Airbnb no longer allows guests to filter for pets allowed

Looks like Airbnb have removed the “pets allowed” filter from their listing searches. Apparently in order to find out if pets allowed the gust has to go to each listing and look up the rules for each listing. That does not make sense!

1 Like

Now you put pets in the guest count when you search. It will include the pet fee as a flat fee too. Homes that don’t allaw pets won’t come up in search.

This changed months ago when they added built in pet fees.

5 Likes

Airbnb are heading to a hotel style experience.
All in the guests favour.
I don’t allow children under 12, I get requests to book every damn day from people with babies and toddlers asking to book and they get pissy when I say No!
If I have that restriction, my listing should not even show as available on those dates for those families.
My House
My Rules
Yet I am the bad host who won’t allow a snotty, sticky 3 year old into my heritage, antiques filled home……. Obviously all the hosts fault for being mean…!

5 Likes

About 24 months ago :wink:

@RIGSBY they made this change in March of 2021. It was a real :poop: show. Instead of having a pet-friendly filter guests have to put a pet in their guest list but it seems that guests are pretty hip to it now (though it did take about a year).

1 Like

I’m curious – what exactly do they say? As a student-of-human-nature I’m not surprised at their inappropriate sense of entitlement, but I just don’t understand why they waste time engaging in pissy whining rather than just moving on to the next 200 listings in their search results.

5 Likes

I’ve had a few guests threaten to turn me into the US FHA (Federal Housing Admin.) or dumber, HUD, while simultaneously sending me, rapid-fire style, the text of the US fair housing laws. Those laws don’t have :poop: to do with STRs :rofl:

I always want to ask these people, “hey, are you actually trying to take a vacation or are you just poking strangers on the internet as part of some sort of futile fugue?”. Alas, I’ve never gotten to say it because Airbnb always pops up a message that says, “Do you want to block this person?”, which, of course, I do.

2 Likes

So – always American guests citing American law?

This is an algorithm-triggered message from Airbnb? What are the trigger phrases?

I don’t think I understand the question. Yes, I think it was only Americans that cited American law, but I didn’t ask them where they were from. I suppose they could be like Brazilians citing American law or Germans citing German law but neither of those scenarios makes any sense to me. IMO, it’s fairly safe to assume that it was likely Americans that were citing American laws. Though, I have to admit I’m a bit intrigued with the other scenarios :joy:

To be fair, it’s definitely safe to assume that only American, or more specifically, US laws would apply to my listings in the US. Perhaps my non-US guests are just not familiar enough with US laws to grossly misapply them as much as someone from the US is able to do? :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t know. A couple of them sent links so I figured that was why I got the pop-up to block them. Yet there was one that was crafty enough (which is why it seemed more like a hobby than a sincere search for accommodations to me) to just copy and paste the text of the laws instead of sending links. I never knew what triggered the pop-up to block her but was also curious.

It may be as simple as the extraordinary length of the messages or that there were so many sent so quickly. I’d like to think that someone at Airbnb was reading along and thought, “well, this guest is dumb as a rock and that host shouldn’t have to deal with this” but, unfortunately, I doubt that that’s what happened.

Ha! Ha!
That would be an entire 180 on Airbnb corporate culture and priorities!

…as opposed to someone hitting the host with a moral argument or musing on the difficulty of planning a family vacation when you have young kids, rather than adopting a litigious posture.

1 Like

I am in a small regional town, there are 32 entire house listings, of the 32 I have 4. My biggest home sleeps 12 and has a pool and a large yard.
The pissy ones come from a particular group and dislike dealing with a woman who said No.
They often ask for the man in Charge and this group has done the most damage and are the least respectful over my hosting career. They were the reason for the age restrictions.
There isn’t anywhere else for them to consider……

3 Likes

On the contrary, they are presenting a moral argument, not a litigious one. They are standing up for the rights granted by the fair housing laws to not be discriminated against in housing. There isn’t a litigious angle to it at all. They are only threatening to report me to the fair housing administration which protects people from being discriminated against for being part of a protected class, e.g. race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (having kids!) and disability.

It’s truly a worthwhile cause. I wholly support it and do personally believe that is indeed the moral choice. However, it just doesn’t have anything to do with short-term rentals. It does not apply. Neither does the First Amendment or HIPAA :grin:

2 Likes

Seriously? It sounds like something from a b&w movie. I’ve never had anyone ask me that in my entire life.

2 Likes

They could start with “That’s not fair” which is different from (but overlaps with) “I’m calling the cops”

1 Like

“Group” as in “specific people” or “group” as in a “particular kind of person”

That alone is pretty well enough to earn them a place on the Official Shitlist!

3 Likes

“That’s not fair” is indeed the theme of the conversations. Who said they were calling the cops? That’s a bizarre idea man. Lmao. I’ve communicated clearly and accurately and shared information with you from personal experiences. Why are you making shit up in your own head about it?

What’s your agenda?

Meant metaphorically to make the point they went directly to threatening to invoke the law rather than argue the fairness on the grounds of fairness. Perhaps I should have written “call the cops” in quotation marks