Airbnb is allowing unlimited kids under 2 for FREE!

Another useless phone call, but I didn’t expect anything more than that.

The rep. finally said his co-worker could see the new format, and had no answers about anything. He will send me the usual follow up email and I will reply with my feedback as to the many reasons why this is a horrible idea.

I asked if the guest can alter their booking request in order to include the infants in the total adult guest count. He said they would need to cancel that booking request, and then enter a new one. Has anyone here had experience with getting a guest to alter a booking request?

I suppose I could always send a special offer…not sure if that will allow me to edit the nubmer of guests though…???

Does anyone here actually consider the term “infant” to mean a walking 23 month old?? I dont!! - that’s a toddler to me. I don’t care what Webster’s dictionary says.

1 Like

They are anyway creating mess and take place.

Where will they put them if it’s not couting as person?

You mean in the guest count??

It will say “2 guests, 1 infant” - ages 2 and older it goes into the adult guest count and additional person fees apply

2 Likes

I agree but our place can get max 6 persons.

So they can now book for 6 adults and 5 infants. I just feel it will not work so well…Where will they put the 5 infants?

2 Likes

Same here!

When I open an icognito screen in my browser, I can add free babies!
Children pay the required price and are added to the normal guests.

I will add to my house rules “No Free Babies”.

2 Likes

Only babies in bondage? Claimed babies? I would reconsider the language!

4 Likes

Mine too. My place has a maximum of 6 guests total. Sometimes I rent to two different couples and they each have kids. I also have had some people ask to book for 4 adults, 6 children!

1 Like

Yes, I allow them when they are caged, and muzzled.

7 Likes

If anyone has one to spare, I’d love a Free Baby now that my youngest is at college!

5 Likes

I said this before and I’ll say it again. Any infants that show up at my house will be fed to the coyotes.

5 Likes

I really can’t imagine that this is going to happen across the board. (I am the eternal optimist :slight_smile: )

Our apartment is 450 square feet. It has one queen bed. In theory, a couple could bring half a dozen babies with them. This surely couldn’t happen? If so, it’s totally bonkers.

2 Likes

In your case, since you are on instant book, then they can only put in a booking request and you can decline. But I am positive (not an eternal optimist - lol) that the next step will be to threaten to deactive listings that don’t accept a certain percentage of booking requests.

I would accept an adult and one child (preferably about 12 years old or over!) but the problem is from Airbnb’s point of view that a) any babies/toddlers could easily be injured because of our exterior staircase, hard tiled floors, cabinets with glass doors, balcony, exterior walkway, open water and b) the guests would simply not have a good experience because of the above and the fact that we don’t have cribs, toys or any of the other things required when travelling with young children.

I thought that Airbnb’s goal was for all their guests to have a great time!

I’m a grandmother - I love kids (preferably ones who are closely related to me :slight_smile: ) and my 11 year old granddaughter would be fine in the rental but the four year old wouldn’t be - it just too dangerous. If I wouldn’t have my own four year old flesh and blood staying there for safety reasons then why would I want guests’ children? It’s their safety I’m concerned about, nothing else.

3 Likes

I just created another account and started to book my place and it was simply the # of guests. It’s probably something they’re randomly testing.

Did you click on the drop down arrow to the far right? Do you want me to tell you if I see it?

I’ve tried clicking on other listings to book as well. For me (now anyways) it simply says number of guests.

So I take it the far right drop down arrow doesn’t take you to other options?

Nope, just # of guests. Tried it on several other listings. It’s at least not in STL for now. Maybe I’ll try it in another market.

1 Like

You can see what it looks like in LA market. I picked a random listing and it showed

1 Like