Airbnb is testing a 4-5x increase in host fees (up to 12/15% instead of 3%)!?

Is Massachusetts one of the states that Airbnb is compelled to collect taxes?

No. MA just decided not to pass that law.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/07/31/lawmakers-drop-plan-for-airbnb-rentals-tax/U7PPFad5HNzhweYYAzCJrN/story.html

1 Like

Same thing happened in Hawaii. I donā€™t think they like the idea that collecting taxes opens the door to illegal rentals and couldnā€™t come to a consensus. So the governor vetoed the bill and asked for it to be resubmitted.

In Chicago, they just passed an additional tax of 4% on short term rentals, on top of the 17.4% hotel tax that are already collected. So my guests now pay 21% in tax when they rent via AirBNB and then Air takes their 12% which means guests pay an additional 33% over my nightly rate.

1 Like

whoa!!! Thatā€™s one way to kill the industry and steer guests toward hotels!

3 Likes

Hi @chicagohost,

Thatā€™s horrible! 17.4% tax is bad enough.

1 Like

How did this affect your pricing power? Did you have to lower your rate?

1 Like

This is my first time reading this old thread, if ABB was a bank and charging that type of markup on the google ad charges, it would be illegal, if you can understand my logic.
In any case, I once saw my place on an ad that was on some political piece that I clicked onto from FB, so I wonder if someone clicked on that ad, and then booked, if the host fee would have been much higher?
But I do think I saw that ad due to my browsing history, as I frequently search without clearing cookies and cache. This is all very disturbing to someone like me, who is charging very little for a private room/bath.
I seriously doubt ABB would run actual google ads featuring my little rural area, but who knows?
All I know for sure is, even though there are many aspects of the hosting experience I greatly enjoy, I would have to give it up.
Iā€™m going to maximize my profits next year, and explore other ways to diversify myself into earning more money without the risks that hosting has (I donā€™t have proper insurance to cover my ABB biz) or private nursing (which I can barely stand to do for my regular job anymore).
Then again, I do know how to live quite well within my means.

Itā€™s horrible how some of you have all these additional taxes like hotel tax and whatnot. I just pay the personal income tax and thats it.

Do you think itā€™s because you are well outside London? What if you were in Central London?

I donā€™t think they do in London either.

It just fall under room rentals. Which you can earn Ā£7500 a year tax free. Up from Ā£4500 last year.

My last booking, I received $795 ($820-$25 Air host fee) and the guest paid $1060! My prices are already low so I wonā€™t drop my rate but I figure that many hosts will be dropping prices to remain competitive with hotels (that are also taxed 17% but donā€™t impose a cleaning fee + 12% Air service fee).

This Chicago tax is being called the AirBNB ordinance and the extra 4% goes to fund homeless services. I find this very odd since AirBNB negatively impacts housing rental stock for working people and the middle class, not the homeless which is a totally separate issue, but whatever.

They had to find a way to make it sound good. Come on, letā€™s tax those struggling to find a way to get by and give to the homeless!

One wonders what percentage (%) actually gets to the homeless, after local government (ā€˜administration costsā€™) skims their ā€˜shareā€™ off the top.

4 Likes