Airbnb canceled reservation due to listing not ready at check in time

I don’t understand why you would consider it acceptable that your cleaning crew was late?? I would get a new cleaner as soon as possible. I would NEVER survive as a business owner if I operated like that…

But I’m surviving and thriving thanks to that cleaning crew. They are human. They make very few errors.

I’m still super host and getting bookings. If I tried to make everything perfect I’d go out of business.

This isn’t about emails, it’s about phone alerts that wake people up.

Rather than expecting Airbnb to do that and the expense it would cause (which would be passed on in host fees presumably) why not set your phone to silent notifications during quiet hours?

And it’s a good idea to never take your work phone with you when you go to bed. Leave it charging in the kitchen.

1 Like

How many people do you think have 2 cell phones?

Only if you don’t want the work :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, I am also in agreement with Airbnb. I am super angry when guests don’t check out in time therefore I get that they would be upset when the unit was not ready for them at check in time.
I would offer them a discount if they wanted to stay another date.

I remember a post where the host and his wife were busy cleaning and getting things ready for a guest when dad cut his hand really badly and mom had to drive him to the emergency ward for stitches. Luckily their teenage daughter was home and she jumped in to get the place ready. It apparently wasn’t quite ready when the guests arrived, and not as great a job as if the parents had done it, but the guests were understanding due to the circumstances.

That’s different from the cleaners actually not arriving or finishing on time.

When someone asks well before the check-in date about early check-in, I say “an early check-in will in all likelihood be no problem, but please check back with me closer to the time to confirm”.

If it’s coming up soon I say something like:

"The house is scheduled to be cleaned the day you arrive. In all likelihood it will be ready for your early arrival, but I cannot guarantee it.

Head up to the house when you arrive in Kaikoura. If all the beds are made up, you are good to go. If the cleaners are still there, please allow them to finish, but by all means talk to them - they will be able to give you some idea of when they will be finished, or let you put your belongings somewhere out of their way."

I tailor the bit about the same day cleaning to suit the situation - I wouldn’t say it for instance if it’s being cleaned the day before.

I find this kind of accommodating response, but not committing to anything satisfies most people.

5 Likes

Really Dont like "hosts"who outsource their cleaning.
You should have gone and prepared the unit yourself.
Iam sure you will come up with excuses why you cannot look after the guests for your own property!
Bad hosting and bad attitude to those paying you money.

1 Like

I clean my own place, but there’s nothing wrong with outsourcing cleaning- not everyone has the time, or the physical capability, and they may simply not be good at it. Or they may hate cleaning, lots of people do. And not everyone lives close to their rentals.

What you are saying would eliminate every off-site host, and every host who has a job to attend to other than hosting.

As long as the cleaner is thorough and reliable, there’s no issue.

2 Likes

I don’t need to make any excuses…

Some people just don’t like the competition!

Thanks for sharing your write up. It looks great except that in my case, early check in is not possible in all likelihood. My situation is different than yours.

Certainly no other Airbnb offers the personalised service I provide.
There Isn’t sn’t any competition I am worried about.
Soulless units and converted garages are hardly quality accommodation.

1 Like

You sound extremely judgemental. Plenty of hosts offer excellent personalized service.
And there are some beautiful converted garages. It’s possible to create a myriad of living spaces within any 4 walls.

5 Likes

POST OF THE MONTH nomination:

I nominate for the ‘most unaware/arrogant post in a forum of dedicated and selfless airbnb hosts’…

13 Likes

Is there a badge for that?

5 Likes

I was going to explain it to you, but decided it wasn’t worth trying.

4 Likes

And thats it.
Theres No hosting involved.
Throw in a plasma tv and a coffee maker does not make a super host.
What do you do to provide a superior service.
Very little I doubt.

1 Like

Certainly badges for mediocre and lazy hosts.
Sure you bunch woukd fit that bill.

1 Like