Airbnb canceled reservation due to listing not ready at check in time

That’s exactly why I do my own cleaning. Relying on a cleaning service for me creates more anxiety trying to coordinate a schedule.

4 Likes

The walkthrough is incredibly important, isn’t it? It’s the last step of the selling procedure as well as making sure that the rental is in the very best condition.

4 Likes

Why would it just be a matter of time that you will be late again for a guest check in???

I’ve never been late for a guest check in, in six years with hundreds of guests across a range of listing ?

2 Likes

This kind of host “mistake” happens all too often and Airbnb has to clean up the mess.

I got this message shortly after check in at recent stay.

Then I went to another Airbnb and didn’t get the message. Check in should be easy and as a guest I wish Airbnbs were more consistent in the procedures.

I screwed up once, thinking my guests were checking in the next day. They showed up, the cabin was unlocked (because in my mind no guests that day) and called me and asked why the sheets were piled on the dining room table… And to top it off I was an hour away. I was able to get my cleaner over to finish up, make the bed and clean the bathroom and kitchen and it all ended well. But it could have gone either way. S**T happens, hosts are humans and we are prone to mistakes.

RR

4 Likes

I’ve made mistakes and when they negatively impact other people there have been consequences, as there should be.

Host mistakes effect all other hosts to some degree as it makes people less inclined to stay in Airbnbs. So when a host makes a mistake and there’s a price to pay it’s just cost of doing business.

BTW, one reason I turn over the room immediately after a guest checks out is to reduce the chance of exactly this happening. I also program the lock as soon as I get a reservation. Also hosts can block days between. This is why Airbnb now sends hosts multiple messages reminding them they have a reservation upcoming.

7 Likes

I have done this from the start of my hosting. While I know many hosts want to maximize their occupancy and earnings, and if they can responsibly turn a place over for same day bookings, there’s no reason not to, there are many attractive reasons to have that one day prep time block. No big rush to get the place cleaned, no stress if the guests left it in a state that requires more than usual cleaning time, or dealing with some damage, no having to get into some “No, sorry”, discussion about accommodating an early check-in or late check-out, no stress if something happens in your life that means you can’t get the place turned over in 3 hours.

There are enough things in life that one has no control over that are stressors, I prefer not to create more stress for myself if I have a choice.

3 Likes

Yes I get it, I’m just saying even the best of hosts can screw up. I was lucky it worked out and I ended up with a five star review.

The guest totally understand. She was like I read your reviews I know this sort of thing doesn’t happen with you. They went out to dinner came back to a clean place and I dropped off a bottle of wine the next day.

Had I had the same experience that the OP did I would have earned it. I got lucky

RR

4 Likes

Yes @RiverRock
You are correct we can all goof up. I try really hard to do the right thing but I’ve made my share (and probably enough for a couple more people) of mistakes.

Even with the mistakes I’ve made over the years with my rental, I’ve gotten good reviews & had/have a good relationship with almost all guests.

I get so tiiiiired of people who cheerfully feel the need to dwell on the negative and lecture.

I had to step back and recognize those who consistently are pointing out the mistakes of others are trying to compensate for something and probably don’t realize how toxic/hurtful their actions are.

Unfortunately I’ve learned the hard way to not respond to those people especially after my consumption of Chardonnay or tequila shots :crazy_face:is involved. It never turns out well for me.

5 Likes

Oooh… I think you are on to something.

RR

5 Likes

This has happened only once before so I didn’t think through this. I will do this the next time.

I’m sorry this happened to you. So many times with ABB I have said, “I didn’t think this through.”

Unexpected stuff happens often, and guests are the most unpredictable of creatures.

It sure keeps things interesting tho! :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

“If you had contacted her in advance to let her know and offered to pay for meals or drinks, while she waited you may have had a different outcome.”

Exactly this. You should have mitigated your damages, OP and made an attempt at making guest whole and happy from the get go. If you had offered a gift card for a restaurant or comped the night, you probably wouldn’t be dealing with the fallout now.

2 Likes

IB isn’t a bad word. It boosts you in search placement and streamlines the booking process for both guest and host.

There are only positives to IB. Or they at least outweigh any risks.

And you can cancel penalty free 3 times a year if there are concerns. Though I have only used that once in 7 years.

3 Likes

Perhaps for you. Not for everyone.

1 Like

A good idea also would be to call guest in advance and offer to refund cleaning fee.

I do not allow a same day check-in just because I can’t be sure that housekeeping has cleaned on time/in time and I may not get there to walk thru the property prior to check-in.

I realize this doesn’t maximize the ‘ohh mighty’ dollar but it does maximize my sanity, my Super Host status, and the guest experience.

Everyone hosts to a standard they feel comfortable with. This time it just didn’t work well for you. Take the hit and move on.

3 Likes

I just returned from a trip to Austin. My friends rented an Airbnb and when they arrived to the rental at the 3 pm check in time, they still hadn’t gotten the code to get in. At 3:50 pm they texted they had just gotten in. A group of 8 of us were meeting for dinner at 5 before a concert and they barely had time to get unloaded and get ready for the evening.

This is why Airbnb sends us multiple messages reminding us we have guests arriving. This is why guests are getting messages from Airbnb at check in time asking if everything is okay. I’ve been encouraging my friends to try Airbnb and I would have probably warned them away from this one because it was new with no reviews. They said it was very nice inside and ultimately they were able to meet us on time. I don’t know if I’ll be able to convince them to leave a review that mentions the issue with the code.

1 Like

Well, that’s the concept. Except it seems the multiple messages are for naught- they didn’t jog your friends’ host, nor apparently other guests’ who report unresponsive hosts. And those of us who have our s**t together don’t need them.

Yeah, the reminders are annoying, especially when they come in at 1:15 in the morning, trigger our very unique notification sound, and we rush to see what crazy situation our guest is in just to see a message reminding us that “Jenny is visiting in 8 days.”

Those reminders should only be sent out in the midday hours for the host’s time zone.

That is why I have a filter for those emails and they go straight to trash.

Whatever I info I need I can get it from the app the next morning.