Airbnb Is Spending Millions of Dollars to Make Nightmares Go Away

Here’s a whole new set of things to worry about…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-15/airbnb-spends-millions-making-nightmares-at-live-anywhere-rentals-go-away

2 Likes

Just a bunch of post-IPO PR BS. Nothing to see here and they are not remotely interested in doing anything to change.

1 Like

That article puts a different light on why Air can’t be bothered to pay hosts for damage done to their rentals. They have much bigger concerns and money pouring out for people damaged using rentals on their platform.

Airbnb would not be financially feasible as a company if it had to maintain safety and security (including compliance with fire, etc. regulations) at the level of the hotel industry.

For PR reasons, the company is simply not going to make it explicit that both guests and hosts are taking on a greater degree of risk for whatever benefits they perceive STR platforms to be providing (revenue compared to another business, unique or less costly travel, etc.)

This type of less-regulated lodging has always existed and I wouldn’t want it to be entirely stifled. However, if I were in charge of a municipality, I would pursue full disclosure of host data from Airbnb and other platforms, and roll in the cost of a background check and possibly an intiial physical inspection with an STR license fee, requiring smoke and CO detector, for all STR properties. I would offer a reward for turning in unlicensed hosts. This would also help ensure collection of local lodging tax.

Airbnb could make a deal with Schlage or other lock company and send basic keypad locks to hosts, as they did with smoke detectors.

4 Likes

This is my 2nd time around with Air and new at this location. They recently asked me to provide a copy of a utility bill, mortgage payment dated within the last 2 years. I guess this was to prove that I lived here.

2 Likes

Are you aware that many listings have no possible source of CO? Why should a listing have to have a detector for something that couldn’t be present?

It’s like mandating that a house needs baby gates when there are never any babies there.

1 Like

This is exactly what is happening where I live and host. November 2021 is the compliance date

I guess one could distinguish, if no fuel burning appliance, attached garage or fireplace. Many detectors on the market now are combo smoke/CO, so that’s what I was imagining.

Also you could have dumb guests who try to grill indoors. And in my fantasy municipality, I don’t want my compliance unit to spend time determining if the rental space is CO exempt, so I’d require dual purpose alarms.

2 Likes

If you haven’t read the entire article, you should. I really have empathy for the former safety support staff and the trauma that they, as well as the victimized hosts and guests, endured. It appears that Chesky is was less worried about that than the IPO.

Business Week’s reporting is always straightforward, and Bloomberg publications are known for tackling company risk stories. After all, they have a proprietary stock trading system that makes money when the market is busy, and news drives transactions.

At least they seem to be informed about what Air really is, unlike the consumer help columnists, travel writers, Murdoch tabloids, and online complaints we usually see.

2 Likes

Here is another:

I agree with other comments here. My thoughts were that ABB wants to keep all negative press suppressed. Both pre and post IPO. After IPO, many employees can’t sell their shares during a lockout period. So whatever it takes to keep stock price up so insiders can sell at crazy high prices before the reality of the business is fully known.

2 Likes

As expected, the mainstream media outside the US now running this story…

JF

No wonder they respond when you go and complain on social media!
They really don’t like bad publicity do they……

1 Like

I’ll bet Chesky’s madly scrambling to come up with something to counter this exposé right about now.

1 Like

I don’t get what the fuss is about. Don’t all corporations pay millions each year to prevent and counter bad publicity?

The way I see it, it’s creating a buzz because Airbnb makes it so difficult for the average host to claim for damages and aren’t supportive when guests sneak in extra guests or pets or break house rules, or even have guests who turn out to be criminals.

Then we find out they’ve been paying out millions to keep the real big cases, that have lawyers behind them and the potential for devastating press, quiet.

The guests and hosts who also have been screwed, but just end up frustrated and complaining, are left out in the cold.
If the platform had good customer service, so guests and hosts generally felt supported, I think most people would look at it just like you are.

2 Likes

Well, the story made at least 8 major publications or online sites, and all of them are being shared on Twitter and Facebook.

1 Like

I am having a big battle with getting a resoltiuon paid out right now. It is super frustrating. A superhost for 8 years and thousands of 5 star guests. But I am trying to get paid out for guest damage and they are being really annoying. They are being super polite and “empathetic” but giving exactly ZERO resolution. I am guessing they are hopingthat I will give up and go away.
However, I will not.

They have an excuse and a policy for everything and they are hiding behind it. The flowery language to my face while stabbing me in the back is driving me crazy.

6 Likes

Agree 100% … I have Schlage sense locks on all my doors that change with every guest. They pick the code, and if they don’t it’s the last 4 digits of the phone number on their Airbnb account, And those indoor hotel bolt thingies so guests feel confident NO ONE can get into their space when they’re inside.

Oh yes, but it still makes news when those stories are leaked and its exposed how far companies will go to cover up bad publicity.

1 Like