After four months, tax rate is still wrong

And the same if the service fee is adjusted. Everything should match up.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking but don’t think that it is actually happening that way.

I am only talking about the lodging taxes associated with the service fee when I mention “service fee.”

If they keep $100 service fee then they need to report the lodging taxes on that. If they adjust their service fee to $50 then they should be refunding the associated lodging taxes on that service fee also.

1 Like

I think the SHOULD is the operative word here.

1 Like

It’s been so many years now but I went through this issue with an ABB rep. once. He told me to just do a refund through the resolution center. And I told him that even though I refund the monies, that does not adjust the taxes associated with the service fee they collected. I think maybe the issue was that after so much time had passed I didn’t have access to actually “adjust” the reservation.

He understood my issue and I think maybe they went into the system to adjust everything.

ABB should be remitting taxes on all the service fees they collect. If they “adjust” those service fees, they should also be adjusting the taxes and refunding the appropriate portion to the traveler.

1 Like

I think the same applies for the nightly accommodations fees and cleaning fees if applicable).

Oh yes. All of them! When I refund a guest even when booking directly, I refund the exact amount of lodging taxes associated with monies.

The rule I go by: If I collect money…I remit taxes associated with that amount. Anything else is returned.

1 Like

Now other states handle this differently with cancellations etc. Again, not an expert in NC tax law…but this is to my current understanding. Anyone else is welcome to chime in here.

1 Like

NINE months later and we’re still here. The only change I see is ABB is charging guests more. Same scenario on 3/18/20. Four nights for 552, plus cleaning 50, and ABB fee 85 (up from 78) for total taxable of 687 tax should be @ 7.125% $48.95 and they’re charging $56. They’ve admitted they’re wrong but still can’t manage to change our tax rate.

2 Likes

Wow, I wonder if they decided to just do a blanket tax rate for the entire state and dont have the capacity to adjust it on a county level. Sounds incredibly stupid and frustrating that. a higher tax rate can make your listing less desirable and yet they dont fix it

For me, I have Airbnb listings in two different neighboring counties in NC, USA, each one gets the NC tax as well as separately listed county taxes. The amounts don’t always add up either and when I inquired I was told someone who works with the taxes would get back to me…that was many many many months ago now…