Airbnb massive system issue- accounts deleted and all reservations cancelled

As Muddy said, we can’t help. But you’ve learned a horribly painful lesson. When you get an Airbnb booking you MUST write down, or take a screen shot, of the guest information. Some hosts get an email address that doesn’t go through Airbnb. That way you can contact guests if the website goes down, you have a power outage or a massive problem like this.

1 Like

Try posting daily on Air’s FB and Twitter pages - for some that seems to help escalate various matters.

Good luck!

Thank you all , great to hear new suggestions and security. This is horrible. I started tweeting out of desperation not only for income during COVID but for all the PM teams in places where these humans working for PM - means no work , no food . I think we all should peacefully tweet and maybe they will call a huge tech team in as it’s been over 24hours . Airbnb is paid well by all of us . I suggest tweeting our desperation and tagging press media .

This has been there biggest issue up to date

This is awfully bad. I hope that they (Airbnbn) get it fixed right and quickly. Lucky for me I am not impacted by this bs GLitch, my reservations are still on the list and intact, although someone who I confirmed last night just wanted to be confirmed?> (We are near Los Angeles). I always, always print out the reservation itinerary 1st thing so I can install the guest phone number into my phone.

To add insult to injury, the moderator over on the Airbnb community forum has been assuring everyone that the issue has been resolved, when it clearly hasn’t. I don’t fault the moderator there- she just posts what Airbnb tells her- they lie to the forum moderators just like they lie to hosts.

1 Like

Waking up here in Europe to find the problem has been partially resolved (for our account at least). The explanation was as follows: "

…Due to a technical issue, uour Airbnb account was inadvertently deactivated. This means that all your account and your ongoing and future reservations were cancelled as a result…"

Our account has since been reactivated and of the 17 cancelled booking we have been able to send out special offers (with the same dates/prices etc) as per Airbnb advice to 13 of the groups. Unfortunately four of the dates still show up as ‘blocked/unavailable’ so clearly the issue is only partially resolved.

Then comes the question of compensation. Has anyone heard anything about what Airbnb proposes to do for the bookings that are then not rebooked??? We know for a fact that 3 of 17 (so far/just within just 24 hours of the problem) have opted to book elsewhere, outside of Airbnb…

In the ‘support’ that I was messaged by Airbnb, there was no mention of this, just text explaining that the problem is now resolved, although its not 100%…

Curious to hear what other Airbnb hosts experience is…

This one kind of smells like sabotage by a disgruntled employee or contractor, but even if it is, allowing it into production system is another form of incompetence.

Given Airbnb’s history and current financial state, I would expect they’ll offer to lower your nightly rate on all days that were cancelled in an effort to re-book them quickly. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well, the moderator on the Airbnb CC posted today that Airbnb is saying they will pay hosts for any reservations that got cancelled because of this glitch if the cancelled guests already booked another place.

I’ll bet someone got raked over the coals for this major f**k-up. It’s not the sort of bad press they’d be happy about on the cusp of their IPO.

LOL … yeah MAYBE a small % will actually get fully paid. Most will get screwed in full or partially. Guaranteed!

1 Like

That’s what I’d figure, too. But it’s been put out there in black and white, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see if they find some way to double-speak it.

Where are you seeing this information? We have three guests already that have booked alternative accommodation given that the cancellation wasn’t rectified immediately and the reservation reinstated… (booking for next 10-14 days, so naturally guests got nervous)… So far Airbnb has been very vague and unspecific in terms of answering my compensation questions about what happens with guests who don’t rebook… the last thing they said was:

“…We will contact you to continue helping with reservations outside the 48 hours range, we want to make sure we maintain an organized process under the circumstances. Again our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, and we will make sure to rebook all of your guests for the upcoming reservations…”

So would love to hear/see where Airbnb posted that they will be paying hosts for any cancellations…

Thanks

Page 2 of this thread: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Login-issue-and-then-all-bookings-cancelled/m-p/1374493#M299026

Scroll down and look for the long post by Lizzie, one of the CC moderators.

1 Like

Lizzie is not even an Air employee. It is just a worthless blurb on Air’s community forum.

The closest thing they have made to a formal announcement is they are “investigating”. Short-term all they will do is try to get Guests rebooked, any way they can, without particular regard for hosts.

Business as usual … https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54923295

EXACTLY. They will take care of Guests. Remember, Air recently suspended many hosts without warning - for merely having a trigger word in the listing ("wedding party, party, parties, event, events, etc). Some got reinstated. Others are still trying.

This underlines why it is critical to always record booking info off-site. If it happens to you, then you can do what you need to book guests directly - or via a different OTA.

I never said she was a Airbnb employee- the forum moderators there aren’t. They’re outsourced from another company that provides forum moderators. That’s why I said earlier that I don’t fault the forum moderators for posting things that turn out to be not as they said- Airbnb obviously tasks them with doing damage control and tells them things that don’t pan out the way the moderator said.

So no, I wouldn’t take Lizzie’s word for it that hosts will be paid for their mistakenly cancelled bookings, but it’s at least something to throw back in Airbnb’s face if they don’t. I’d be screenshotting that Lizzie post if I was in the position of having been affected by this glitch.

Yes that is exactly my point. Lizzie has no authority. Her comment is entirely fiction.

Air’s only stated position is to get Guests rebooked. It would be surprising if Air would reimburse any hosts at all.

The only reason I think that reimbursing hosts for the lost bookings resulting from this most major glitch might possibly have a chance of happening is the timing. The last thing Airbnb wants right now with their imminent IPO is more publicized outrage at their incompetence. And it’s not just pissed-off hosts. There’s going to be plenty of guests who are angry that the place they really wanted to stay got cancelled so they rebooked somewhere else they weren’t as thrilled about because they thought the first host cancelled on them.

Oh Dear! Here we go again. We had similar experience in last January when they cancelled all our reservations and deleted phone numbers. What made it worse was they told guests that it was us who had cancelled them. We did not have screenshots of all of them but those we had we managed to book privately in most cases What was worse is that they offered some guests discounts if they booked elsewhere. We know for a fact of one that accepted their offer but airb screwed them and reneged so they booked privately with us in the end. A total nightmare and it happened to hosts all over the world. Just Google it. Now we always print the original booking conf to pdf.

By way of update, as I mentioned in a previous post, we had 6 bookings cancelled by Airbnb. We were fortunate that 4 rebooked with and one directly with us but one cancelled. Airbnb has already reimbursed us for the cancelled booking (I can see it in our pending transactions) even though its not until this weekend and we may still get a booking. Airbnb support who called us no less than 6 times about this (including two calls just to make sure we were satisfied with the outcome) didn’t even say anything about if we got another booking whether this would be reversed but i’d imagine it would be.