Airbnb Experiences Neon Workshop?

I’ve been considering creating a 2 day Neon Sign workshop experience where people can learn to bend glass one on one and produce a real neon sign that they could take home. The class would cost $500 including all of the training and materials.

Do you think anyone would actually pay that and join, or would this be a waste of time?

I think it’s fantastic idea and would take it myself except the price tag might put me off. That’s a lot of money. How much of it is for materials?

2 Likes

This definitely is interesting and would be a sure hit on Airbnb!
But as said by @Keugenia the price is definitely what would stop me from doing it.
My suggestion, though you never asked for it, try to lower the costs with materials by buying in bulk.(Assuming that the materials used are expensive).

1 Like

My cost for materials for 2 days is easily $150 due to the fact that novice glass benders are going to break a lot of glass learning. If you’ve never bent glass before, it also takes quite a bit of time to learn which is why Two 4 hour days would be the minimum.

Alternatively, I could make it more like an interactive experience rather than a class where the person would help me design and bend a sign over the course of 2-3 hours and the person could take the sign home. I could do something like that, charge $150, and still turn a profit.

1 Like

150$ with for 2-3 hours of fun time and a souvenir sounds like a perfect deal.
After the class take a survey asking about experience and pitch them a more advanced class for the said 500$, not everyone but someone will definitely be interested.

Please note that I am no expert on neon sign bending or on airbnb experiences, it is just my intuitive opinion. But just give it a try, what do you have to lose?

Good luck!

3 Likes

I agree with @truecomforthomes!

I checked a couple of the local glass blowing classes in my area NC (not neon but a glass related experience).

They offer a two day intense beginners class. It takes several months to fill.

They do better offering 1/2 day and 1 day experiences. In other words more frequent, less expensive classes generate more interest & more income.

I did one of their 2 hour $35 demo followed by an optional/additional hands-on experience ($20) with 10 people. Demo 35 x10 = $350 + hands on 20 x 2 = 40. By noon, they earned $390.

They used the intro class to build interest in participation in the 2 day learning experience.

I personnallly would be more willing to invest a shorter amount of time on the experience because When I’m traveling, I’m there to do more than one thing.

I think a neon class would be interesting and have appeal. I think it depends on your region if your guests are willing to invest 2 full days. I believe if property structured, you would have a winner!