Advice please from Apartment Hosts

Hi everyone!
I’ve been an Airbnb host for a year now and absolutely loving it. Had 24 lots of fabulous clients with only one unpleasant experience. Anyway, I’ve just built and am about to rent out for the first time a stunning studio apartment with ensuite bath. It’ll be for maximum 2 guests. It has a kitchenette of decent size which will have a single mobile induction cooktop with special saucepan, an outdoor electric BBQ and a small microwave.
I’m wondering what I put in of kitchen crockery, utensils, etc. - more as in how many? I’ve bought crockery and cutlery set of 4 - do I just put out 2 or all 4?? Same with glasses.
I would really appreciate any tips how you handle a small studio apartment differently to a room, which is what I’ve been used to - and have down pat!
Many thanks in advance.

1 Like

How big is the fridge to store food and how will they clean dishes? - A sink or dishwasher?

Decent sized sink as well as good sized 100lt bar fridge. More curious as to how much crockery, cutlery, etc. you would put in for max. two people?

I’d go with four of everything.

3 Likes

We bought a set of 10 and put out 4 for our apartment which fits maximum 2 guests. We have plenty if some go missing! Same with plates and dishes

1 Like

yep, put all 4. If I opened a cabinet and just saw two of everything it would give me a funny feeling - like glasses and plates were on ration. ; )

1 Like

I have almost the same description as your listing, I bought 4 of every thing. and purchased a pot set from Macy’s that was induction safe. (be very careful that all cookery is induction safe or might be a risk for fire.) To be honest hardly anyone cooks in my studio.

Four of everything. I bought two sets of four from IKEA for a six person place. Not because its especially nice, but it’s cheap and easy to replace. You could buy two sets and put one aside for when you need replacements.

1 Like

That’s great help everyone, thank you so much. Would you put any basics in cupboard like salt, pepper, cling wrap? What about storage containers etc? And do you check everything after each guest?? Bits are sure to go missing, especially teaspoons - which go wherever missing socks from the washing machine go :slight_smile:

I have the same set up as you, except with a full fridge and gas range included… so I have pots, pans, utensils, even a pancake griddle, coffeemaker and blender (this was a suggestion from a guest who wanted the chance to make smoothies from all of the fresh fruit available in Hawaii as well as the tropical libations…and is a great idea!) microwave. I also have a BBQ outside (on their own private patio) so I give them a BBQ platter, safety lighter, and BBQ tools.

I also have all the place settings in fours, just because they come that way. I like stoneware because it looks good but guests keep chipping it. Next time I resupply, I’ll just get Corelle. I bought very inexpensive cutlery. I bought a set of four beaker glasses, two juice and two wine. I have a martini mixing set that I keep in the freezer. I have a toaster. I don’t provide paper towels or foil or things like that. I provide garbage bags but not the whole roll, as guests tend to waste anything provided in abundance. I provide dish soap and sink scrubbers, tea towels and dish rags. I offer the cloth shopping bags because plastics are banned now. I took away all the candles after a burn incident and now offer a lantern style flashlight so they can’t swipe it. (Sick of guests swiping little flashlights!)

I offer a couple of storage containers like tupperware, so they can store leftovers and also because they can’t put solids down the sink.

I keep a detailed inventory of everything in the guest book so that guests know I know exactly what I have.

I do check it quickly against inventory after they leave. Most guests will fess up to breaking something. One sweet girl broke a really good glass from a set my mom had bought me when I opened up shop. She felt terrible and left me $25 and a great review.

I do provide salt, pepper and cooking oil and state in my guest information folder that cooking provisions are the responsibility of the guest.

I’m not putting fancy stuff in the studio anymore because guests can, will and DO break things! With everything that I provide and how detail-oriented I am, and all for no more than $99 a night in a house minutes away from premier Kona Hawaii snorkeling, a few heartless guests still smack me because it isn’t the 4 Seasons for the 1 Seasons price. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a small kitchen area in the space guests use - 2 bedrooms in our basement -

people rarely cook. I’m actually surprised as I do when I travel - or at least warm-up.

I would at least do salt, pepper, oil, maybe some butter? Things people don’t think to buy, or they will never use all of like the dish soap. It’s just a nice thing to do.

Whatever you put in, expect to lose, as you said. Think about what you’re charging and how close you are so you can maintain it.

The pots and pans problem is that cheap ones are to cheap and nice ones cost to much…I keep looking but haven’t found something priced like I want. And what I find in thrift stores are horrible. I only have one burner so I just need one decent size pot.

Ok OK I have to admit that the last guests, from Colombia, who came up and borrowed a large pot used it to make us a special Christmas custard called Navrilla - or something like that.

You didn’t ask for this advice - but as a mom traveling with a family - would you think about adding an airbed so you can book larger groups, increasing your chances of bookings? Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

Nothing of mine has gone missing, although I’m getting low on small plates, so some must have broken. I provide a lot of food stuff–cereal, milk, frozen bread, olive oil, balsamic, tea, sugar, flour, salt. The great thing? People leave snacky things behind so I don’t even have to buy them anymore. It’s nice. I just put out two really great packages of trail mix that the previous guest left–and they were upmarket packages. There are also more ingredients than when I started. I just check to make sure everything is fresh and throw out anything that looks dodgy.

I found decent in Ross. I got two ceramic pans for $14.99 and they are totally fine. I’m not a five star place and so they should not expect to get five star cookware. :slight_smile: The rest are leftovers from my own kitchen…

Thanks everybody!
This is really super helpful, I’m sure I’ll find my way with your great suggestions. I have two bookings 3 nights each in the new studio over Xmas/New Year so I might just ask each one before they come if they intend to eat in. Those that stay in my home I provide free breakfast every day and was going to do it for the first morning of the studio but with both rooms booked, it’s too complicated so the studio guests will get a welcome glass of bubbles or wine with me on the deck instead. I like having some sort of time to connect with my guests as most of them have been fabulous and interesting plus several have become friends!
Again, many thanks for taking the trouble to respond and greetings from DownUnder!

2 Likes

You do better than I do. Most of my guest connect time is upon arrival. After that they are left to their own devices, although I tell them I’m up for a glass of wine if they find time. Most don’t as they are out so much sightseeing.

I keep looking, but I need the kind that work with induction, and the prices are all $25-30 here in the dc area

DC, I got a how pot set about 8 pieces that stainless steal induction safe from Macy’s for 40 bucks, I think they are called Chef’s essentials. You can keep some of them yourself and give the guest two or three. More bang for your buck then just one pot.

1 Like

good call! Thanks!
this post must be…

Do you mean your inventory is listed inside your guestbook where clients write their testimonials? Smart and subtle way of doing it.

Yes. I have a great big binder full of guest information. The inventory is there. I also have a photograph of the snorkeling gear package at $49.99 so that they can see how much it really costs to replace if they lose a piece. Very common for guests to do this, and most fess up.

As things break or chip, like dishes and glasses, I note it on the inventory. I mainly include it there so they can see I am keeping track. I saw this idea in another vacation rental binder and thought it was useful. Because they are renting a lockable, separate room from me, stocked with a lot of stuff, I need to really keep track of what they have broken or lost.