Airbnb is on the ballot today

Do they have fire regulations in these transient tenements?

They are nice apartments. Iā€™m sure they passed building inspections for regular occupancy, as they were built in the last 3 years.

We treat our rich tourists very well. :wink:

Meanwhile, the incredibly run-down hotel across town is being revamped as ā€œefficienciesā€ in a low-income housing scheme.

So the rich folks get the new construction or existing rentals downtown. The local workers get pushed to a 40-year old transient tenement Red Roof Inn look alike.

2 Likes

We donā€™t have any regulations here, either, about STR and/or Airbnb. Weā€™re lucky to be in a township rather than a city. And there are no hotels at all in the township. I can find only one other Airbnb location in our township.

With luck, we will continue to escape regulations or restrictions here.

I just went through it in NM, and it was a pain, but I imagine it could have been worse. Some of the regulations make my cute and cozy home away from home feel like a commercial office space, but it passed inspection and Iā€™m fully legal. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m the very first STR host in the city to go through it though. The inspectors (including the fire chief) didnā€™t seem to really know what they were doing. Hopefully, itā€™ll go easier for the next host.

2 Likes

We already have fire inspections and regulations about parking and such because weā€™re a legal multi-unit for LTR (we donā€™t have any STR regulations in my city). Now that I look back at the wording, I imagine weā€™re pretty much already set-up for that kind of thing. It might have been the ā€œperiodicā€ bit that sounded so bad to me. Thanks for giving perspective on it!

2 Likes

I have 3 listings and I manage them all myself. I may add one moreā€”a wonderful Art Moderne historic homeā€”but that would be my limit. If I canā€™t provide my guests with a personalized stay and give them (and the house) any individual attention they need then I wouldnā€™t want to do it.

Thereā€™s no shortage of affordable rental housing here for residents and tons of empty housing stock. I read that 10% of the single family homes in our town are vacant. We are losing population here, not gaining it. You can buy a decent home ridiculously cheap here.

3 Likes

This is true in my town also. Many vacant houses.

2 Likes

I completely agree, not surprisingly. Real problems only surface with distant, hands off hosts, especially those who double as investors/builders. It dismantles a community.

2 Likes

Not in my experience. I (and several other local hosts) reported an unsafe listing - a junk filled rickety trailer, fire hazard, remote location, advertising 10+ party guests with one toiletā€¦no permit from the countyā€¦6 months passed, nothing done. With the entire region on alert for fireā€¦we were legitimately concerned.

I have long expected the tragedy that made national news to be fire related. When I see basements stuffed with beds and only one means of egress my skin crawls. And Iā€™ve seen a host here post pictures of his basement listing and when it was pointed out the listing is dangerous and in violation of code, he told us to mind our own business and disappeared.

2 Likes