AirBNB and Cleaners Hourly Wages

Has anyone else heard of this? I met with my house cleaners today, who also host AirBNBs, and they mentioned this push by AirBNB to give hosts a badge if they pay their cleaners more than $15. per hour. A quick google search only found one article about this, and nothing on the AirBNB website at all.

I can’t tell if this is a national push in the USA or just a San Francisco thing. Nor have I found any information on how this would be documented in order to receive the badge. I would be interested in any additional information others might have gleaned from other sources.

@anon67190644 let me be the first to tell you cleaners in SF cost WAY more than $15/hr!

3 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking! Here in Seattle, I do the cleaning when my schedule allows it, but I feel really, really lucky that I found someone that will clean for $60, which is about 2 hours of work, maybe 3 occasionally. Most cleaners have a 3 or 4 hour minimum and it’s pretty difficult to get someone for under $90 or $100.

$25 is the going rate in Hawaii. Which is why i have only paid someone twice to clean my place in all the years i have been doing this.

1 Like

When I look for cleaners I specifically look for ones with turn down experience. Also, you might be surprised, since Airbnb is so common these days, many cleaning companies are well aware and more than comfortable with the schedule. I like to send my cleaners the schedule about 1-2 weeks in advance via email, and if I have empty days in between I give them warning that I might sneak in an extra one. Since they’re able to count at least 8-10 cleanings a month at a guaranteed rate, I think this is pretty worth it for them. We found ours through Thumbtack and did a thorough interview beforehand. I also check-in on the house about once a month to ensure they are doing a consistent job.

This is awesome!

Like many hosts here I laugh because I’d love to find a cleaner who ONLY charges $15/hr. To keep competitive I charge $75 for my cleaning fee, but I actually pay $90 for one housekeeper to work 2 1/2 hours. I’m thinking I need to renegotiate, given that our place has been busy… but I’m willing to pay extra for reliability.

If Air wants to set me up with some of these $15/hr housekeepers, though, I’d jump at it.

2 Likes

Am I missing something or do cleaners actually make over $ 4.500,00 dollar a month in the USA? Because that is what I am understanding from some of these posts… :confused:

Florida, right? I’m currently involved in renovating an apartment and if tradesmen simply show up, I’m mildly astonished. I’ve been brainwashed over the years to think it’s normal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly right @PHX. Please find us the cleaner only charges $15 per hour. I think cleaners and handymen work together. They all charge so much hourly, and very unreliable.

@Guthend, I think it’s more that Air cleaners/housekeepers charge more per hour, but definitely don’t get booked full time at 40 hours. Or, they are with an agency that takes a cut of their wage, and so what actually goes to them is significantly less. It’s probably not all too different from Amazon delivery workers or Uber drivers.

I have no doubt hotel housekeepers who work 40 hours a week get charged near minimum because they get a steady (albeit not great) paycheck.

3 Likes

I am wondering if it might be more effective to hire directly instead of going through a cleaning company. If a cleaning company’s prices are too high, my guess is that it’s because they are paying the cleaner’s wages, the owner’s profits, and the overhead such as the cleaning company’s marketing efforts. I have not tried to hire a cleaner yet, but I am a business owner, and I have hired for other positions at my company. When I post an ad for a position that pays $15 an hour for part-time work that does not require an extensive list of experience, I am inundated with applicants.

Yeah similar to what @Robert_Dudley said, So yay, I get a badge saying I pay $15+/hour to a cleaner. But with my nightly rate I can barely cover utilities, etc. It’s all bogus, feel good crap. And do guests really care about a badge like that anyway? Because if they do, I think they can afford to stay at a nice hotel and aren’t going to be home-sharing…

1 Like

It’s very hard to find good and reliable cleaning people. I had tried numbers of cleaning people. Most of them can clean up to my standards. Recently I found a lady she is better than any other cleaning people or companies I’ve used. But in order to write off my tax, I will have to give her 1099 end of the year according my CPA. She’s not happy with that and I’m already paying her the top of my range. I’m thinking if she’s really the best I will just have to pay more on top of the cleaning fee that I’m charging the guest. Very hard to find good ones.