Airbnb gives disadvantages to active hosts

I’m quite surprised Airbnb hosts only need 10 reservations to become an Airbnb superhost.

I’m renting out several apartments and rooms full time. Last year I had 500-600 Airbnb bookings and I’m putting all my time and energy into this. With this amount of work and with so many different people arriving under all kind of circumstances it’s nearly impossible to meet Airbnbs requirements for becoming a super host. For example, the likeliness of something extraordinary coming up and the need for having to cancel a reservation is much bigger when you have 500-600 bookings a year versus renting only a few times a year. And no matter how many listings or guests you have, only one cancellation will ruin the chance for becoming a super host.

Some of my competitors in the area rent out their space only a few times a year, maybe 15-20 times. They are now being rewarded for being “dedicated super hosts” as Airbnb describe it, and they enjoy travel coupons, PRIORITY support, badges and product exclusives. A host like me on the other hand, who accepts 500-600 Airbnb bookings a year, is in the Airbnb system categorized as less dedicated and not eligible to enjoy extra support and product exclusives.

The competition in the area is fierce, and small things like this can mean more or fewer bookings, and Airbnb is giving me a clear disadvantage over my much less active competitors.

I’ve mentioned this a few times, but Airbnb really seem to ignore it.

I think active hosts really should put collective pressure on Airbnb to change this. Anyone other is the same situation?

I just saw your post on the new community area of airbnb. I didn’t post there because I think I’m done with that forum, it’s so irritating. I’ve just been knocked down after posting support for a multi-listing user that’s been shut down by airbnb.

Yes, I totally agree with you. The superhost thing is crazy, and how can a host with 10 bookings have the experience that one assumes comes with the label? I think you need at least 100 bookings to be able to have the breadth of knowledge and experience that would start to qualify you for superhost.

I’m not sure that there is any actual search placement advantage - I was a superhost for five years before I lost it due to a cancellation, and it never gave me any bump in rankings.

3 Likes

Are you renting out entire places though? Or a spare room in your house. That is where the difference lays. Ten people for me in one month with us working full time it’s quite an achievement.

Super host is stupid anyway most guests have no idea. They are just really looking at price and location.

2 Likes

I hear you. Someone 6 months ago beg ME to cancel them, so they could get their booking fee back, so they said. I had no idea this would bump me out of Superhost contention, despite the fact I have met all other requirements by a long shot. My place is even the first spot shown in their new AirBnB ad campaign (the private island one) and I am still not Superhost, though picked for excellence all around, I think.

Its a great company, but this quirk needs to be addressed more brightly.

1 Like

I wondered if your place is also shown in the skydiving ad they are running! They ought to do something special for you because you are extra cool, and I mean it!

1 Like

I’ll never be a super host and I have been doing this six years now. Super host is overrated.

2 Likes

Excellent point Kirsty. Like you I’m working full time while taking in guests. It’s more work than most would think, however it’s not brain surgery. Requiring a minimum of 100 guests is silly. Also, if you’re dealing with 400+ guests a year then you obviously are running a hotel-like business and delegate work rather than personally do it yourself, which would be impossible.

2 Likes

J_Wang:
I do delegate things such as cleaning and organizing, but I’m trying my best to meet all my guests personally. However, with so many people coming and going every day it’s obvious I cannot spend the whole day with all my guests.

Gift cards and badges for great hosts with even small volumes is okay, but I think it’s very unfair to give people hosting only a few times advantages such as priority support and product exclusives. If someone really needs that it must be the hosts with high volume.

Airbnb’s ethos is about “real” people welcoming people in a one-to-one relationship (as opposed to BtoC). I do not say they genuinely believe in that ethos, but this is what they sell.

Plus in a political context where several cities want to make professional hosting illegal, Airbnb needs to do everything they can to appear as a homesharing community and not a rental platform. It is not surprising that they favor smaller scale operations.

There are other platforms who give advantages to professional hosts and property managers (HomeAway?), and as a smaller-scale host I don’t think it is unfair of them.

6 Likes

Why kona, thank you; I think the same of you. Yes. that is our place. It is amazing the team they send, the 1000 pictures, coordination, technical issues (they flew two drones), etc etc. All for 46 second spot.

1 Like

agree. for a modestly priced rental like mine it would set up too many expectations.

2 Likes

Jan I understand your frustration I do my own and my sister’s but manage a team to make it personal each time for the Bimini trip. It seams to help. We are going live AirBnb in late March April so I will tell you how that goes.

I am a single listing airbnber but have done about 23 right now, no where near you and I agree it is exhausting, Like Kona said I am glad that for the most parts I am 5 stars I know I won’t be in the future with the French, tampa folks that are just some folks I should not accept,and general bad luck.

Guests don’t look at this and the pressure is off, 4.5 stars and a slow gain again to 5 is worth more then a stooped badge.

Mearns, forgive my nosiness… but, enquiring minds need to know…:wink: Did they pay you for the use of your place in their ads? Did they do anything extra like offer to give you an extra percentage on your bookings?? Just curious! Don’t feel like you have to answer.

I am still under NDA with them, but they were a pleasure to deal with and treated me very well. There is nothing cheap about AirBnB. And their people are young, enthusiastic and just plain fun to be around. It is a very dynamic company. (Kristina how do I send you a private message?)

1 Like

OH!! Of course! I bet you are. Silly me! I will send you a private message, and you will see a little green note by your profile picture; then you can answer!

i have been a host in london since start of 2011 - since then the 2 rooms are let back to back since = to start with i couldnt apply for superhost has you had to be doing it for a year back then - and someone had to nominate you - since 2013 i noticed that hosts going for 6 months were able to get host status - i never applied cause another host at a meeting told me they had lost their super status = to be honest i thing that guests expectations are personal so you cant please everyone all of the time - i do breakfast every day i cook for special events organise and pay for guests taxi if late or early - doing 4am alarm calls to check out guests wait up till 1 or 2am if guests are running late - give medicine to guests arriving with colds - guests who lock me out go to sleep and have to call locksmiths at 3am to let me in - throw out loads of rubbish - some write reviews some complains even when i do special things - i let people rent a room and then if i have to go away have the whole flat 220 a night for 55 - offer travel cards bike cards guests can use my tate card to get into museum shows for free - send keys abroad so that guests on business travel can arrive when they arrive - organise hotels and leave keys for guests that make booking mistakes - and on and on of the 660 odd couples and singles that have stayed since then 450 have written reviews only one gave 1 star - so do i want superhost nooooooo- cause i worry that guests will expect even more of me than i already give and can vote me down if i dont - worse ratings i do not need -

I would not expect this as a Air guest. You are doing way to much as a host!

4 Likes

The criteria for SuperHost is not secret or hidden so there should be no surprise who makes the cut and who doesn’t. I agree that 10 rentals is a bit low for the initial evaluation…id like to see at least 10 and at least one year initially. We were one of those who qualified in the first quarter we listed our property (and so far, have maintained it ever since) and frankly, I was pretty green at the time. I’ve gained quite a bit of experience since then but I guarantee, I offer a more personal experience to our 70 or 100 guests per year than you do to your 500-600. You’re running a hotel or hostel and sheer volume does not make a SuperHost. All that said, it’s not that big a deal…guests haven’t a clue that the designation exists nor what it means. It hasn’t added to our bookings or our pricing but has probably added to our costs in the effort to “over deliver”.

2 Likes

Agree, with KJ, Antonia! With all due respect, have you lost your mind!?? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Super host is overrated! (Of course that’s easy for me to say, since I will never be one, hahah!)