AirBNB bans certain renters less than 25 years old

One thing to keep in mind about “locals” staying…is home construction or a maintenance project that has caused them to have to leave for a few days. We also have had local people, that are scheduled to take the bar exam and need a quiet place, away from family, to study. We have had many bookings for this reason. EVERYONE has been super great, and we were able
to gain extended family bookings through these “local” bookings:) In addition, many are during the week so it gets mid week booked and leaves weekends for out of town guests.

1 Like

I hear ya about locals, but I’ve had 3 sep. parties that were doing remodels close by and need a place for their family to stay. You can weed out the partiers vs. the legit families needing another home til theirs is complete. :slight_smile:

So you need to be more clever than they are.

Airbnb also isn’t telling these guests in advance that they can’t book, I’ve gotten quite a few messages from <25 year olds who don’t realize why they can’t book.

That’s because under 25’s can book. The policy doesn’t say ANY under 25 year old can’t book.@cooperjto Just those flagged by their criteria under their policy that raises red flags for potential party guests.

Anyway don’t worry - as you have said you aren’t using Airbnb going forward.

Sadly I think I’ll have to stick with Airbnb to at least some extent… they’re the name brand here.

1 Like

That’s the catch-22 isn’t it? Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens over the next years. If homeshare dies off, what will Airbnb do? Die too or take market share from others?

I don’t think vacation apartment rentals will ever die off, the demand is too strong especially for family size accommodations. However, I think Airbnb really blew it with their growth at all costs attitude; instead of managing their growth carefully while maintaining their reputation, they tried to grow faster and faster so they could IPO in the best light possible. Now they the brand’s reputation is seriously eroded, and a lot of people associate Airbnb with party houses and cut-rate apartments where you can cause damage and get away with it. It’s a shame, in my experience things were really great up until the last couple of years.

Maybe another company (Homeaway?) will step in and fill the void, or maybe decentralized direct bookings will become more prominent.

1 Like

How do you weed out parties? I live in Vegas and have people from California all the time. Recently, many “out of town” guests are booking for 1-2 people and then having 15-20 over for a pool party. Airbnb is no longer supporting fines for rule breaking or extra guests.

“No longer”? Airbnb has never fined guests for rule breaking or extra guests. House rules and extra guests are up to the host to monitor. Either turn them away at the door and make them change the booking and pay for extra guests before being admitted to the property, or boot them out if they booked for 2 and throw a party.
Communicate with guests when they book or request to book. Make it clear anyone not listed on the reservation won’t be admitted or will be kicked out.

1 Like

I don’t allow people to ‘instant book,’ I always make them converse w/me first. I ask why they’re coming in town, and a bit of background info. I declined 4 diff. requests last month because I didn’t get a good feel for people, like 1 person saying it was only him, yet wanted a whole house for 3 months and wanting my address in advance. RED FLAG! So I just pick and choose and have not had a bad guest except for 1 person who snuck their dog in and sent pics of it afterwards!! I made him so uncomfortable they left early and then tried to get $$ back from me. Didn’t happen.

4 Likes

As @muddy says, the only way to prevent or deal with parties is by sorting it ourselves. Airbnb have nothing to do with it; in most areas the police won’t get involved in STR stuff.

If you as the host aren’t on the premises, or living next door, then the best way is to get a co-host who will be right on the spot to deal with any parties or overspill people. They should do the meet and greet too to head off any potential trouble.

If you can’t get someone keeping their eye on the place then they (or you) should be at most just ten minutes away.

Rope in a neighbour - “as you know, the house is rented to people short term but something I particularly care about is your peace and quiet so I’d love it if you could let me know if ever there’s any noise, a party or if you see several cars turn up. I don’t want you to be inconvenienced in any way at all so here’s my number. Thank you so much for helping me out”.

Then next time you’re there be sure to turn up with a bottle of wine of a bouquet of flowers for that neighbour.

2 Likes