Airbnb launches its first animal-friendly experiences category -- thoughts?

This excites me since we’re big pet lovers. Though I wonder if they offer insurance for the pet owner and/or the other way around (ie. if the guest gets sick from the pet).

Would anyone host one of these pet experiences?

4 Likes

Absolutely. I board dogs in my home and have always offered my dogs as part of the experience. Our local humane society already offers a hike with shelter dogs experience and has for months. This is a very savvy Airbnb move.

That said, I would philosophically but not literally. I’ll keep in free and informal.

5 Likes

I LOVE this idea! I take our dog kayaking frequently and people always get such a kick out of her, chilling out in her doggie life vest. I would LOVE to get ahold of a cute little fuzz-butt corgi!

Wow - the chernobyl part saddens me … but if I could help, I would. We foster anyway … bring 'em on! I have plenty of love to share. And the wonderful part, with animals, the more love you share, the more you get back, 2x over!

3 Likes

Aaaah I love this idea!

2 Likes

My husband and I proposed and then scheduled three dates for a greyhound-related experience. Sadly, we didn’t get any takers.

And our greyhounds were looking forward to it!

6 Likes

The shelter that I volunteer with does this, “off site dog walks,” where we take the dogs to a park that they don’t normally see. It is so incredibly rewarding to see their eyes light up, with all the new sounds and sites. Ours isn’t an experience, it is a regular group of us that get them out, but it is a wonderful experience for them, and us by extension.

If it gives back to 4 :paw_prints: and those sweet eyes, count me in!

You are in Ohio right? Me too! Sounds like a wonderful idea!

You posted on ABB experiences? Those are so new but what a great idea!

Yes, @LCL, we’re in Ohio.

Yes, we created an Airbnb experience. Scheduled three dates this past summer. But no takers. We might revive it for the future. Not sure.

The event was going to prepare people for adopting greyhounds (retired racers), either just released from a racetrack or fresh from a foster’s home. Lots of important skills for new adopters to know. Most adoptions go through a greyhound adoption group, but not all groups can take time to teach these skills.

5 Likes

That is amazing, love it. We have always fostered the misunderstood - dobies, putties - and would love to foster or adopt a greyhound. With Scioto in Columbus and the tracks in KY, it seemed like a natural course, but we haven’t yet. What a great idea you have!

3 Likes

These ‘experiences’ sound more interesting to me now. I really want to go do the one in Seville with the donkeys!

We have a friendly dog that a lot of our guests meet. We have play-dates with the guest dogs. I’m not sure we can turn that into an experience though :slightly_smiling_face:

I took notice that they immediately have addressed animal welfare issues and am glad for that.

1 Like

We had a lot of fun coming up with the experience we listed. I do wish we’d had people sign up for it. We—and our greyhounds—would have enjoyed it.

1 Like

@RebeccaF I would’ve enjoyed your greyhounds too! I don’t get out much right now though.

1 Like

Bella is part of the experience here at Tiny Tiki and she is mentioned in the reviews and handwritten notes with love and admiration. Having the best doggie in the whole world here is just par for the course! ShareEdit

If you come to the Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway, you will meet a resident princess who watches over her domain with pride. You will also hear her defending it from occasional walkers by, rare motorcycles and numerous coyotes. Sometimes the Neighborhood Canine Brethren Chorus can be quite vocal.

Bella is the 1 in a million Really Red Doberman, with natural tail and ears. We say she’s the result of a purebred queenlike Mommy and a scoundrel Daddy. This is a dog, that while riding around in the car, other drivers roll down their windows to say “what a pretty dog”. She is a little large for a female dobie at a svelte and sleek 75 lbs, but looks and acts just like a Doberman Pinscher. She might be part Rhodesian, Lab, or Greyhound, it’s anyone’s guess, as she is a rescue. Her capacity to love, intelligence and loyalty are of the highest in dogdom. Her vocabulary is very good, she knows the names of all her toys and the difference between coyote, bunny, squirrel and mouse. She has been trained in rattlesnake aversion for her safety, and has not approached it but called out with a special bark when she saw one near the house.

When you pass down the short trail from the Tiny Tiki Trailer Zone, aka Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway, Bella will let us know you are at our gate, showing great enthusiasm and rambunctiousness. She might plant a surprise smooch upon your cheek without touching you with her paws. It is just her lips and a little tongue. Of course, if you like we will keep her out of your way completely.

She reigns over 1/2 acre with our house inside of her fence. She chases away red tailed hawks, but cares not about the crows or doves, unless she is bored and they are on the birdbath. Where she digs a nice hole, we plant something.

Inside, we give her the run of the house and sleep with her.

We should be so lucky as to have the life of Bella. Every day she is taken on a spectacular trail hike up among the sandstone boulders, where she is off leash, showing her beauty, agility and love of life. Her diet consists of expensive salmon and sweet potato kibble, served with boiled chicken and warm broth, and a raw beef back bone as appetizer. Her coat is gorgeous, shiny, soft as satin and miraculously never dirty. Due to her diet, her teeth are perfect and likely will never need cleaning.

3 Likes

The one I volunteer at in Austin does this as well (if you go though enough volunteer training). They also allow sleepovers and field trips to get more notes and information on the dog, but meant for someone who may not be able to commit to full time fostering. I do love the idea of exposing the pups to more people (maybe even non-volunteers). Many that come in have a checkered past and could use the confidence boost that hoomans = good things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@MelissaMH APA :slight_smile: I spent a lot of time there.

1 Like

If you guys are speaking of Austin Pets Alive do any of you know Kelsie?

That’s the one! I don’t know a Kelsie though - but I only started volunteering a few months ago and been back in San Diego since June. Looking forward to getting back with all the puppers in the new few weeks :smiley:

She’s not there now but she was for several years. She’s in San Antonio now.

Yes, the saddest part is that they will release pets for tourist to find them.
It is just as fake as the “orphanage” visits offered in some Asian countries.

Chernobyl has become a huge tourism attraction with a lot of fake stories, one big show specially created for tourists.

A lot of hunting of big game is fake as well. There’s no end to the fakery everywhere.