Airbnb Data - Learning from Airbnb what data would be interesting?

Hey. So I have started using open-source Airbnb Data for analysis and writing about it.

I have scraped cleaning fees in Berlin and was surprised by the results (I will publish in a week or so)
I can’t include links so you would have to search ‘Berlinbnb airbnb ban’ for an example.

I was wondering - what other data/cities would be interesting to you? I enjoy making them!

James

Hi James,

I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be interested in any data at all from my city. The reasons are many but one is that there are so many STRs with different prices, different services, different locations, etc., so I don’t see how the information would be of use to me.

Also there’s the factor of different hosting styles, facilities and scenarios (for example, in-home hosting vs separate apartments).

I can understand why you enjoy it though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not interested in data at all, for the same reasons Jaquo mentioned.

And while there are thousands of Airbnb listings in my area, it’s actually a small town and I know where most of the other listing are. Data has no idea whether listings are in a quiet area, or right above a bar, so comparisons are useless.

1 Like

The only data I would be interested in is if you could identify all the unlicensed Airbnbs in my county that are not paying business fees and taxes – and that I am competing with – so I could send a list to my local zoning office! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

haha, if you see the article I wrote (berlinbnb . co airbnb ban) you’ll see I found that!

And I wrote an article on how hosts should concentrate on their own businesses and not be concerned with what others in the area are doing.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless there’s a wild party for an underage third-party booking and the kids are trying to break into the empty house across the street… :astonished:

1 Like

My ‘competition’ is not just another airbnb in the area, but another airbnb that offers comparable services and space, etc.

I hope to see MORE airbnb spaces in my locale because that means competition (which I look forward to as I honestly believe that 1:1 comparison will get me more bookings). That said, I do not care what stats others in my area, or not in my area, have, as there is no way to make comparisons.

1 Like