AirBnB host strike due to new refund policy

I haven’t visited the Air community forum for quite some time. There was a 18+ page post about the new policy. 18 pages of unhappy hosts. It has now disappeared. Go figure. Also a valuable poster Sarah has been banned from that forum. Too bad Air doesn’t seem to care very much about the hosts
Without HOSTS there would be NO GUESTS

3 Likes

I can still see it, but I had to search for it. https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Another-update-which-will-increase-guest-refund-requests/td-p/1590285

1 Like

But she’s here so you haven’t lost her.

One thing I liked about the CC was knowing that they were real people/hosts unlike some of the trolls who show up here. But since it was an Airbnb operation, I never spent much time there.

2 Likes

Hmmm. My concern about participating in this would be that Air has the ability to delist us any time over any issue. Poof. Gone.

I could see them disappearing hosts who block that week. Their form of punishment. I know the chances are slim but there is a chance.

I have a private room. I have no other listing options that will provide the visibility that Air does.

I don’t want to become Sarah.

8 Likes

We are also unlikely to suffer from this policy because we are on premises. It’s hard to claim there are pests or bedbugs or no AC or hot water when we are right here. We also have no economic pull with Airbnb. They make their money on the high dollar listings but most those are corporate hosts and remote hosts. They are the ones that will suffer.

2 Likes

She isn’t delisted, she’s just kicked off the Community Center.

1 Like

No, hosts are not blocking that week. They are snoozing their listing so guests looking through AirBnB will find fewer options to book.

1 Like

Trolls do show up there, but they are almost right away booted, as it’s pretty easy to see through their posts. They’ll say they’ve had great success as a host with some product and post a link.

The first clue is their thinly veiled advertising, the second is that they usually have one of those anonymous grey head sillouettes as a profile photo, and because you can click on any poster’s profile photo there, which takes you to their profile page, you right away see that they just joined, have no listing and not even any reviews as guests.

So they get reported as scammers.

1 Like

Blocking, snoozing, unavailable for checkin whatever. I would hope you got my point. Making specific dates unavailable for a targeted protest could put you on Air’s radar. Many hosts have made it on their radar for absolutely nothing.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with your decision to not f** with AirBnB, but you have this wrong - you are temporarily hiding your listing by snoozing, not blocking particular dates. I snooze my listing for a day or two here and there when I’m making big changes on the listing or the calendar/rates.

Nope. It looks like mass hysteria to me. I really don’t understand.

I’m not far from you Christine and I agree. I can’t imagine a worse week out of the entire year to do this.

1 Like

No, that isn’t what happened, so don’t go spreading false info about my situation just because you don’t like me.

I had gotten a previous warning about what was deemed to be a discriminatory post. (BTW, I have gotten several emails from other hosts who saw that post that was deemed discrimatory, before it was censored, who told me it was ridiculous for that post to be classified as discriminatory)

The post that got me banned was not made known to me. But the banishment came right after I pushed back when a moderator chastised both me and another poster for making “personal comments” to Catherine Powell, asking her to name one positive change that had happened for hosts since she became head of hosting.

My pushback said that there is nothing “personal” about holding an Airbnb employee, who is supposed to be representing hosts, accountable.

6 Likes

I’m not trying to argue. And I get exactly what you’re saying. All of us make certain dates unavailable for whatever reason and I do many times during the year because I have a lot of direct book and returning guests.

I am just saying making THE specific dates of a targeted protest unavailable could put you on their radar. These dates are being posted on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and who knows where else.

It would not be hard even for Airbnb to connect the dots.

My very tame post got deleted so I assumed it was gone.

Well, if people are afraid to strike or protest, in any situation, then nothing ever changes- the people in power continue to do exactly as they please. . Amazon workers just achieved unionization because 2 employees worked for it relentlessly in spite of the possiblity that they could lose their jobs by doing so.

1 Like

It got deleted or it just disappeared? That forum is glitchy. Posts “time out” when you are writing them and when you click on Reply, it’s gone and never posts. Usually when users think their post was deleted, it wasn’t- it just disappears into cyberspace. Try posting it again.

What a lot of posters do who know that, is to copy the post before hitting Reply, so you can easily paste it back in a new response box if it disappears.

3 Likes

I have no issues with the way Air handles my listing. And I think there is a lot of projection about what these new changes will actually mean for hosts. If, after they’ve been instituted, and they’re harmful, then try to do something. I don’t see the need to get pre-angered over something because someone thinks I should.

I just made superhost for the 26th consecutive time. I’ve called the help line exactly twice. As a retired widow the extra income is awesome for me and the friends I’ve made through my listing mean a lot to me.

I don’t see these issues affecting me as a private room host who offers exactly what I advertise. And I have never seen host pushback on Air policy making a difference.

3 Likes

I am also a home-share host and have never had any issues with guests that involved Airbnb. But just because something doesn’t affect me directly doesn’t mean I won’t stand up and push back against bad policies. Things aren’t all about me.

7 Likes

There is no comparison, this is absurd.

Amazon workers are employees who are fighting against unsafe working conditions and low pay. Airbnb hosts are business owners. We are not employees and Airbnb is not our employer. There is nothing to fight against.

It is a business relationship. You don’t strike against a business relationship, you just end the relationship if it no longer benefits your business.

5 Likes

I see- so if you had a problem with a supplier you used for your business, where you felt you had been dealt with unfairly, you wouldn’t attempt to resolve the issue because you aren’t their employee?