know you only have 17 minutes so I’ll leave the rest of your post ignored so you can go read and find out that you are going to be very disappointed in Brian Chesky’s promises.

2 Likes

Nell, what question or topic about Airbnb hosting are you currently commenting on or seeking information about? It’s not quite clear to me.

7 Likes

Hook 'em, Horns. Finally we found some common ground. Though sadly I couldn’t afford to go to the excellent government school there, I had to go to my hometown school.

Next you will tell me you lived in El Paso and we’ll really have something in common.

I’m also a retired teacher who wrote government curriculum! Maybe we even worked together on a committee. Of course the powers that be in TX are very biased toward inserting conservative propaganda into the curriculum. Important cases like Roe v Wade went without mention in the book I had for 10 years. And imagine teaching AP US History with a book that didn’t mention the Scopes “monkey trial.”

Now you are obviously making yourself look untruthful here as we are clearly tolerating your postings. Tolerate doesn’t mean agree with, as any PhD would know. So while it appears that none of the moderators agree with you, you are clearly still posting.

This is my favorite part. It’s certainly will be interesting to revisit all this, and maybe even see it on TV. I don’t think it’s going to be fun as the bodies pile up in the corner (as Bill Gates so vividly put it) though.

And to add, if you still live in the South where governors were slow to implement lockdowns, it’s going to be worse for you, per capita, than other places. If you live in a tourist town it’s going to be worse still. So while I disagree with your opinions about Trump, I really do empathize with what you are going to be going through for months to come. The virus doesn’t care who you voted for.

8 Likes

Here’s a nice run down of what happened in Italy. Has nothing to do with Trump. Read it and literally weep.

4 Likes

You would have to see the whole thread. I innocently looked at this topic wanting information for my Airbnb business. Instead of finding that, there were several nasty posts about President Trump. I was appalled this site was being used for those comments, so I responded defending the president. Then all hell broke out! People used curse worlds like F… to me. The moderators left those comments ( eventually a few were removed). My posts, which were RESPONSES IN SELF DEFENSE, were flagged and hidden. Posts that intimated my resonate were NOT removed. I flagged them. Then the moderators threatened to shut me down for flagging too many items! The liberals were allowed to continue to assault me. The moderators response was POLITICAL etc.
I assume you really wanted to know and that you were not being sarcastic. I personally feel ALL political comments should be flagged and removed. This isn’t supposed to be Twitter! But I refuse to allow only one side to be protected speech while the other side’s comments are flagged. ON ANY SITE. So the new rule should be NO POLITICS, especially since my experience has been they are mostly liberals who let their role as moderator influence their role. As soon as they stop, I will stop. I have NOT ONCE INITIATED anything, only responded. I have a right to RESPOND. As you can see, I am responding now as you asked me a question.,

This is off topic. Please just post about the topic. This is not a news site.

Excellent idea, you’ll make a good forum owner. Purchase yourself a domain name, pay for server space, install and maintain the forum software etc. Once you’ve done all that, come back and let us know where not to find you.

JF

11 Likes

It’s only a violation of NYC law if the rental term is for less than 30 days. If the rental is for less than 30 days you cannot sublease the entire place out. In other words you must share your space with the renter. However if it is a rental of some kind or coop or condo it is a violation of most leases or proprietary leases to sublet your space without landlord or coop board approval even if the rental term is for the minimum 30 days that NYC requires. So you see it’s almost impossible to do STR in NYC AND not be in violation of one kind or another. If the apartment is a condominium it is possible they allow subletting but most have rules in place disallowing it.

2 Likes

I have removed the F word. I have restored all your posts. We moderators do discuss what the best course of action would be and have adjusted our response.

That is not possible. One would think a PhD in government would know that this is all political. It’s about power and how it’s used in both the public (govt) and private sphere. I think you have confused the words partisan and political.

If I went and removed all the news articles this forum would have half as many posts. But it actually is a news site. Just scroll past the articles YOU don’t want to read. Stop trying to bully people into not reading what you don’t want them to read.

Edit to add: its no surprise to me that you seem to be the one who is intolerant. The facts of Italy’s response bothers you? Scroll away. I hear that sticking your fingers in your ears and singing LALALA in all caps while attending church with thousands of others where you can be washed in the blood of JESUS will prevent coronavirus infections.

8 Likes

I’m definitely not going to be staying in the typhoid mary rentals they must be running.

4 Likes

Yes, way too relaxed in the initial stages.

I suspect Pedro Sánchez looked at Italy before coming up with the terms here, a lot more rigid. You go out without cause, you can (and will) be arrested.

It’ll be another three weeks before I get to pass an hour or so in my little plaza, by that time I may need to bring my own beer as a lot of small businesses may not reopen.

JF

2 Likes

Well, she has said she’s not in violation. I have no way of verifying. I’m just stating that the membership here has been very hostile to people who violate their local laws whatever that may be. It doesn’t matter if it’s STR restrictions or stay at home orders. So if someone is going to post saying “woe is me, I got a vist from city inspectors” or “Airbnb delisted me in LA,” they aren’t going to find a sympathetic ear here.

Thanks for the response. So, it’s probably clear at this point that the forum is not going to add your suggested rule of no politics. One thing you could do is use other forums or even start your own forum for conservative hosts. The cool thing about the USA is that people can run their own forums their own way, have free speech, and call elected officials (and each other) names without being hauled off to the gulag by men in black cars.
I did look through the thread and I want to go back to your comments about the economy. As a scholar and expert in government policy, what are your thoughts about maintaining economic function in the current environment? President Trump is now telling Americans to stay home this month and suggesting the mask wearing recommendation of the CDC if we must go out to the grocery store or other public places.
At the micro level, other hosts here are discussing switching to long term rentals or hosting medical personnel. There have been some broader comments on restructuring business operations to make them less dependent on travel, in order to address not only this crisis but future disruptions. What are your thoughts? What steps do you think are advisable to take as the rate of increase in infections and deaths levels off? How do we deal with different disease progression curves in different geographic areas? As a government expert, what do you think is the appropriate balance between federal authority and state and local authority in public health and economic matters?

8 Likes

It seems that every week of delay adds at least three on the back end. Someone must be doing mathematical models on it but I haven’t found it. I’m hoping that by mid summer I can reopen the Airbnb and host the kind of travel that has been my stock in trade. The tourist areas though? I think it will be next summer at the soonest. No concerts, fairs, spectator sports,

I even saw an article speculating that the virus could spread at beaches via runoff of the virus into the ocean. Oh hell, if that turns out to be the case we got two coasts in big trouble.

1 Like

We started with fifteen days. It was obvious, given the infection rates that it was insufficient, and that’s with folks (in the main) obeying the lock down.

Another fifteen days were added, with the further proviso that ALL unnecessary employment had to cease, within twenty four hours. That second period is due to expire this weekend.

It was announced on Friday that a further fifteen days will be put to the members of parliament shortly, and that it is hoped that at the end, some restrictions may be lifted.

Looking at the statistics, these tactics appear to be working. Who knows, we could see a second wave tomorrow, but for now, there appears to be a small chink of light at the end of a very difficult to navigate tunnel.

JF

1 Like

But I do wish she’d stop shouting so loudly. It’s not necessary.

7 Likes

I run my short-term as a small business. I had a Flexible policy, so I will probably get nothing. Try the SBA loan: covid19relief.sba.gov and apply. I did, haven’t heard back as of yet, but it’s worth a try.

1 Like