Airbnb has published a list of the top new hosts per state USA

Ohhhhhhhh pretty……….

1 Like

It’s nice but I think y’all are being totally inefficient about this TV and fireplace thing. We just put the fireplace on the TV, saves so much room and easy clean up :rofl:

tv fireplace1

Funny thing is that we do put the fireplace on the TV so that guests arrive to a “fire” during the winter. Oddly, we get loads of good feedback on it, lol.

3 Likes

Stunning! I could do that in my place - the wall between the Palladian windows is perfect for this and I’d love an electric fireplace.

And you got it! Stunning. Love that blue!

I was surprised that I instantly recognized the house in MA situated in a neighboring town. It’s not a competitor since it will attract a different set of guests. I almost wonder if they had a list of well reviewed new hosts and just picked at random.

2 Likes

There is a small rental in my town where the host was named best in state ( not the new host list ). Their listing is dramatically underpriced, and the host is not compliant in meeting the permit legislation and limitations in our town.

There was another Airbnb list earlier this year that was very similar, here’s the thread about it.

Just like that other list, there are probably other Airbnbs that are equally worthy of being on the list, if not more worthy.

I’m always happy to see a sampling of other listings although I find “per state” to be a poor measurement.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see my state’s is a cute little place, kind of unique. I like it! I thought it might be one of these cookie-cutter, professionally run places I hate.

2 Likes

Oppps!..…………………………………

That host has an STR permit number listed. I wonder if they added it later, added after complaints, lied to get it or if the licensing board is corrupt? @georgygirlofairbnb do you know?

1 Like

The licensing board is not corrupt. And it is one person who works very hard. They rent an ADU and are allowed to accept and advertise a maximum guest number of 3. I dont know if they have changed but in the past they were over occupancy. As I said they were also very underpriced. I assume we are talking of the same listing but I am not positive.

2 Likes

It’s the one on the “top ranked” list I linked above.

That’s good to hear. We don’t require licensing in my city but based on my experience with the “inspectors” who deal with remodeling permits here, I would expect them to permit STRs that shouldn’t be licensed. So while I support regulation in theory, in my town it would probably have plenty of folks who slide in who shouldn’t.

1 Like

Most subjective list. I looked at the one in my state and it was oh so dreary.

2 Likes

It looks to me like the entire point of this article is to lure in new hosts with the idea that it’s easy money.

“New Hosts on Airbnb have earned $6 billion in income since the pandemic began, and in Q3 all Hosts earned a record $12.8 billion in income from Airbnb — up 27 percent from Q3 2019.”

And I think that is exactly why they chose simple places, to promote the notion that anyone can make a ton of money.

I looked at about 15-20 of the listings. Most have what I consider to be incomplete listing descriptions, giving scanty information and utilizing the various sections, like “The Space” and “Guest Access”, incorrectly.

There are also lots of photos that are those wonky photos that totally distort the space, or the photos are dark and unappealing. One listing even contravenes the non-discrimination policy by stating “We welcome guests over 21 years of age.” It wasn’t a condo or anything that might have age restrictions in their HOA rules- it was a cabin in a rural area.

What state was it in? If it wasn’t in MA then it’s likely legal. Airbnb only prohibits age discrimination in places “where it is prohibited by law”. The only state I know of that applies anti-discrimination laws to STR is MA (not that it keeps hosts from stating it anyway, the Cape is almost all 25+).

Outside of states that have their own specific anti-discrimination laws, there is no law against age discrimination (except for in employment but that only protects people 40+) and most states only apply it to housing, not transient lodging like hotels and STR. MA is unique in that when it made it’s STR laws it categorized them specifically so that that the MA anti-discrimination laws applied to them instead of categorizing them like hotels, which don’t fall under the MA anti-discrimination laws but it’s unique.

Other than ages 40+ being protected in Employment/by employers by the federal ADEA law, the idea that there are laws prohibiting age discrimination is more or less a rumor. One reason for this is the FHA laws (fair housing) prohibit discrimination against Familial Status which prohibits many landlords (but not all) from refusing to rent to people with kids, effectively protecting people under 18, it is does not actually protect against age discrimination in and of itself, only kids and babies and only as Familial Status.

That whole condo thing you mention has to with kids and babies, under the fair housing laws, again it’s familial status not specifically age. Some communities, condo or otherwise, are made for 55+ and they are exempt from having to accept people with kids and babies.

Yes that is the one. It is above a garage and a legal ADU, not far from me.
As I said, they are only allowed to advertise and accept 3 people, and not 4.
It may be semantics…but that’s the permit regulations, and they are currently in violation.
It is a big difference between 3 to 4 guests really in filling a unit.
Our town uses the purchased software to track and close un-permitted STR.
However, the state of SC is currently reviewing legistlation to override the town zoning. I suspect that is coming out of Myrtle Beach, but not sure.

2 Likes

Are they going to become more strict or less strict?

1 Like

It is interesting what makes a property appealing.

On a Facebook STR owner & managers groups, a person listed 5 locations they were evaluating for a purchase. One was Blowing Rock, NC.

It’s beautiful there. Within a reasonable drive are: Hiking trails. Ski slopes. Blue Ridge Parkway. Trout fishing. Mountain crafts. Appalachian State University football. Unique dining. Craft beers. Shopping.

Some guy jumps in calling it Hicksville with narrow roads that make you feel like you are going to fall off the mountain and nothing interesting there. I guess he considered it too bucolic for his taste.

What he considered undesirable, is what I liked.

People, just people…

That’s why I say find a lane and stay in it. Know what you want to attract and what fits your own style. In one part of those mountains you have people who want to get away to as close to wilderness as you can find back east. Other folks want the atmosphere of Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. Some people like modern, some 1950’s cottage. Some folks think a wool Pendelton blanket is the supreme luxury, some people can’t stand itchy animal fibers. I’ve seen some highly rated, well booked places full of kitschy stuff that I don’t like at at.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying. I look back, my first year hosting the same could’ve been said about my listings. It has taken me a long time to populate all the information. I’m hoping their listing text will mature over time.

I always interpreted that to mean the exact opposite. That you aren’t allowed to discriminate based on age unless it is prohibited by law for someone, say under the age of 25, to rent there.

Their assistance animal policy is written in exactly the sane way.