Airbnb is on the ballot today

Ouch. I guess next they will try to take it to the courts? Okay, how about a bet on how many days before we see the posts from a Jersey City host looking to skirt the law.

3 Likes

Or at least a brawl later.

1 Like

Iā€™d Like to smack the AirBnB representative:

ā€œHome sharing?ā€ Sorry, but thatā€™s not what they are ending.

Here she is again:

Perhaps this is the tipping point, after all.

Is it possible heā€™s helping host for friends? Iā€™ve heard of this in our city: 1 person started, it was going well, and other friends got interested and suddenly the couple became ā€˜property managersā€™. In Austin, TX in most residential zoning you can only rent out your primary residence which is a little annoying, but I get it in a town thatā€™s struggling to keep up with housing demand!

Nah. Jersey City just thinks a lot of itself.

1 Like

But so does Airbnb. More and more residents are going to demand regulation if Airbnb doesnā€™t find a way to do it.

1 Like

Didnā€™t this get un-done? Is this what you were talking about @KKC?

That totally describes Austin. I got pushed out of my hometown.

One guy Iā€™m thinking of is the owner of the properties. Heā€™s an attorney who may hire help with cleaning and whatnot but he seems to run them. I think he started with his home, moved to a bigger home, turned the housekeeper quarters into Airbnb, then did so well with those two he added more homes. Another guy started with his guest room, added the granny flat in back of that property and then bought a stand alone home.

Actually not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

Not that Iā€™m aware of. But it does depend on zoning. So, downtown you can still operate an AirBNB that isnā€™t your primary residence. And even then the city will limit the % allowed. If memory serves, I think theyā€™re eliminating that in 2020? 2022? To be fair, Iā€™m not as familiar with the rules around multi-family dwellings, those might be different than a single family home.

It looks like this measure is going to pass at around 85% in favor.

We have one in our area!!! I keep thinking WTF and reporting the listing as it makes all hosts look bad.

1 Like

Is Airbnb responsive to these issues?

1 Like

I donā€™t really know. Iā€™m in a small market so Iā€™d see his stuff and then it would disappear and then, unfortunately, reappearā€¦same bad photos, same ridiculous pricing. I havenā€™t seen the listings in awhile but I never got any feedback from Airbnb, just kept reporting the listing as a concern.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Iā€™d be willing to report these. What do you report them for? Is ā€œGrossā€ an option :laughing:Or is it because they keep re-listing? It seems this re-listing thing is so common that it seems like itā€™s totally okay to do it?

Gross ā€“ if only. Since I get mostly first-timers, I grimace at the thought of some novice walking into that disaster and never coming back to the area or giving my listing a chance. I canā€™t remember now which option I selected, I think it was something like not accurately represented/description.

1 Like

Airbnb likes to point to their home-share hosts when they want the warm-fuzzy PR image, but they know mega-hosts are their revenue and growth generators.

My town just implemented new regulations last year, but it only applies to residential areas. Homes must be owner-occupied and are divided into low and high impact based on number of booked nights and rooms on offer. You canā€™t legally rent a whole house for <30 days.

Theyā€™ve neglected to address the commercial districts entirely. Seven or eight years ago, almost every apartment over a downtown shop was a long-term rental apartment. Iā€™d guess at least 60% of them are converted to STR now.

Same with apartment complexes and condos. In one downtown apartment complex, if you drive through it on a weekend, itā€™s largely out of state plates.