AirBnB and pet damage

Tempted to add a house rule, “No lawyers allowed”. I might even put it in KenH upper case.

8 Likes

What was the damage done by the pet? Could it be passed off as ‘human damage’ or was it obviously pet stuff? I’m thinking about what @Jess1 said about what would happen if a human peed the bed.

I think (not 100% sure) that our STR insurance would cover pet damage - things like pee-damage etc.

We are ‘not suitable for pets’ these days thanks to a HOA ruling but when we did welcome pets, we made sure that everything was pretty claw-proof and we have tiled floors and leather furniture. Hopefully the mattress cover would be pee-proof for a small dog. So the only damage I can imagine is torn upholstery or a peed mattress.

The real pisser with dogs is they will hike their leg and mark something. A side of a chair or a table leg. Once that happens the smell is there for other dogs forever.

I’m so glad I have a cat :slight_smile:

When a cat marks it’s equally bad. And those claws on leather are no fun.

1 Like

I’m lucky with my boy. He’s a rescue cat and quite an elderly gentleman. Although I understand that it’s a cruel practice, he was already declawed when we adopted him. He’s more into sleeping than scratching things :slight_smile:

Because the HOA directive says ‘no dogs’ we DO allow cats in the rental - maybe I should rethink that…

1 Like

I think it’s worse!!! Much more difficult to get the smell of cat pee out. I love both and work at an animal shelter, so not trying to diss cats. I have both. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Exactly this. I’m not saying that anyone should lie on a claim, but unless you SAW a dog peeing on your carpet, how do you know, really? You could easily file a claim that “my carpet was saturated with some horribly smelly liquid” and file for damages that way. Leave the word “pet” out of the claim altogether unless you have definitive proof that it was caused by one.

4 Likes

I foresee Nature’s Miracle stock prices soaring!

LOL. I’ve been told that they enzymes in Pool Perfect (for swimming pools) is the same stuff that’s in Nature’s Miracle and other enzyme pet products. It’s a fraction of the cost. I’ve used it and I think it works. It also has no added fragrance unlike many other products. It should get a good test this upcoming year. I now have a section of artificial turf for the pups to potty on and it needs to be hosed down with a treatment periodically.

2 Likes

Am now going to Amazon to get some Pool Perfect!

It’s too late for me to make another claim about the same issue and leave out the “pet” but will keep that in mind in the future!! I’m also getting a video camera I think- maybe that will keep people from “sneaking” around the rules…

Thanks to everyone for your replies and good advice! and the laughs! I needed both!

1 Like