AirBnb Doing Quality Control?

That is very strange Yana!

Yes its very strange .

You actually believe that?

2 Likes

Yes, I just had a psycho guest (pls, I know psycho when I meet it) who left me a very low rating (and Airbnb wont remove it even though it doesnt meet the basic standards they set themselves). Then about 2 weeks later, I keep getting these emails from Airbnb saying you dont meet basic criteria…so before this person came along, and immediately after this person came along, my guests have left mostly 5 but one 4. Tell me how this works. I think she just rang Airbnb (like my catastrophic rating wasnt bad enough) and complained.

I get that. I fear impending blacklist. Just the way the wind is blowing. For no justifiable reason.

I just recently had a guest that stole a number of random items amounting to just over $100 (charger, blanket, toiletries), smoked marijuana on the property, had unapproved guests stay overnight and other annoying things. He also sent me an inappropriate text. The first night of his short 2-night stay, his first review popped up and it was pretty bad and made me very nervous. He apparently stayed with this host before coming to my place. I contacted her she told me he also took things from her place, smoked weed, didn’t check out on time, etc. A local guy looking for a place closer to the city to party with a few friends it seemed. I was told I could lose my Superhost status if I canceled, so I bit the bullet and didn’t sleep a wink. After he(they) checked out and I surveyed everything I called Air again, this time of course they were very understanding and I told them my main concern was future hosts. They blocked his account for further bookings but couldn’t tell me if he had any other upcoming reservations.

Of course there’s always exceptions, but I keep hearing that local guests are usually bad news. I know the worst guest we’ve had so far was local. She and her 2 year old were local and her “guest” (that’s how she referred to him) had very loud sex throughout her stay. We live upstairs (guests know that), and I mean, she was SCREAMING. After she checked out we found leftover sex toys and underwear all over the apartment :see_no_evil:

Nothing in comparison to someone stealing from you though! I’m sorry that happened! Thanks for keeping that guest away from future hosts though :slight_smile:

Violating your rules should be a penalty free cancellation.

This should also be a non-negotiable. I’d be raising holy hell with Airbnb over this guest.

This time they need to pay out every cent you ask for and give you some cash on top of that.

I agree except these things happened on the second night of a 2-night stay. I don’t even know if they stayed the first night as I never saw a car even in the early am hours. At any rate, they did pay what I asked for in terms of the missing items but I didn’t ask for anything over that. Surprisingly, the place really wasn’t in bad shape cleanliness-wise. I feel Air responded appropriately the second time around when I had actual issues. The first time I called I expressed concern from the previous review to which I was told may be an overstatement of events or not entirely accurate. So eventually I figured out how I could contact that host (not difficult) who was new to Airbnb. I hope she was compensated as well. I wish we knew a person’s last name prior to booking so I could do a little searching first.

1 Like

Just to put the record straight, there are plenty of us here who will say just the opposite.

I do hear often ‘Oh, I’d never accept a local guest - they are always trouble’ but the host saying that has never actually had a local guest, it’s all based on some sort of hearsay. That’s how these myths grow, I guess.

I’ve had plenty of local guests and I can’t remember one who has been less than lovely.

2 Likes

I like the positivity. I would surely host a local again, although it just so happens that the one time I did it was not the best experience. Maybe the next ones will set a better example :wink:

I’m sure that they will.

As you know, this is just a coincidence. One of my best ever guests (but bear in mind that I can’t remember them all!) was local. But yet if I’d only had that one experience, it would be wrong of me to write ‘all local guests are great’.

My worst ever guests I think were American and in their forties. That doesn’t mean that I’m going to say that Americans are horrible guests or that I don’t like to host people in their forties. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for insulting my English. I was born in Orange, New Jersey. Spanish is my second language. You might have noticed my name is not what we call Spanish. I am an American/English writer. You can find my publications on internet.

Please tell me the telephone I need to call for customer service.

Susan Lord

Susan,

First, I did not mean to cause offense. Many of us here have tried to help you with this, and point out what you can try.

Every time that we try to indicate that we are “not airbnb” - that “we are merely an independent forum of hosts” - there is no reaction from you.

I even sent you a private message to try to help you. With no response at all from you.

When I posted an image of where to click, you clearly tried to click on the image that I posted - which is not interactive - the image is just trying to illustrate what to do IN THE FORUM.

So … please forgive me but there were many signs that you were just not “getting it”.

And here we still are. You are asking us “please tell me the telephone I need to call for customer service”. Again - I am not trying at all to upset you - but you have been a host for years. And participated here for years.

The pinned post at the very top of this forum has this information. Scroll up to the top and click on the “house symbol” (home navigation). Look at the first post. It has all the phone #s for airbnb.

That aside, in airbnb.com there is the HELP button. That brings you to the Help Center. At the bottom of that is CONTACT US.

Again - we DO sympathize with you. But we CAN NOT actually help you. You need to call airbnb customer service. For the country that you are living in.

No one can do this for you. Again - we are not airbnb. We are just a bunch of hosts.

@lordhunt Susan, here is the number for Airbnb in Chile. +56229380777

Please direct your appeals to them. We can’t help you. You have been complaining for over two years that Airbnb hides your listing in search results, that you are lucky to get two bookings a year and now, for months, you say that Airbnb has blacklisted you.

We can’t restore your listing. There is no court of appeal. Airbnb doesn’t care about you or your feelings. That is the hard truth.

1 Like

Just FYI, everyone. I just had a similar cancellation from Airbnb “doing quality control, yada yada”, and when I looked at my calendar, the dates were blocked! I easily unblocked them, but something to check when AirBNB cancels a guest unexpectedly.

2 Likes

I just had this happen! A guest who booked for 4 nights and was due to arrive today. To be honest it sounded iffy as he is local and “needed a place for a few nights” but I don’t like to decline requests nowadays that bookings are so sparse. If there was a “quality assurance problem” I’m glad he’s not coming, but it’s a little creepy because he has all my info (except the door code).

Keep in mind that people can get “all your information” with just your first and last name and a little time on google if they want it and they don’t have to submit any info about themselves. I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if you have security cameras so if someone did use your information to come nosing around you could be alerted.

It’s true they have my info when they book. And over half of them cancel since the pandemic began.

Pamela Roig

What’s this? Trying to see if I can prove my point? LOL.

1 Like