Airbnb CEO on 'most bizarre' customer complaint to date—it involves a ghost named Stanley

From Discover on Google https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/14/airbnb-ceo-brian-chesky-on-the-most-bizarre-customer-complaint.html

6 Likes

I love that the guests booked the place because of the ghost but then just didn’t really get along with the ghost. This is awesome :rofl:

4 Likes

Yep and they still tried to get a refund! Just like they do with ghost hosts😂

3 Likes

OMG where’s that listing? I want to go? Man, I think this guy’s listing popularity will soar… Wait, is there a way I can filter airbnbs for ghosts? Are there more homes with ghosts?

4 Likes

https://news.airbnb.com/eat-drink-and-be-scary-13-spooky-experiences-and-haunted-airbnbs/

1 Like

Can someone PLEASE smack him until he practices what he just preached of “Airbnb only works if people are willing to trust their homes to complete strangers — companies need to be flexible and open to a wide range of issues.”

ABB: BACK UP YOUR HOSTS!!
Or, maybe Stanley could travel to say Hi to Creepy Chesky. :wink::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

We should have had a Halloween themed thread here on the forum where hosts could post their worst “horror story.”

3 Likes

I don’t know how the guy lies like this and can still sleep at night. Zero conscience.

3 Likes

@KKC - the holiday season is still young, and if that isn’t scary I don’t know what is. The post can still be started. :scream:

2 Likes

@muddy - So very true. Pathological and pathetic. And laughing all the way to the bank. 🤦

He sleeps the same way all the other rich and powerful liars do.

Apparently it’s not difficult.

6 Likes

@KKC Did you watch his interview at the New York Times Dealbook conference? Keep your eye out at minute 13:30 where he says “we do have the best of intentions” and his mouth goes into all kinds of crazy contortions, as if it knows what BS it’s spewing.

2 Likes

Perhaps Stanley realised that these guests were less than great, hence the harassment.

We could all do with a Stanley now and then…

4 Likes

No.

Interesting. I might go look for it. OTOH, it doesn’t affect my bottom line.

I don’t know, it might. This goes back to Airbnb being a brand. Guests can see it too.

I don’t think most people associate the brand with Chesky. He’s not Trump, Gates or Bezos. How many people don’t know Marriott is run by LDS?

It’s like a debate we had here previously about market penetration. People said “everyone” had heard of Airbnb. I found a survey showing only 70% of people had heard of it and only 40% had stayed in one, or some numbers close.

I’d guess that 90% of Airbnb guests have no idea who Chesky is and they certainly aren’t reading what he says or watching him speak.

Yeah, of course I don’t know, but it’s an interesting discussion. I’d guess the percentage is much higher because he is a “new economy” celeb and the ven diagram of people interested in that and the people who use airbnb must have quite a bit of overlap. Much more so than people who stay at Marriott and have an opinion on LDS. Also, Chesky gets an inordinate amount of press compared to other CEOs in general. I do think more people associate him with Airbnb than most CEOs are associated with their brand. But it probably still doesn’t matter. I was just thinking out loud.

I’m surprised it is that high. The majority of people I talk to have either never heard of Airbnb or only have a vague idea of what it is.

Something to keep in mind with any survey is that people lie. All people, not just Chesky. So people like to say the voted for the winner, they know things they don’t actually know, etc. “Halo effect” is one term used to refer to this.

Do an informal, unscientific survey of your guests. When you meet them just ask, “Do you know who Brian Chesky is?” Not “have you heard of Brian Chesky?” they will say yes but then say “I’ve heard of him but don’t know who he is.”