Airbnb encouraging guest request alternate check-in/out times-Is this new?

I guess I am the contrarian here. As someone who uses Airbnb as a traveler and a host I don’t really have a problem with this. Often times i have days open between guests, the room is clean already, and i work from home. If someone asks and it’s convenient for me to check in early, or check out late that’s great, and might actually work better for me. If that time doesn’t work I will just say “sorry, but I can’t”.
I am always looking for ways to differentiate myself from local hotels and delight my guests. If it’s convenient for me and helpful for the guest I often offer early check-in and/or late check out, even if they don’t ask. As a traveler I’d be delighted if the host offered me the same.
Sorry to be difficult!
Cliff and Karin Keller
Superhosts in Cardiff, CA

1 Like

Much of this depends on one’s listing. I am priced under $50 average per night and I have lots of one nighters. I’m booked abou 90% of my available nights. But I do block off nights here and there to catch my breath and a break. If I got $100 a night, was booked 70-80% of the time and frequently had the day before open I’d be a lot less annoyed by Airbnb’s presupmtousness.

@cliffkeller

Several of the people in this forum try to accommodate requests for early/late checkout/check-in. They’ve posted in other threads including me.

Sept-May I can usually accommodate it but during my peak session multiple requests are too much for me to keep track of.

The number or requests has increased appearing to be a result of Airbnb encouraging guests to ask for “more”.

The asking for “more” is hitting me in the maximum # guests too. Today’s story: original booking request 6 people, they want to bring 8,
“ I’m sorry due to code 6 is the maximum occupancy.”
“But two are smalll children.”
“ maximum is 6”
“But now the teenagers must stay on the floor at grandma’s”
‘I wish my answer could be different. 6 is the maximum. Unfortunately there are neighbors who will report excess guests to the city and
HOA”
“But there is plenty of room”
“The maximum is 6. Unauthorized guests will violate the house rules”
“But you don’t charge extra for extra guests”.
“Maximum is 6. I would hate to see you lose your reservation because you violated the house rules”.

I’m quite adamant about my check-in time being 11am and I’ve rarely had any guests take issue with it as I explain I live here and I need the morning to ensure all is well before they arrive.

This wasn’t good enough for an Italian who made an enquiry explaining he ‘needed’ to get a shower at 8:30am after his flight so could I please change it as he could hardly be expected to wait around drowning in his own sweat presumably. I didn’t point it out but it’s the same issue for others travelling so you know, just chill. He got quite indignant about it and I suggested he go elsewhere for his booking.

3 Likes