Advice on Bedding

Be sure to dilute the water before adding bluing! Run a tub of water, add the recommended amount of bluing and mix it up well before adding your clothes!

2 Likes

We like all white. We use 400 count royal velvet by penneys. Never pay more than 50% . It is on sale every other week. We like callie by madison park coverlet set on Wayfair. About $50 for queen.

Good info! I just got a Pennyā€™s flyer with coupons - Iā€™ll check it out!

I am really curious why you have to throw out bedding? And how are they stained? Can you bleach them? And what parts of the sheets have been ruined. Just curious. My linens are not necessarily 500 sheet count, but they are hotel quality and they look great.

Bleaching will cause permanent Yellowing on white colors. My beddings are all white. Lost tons of premium duvet covers, bed sheets, white towels.

am really curious why you have to throw out bedding? And how are they stained? Can you bleach them? And what parts of the sheets have been ruined. Just curious. My linens are not necessarily 500 sheet count, but they are hotel quality and they look great.

Other ways to whiten sheets or take out stains:

ZOUT (great to remove most stains), SOIL LOVE (at the dollar store!), hydrogen peroxide (for blood stains --use right away), white vinegar (rinse super well --then put item in direct sunlight for as long as it takes to whiten again), lemon juice, RIT color remover (to get out yellow bleach stains). To get out RUST STAINS use OXALIC ACID -from hardware store (also contained in "barkeepers friend, but that has pumice in it) WARNING: do not use in washing machine --will pock ceramic/metal)ā€“use in plastic tub --RINSE THREE TIMES!

1 Like

I prefer duvet covers instead of comforters. With duvets, especially down-filled, are actually real investment pieces. The extra layer surrounding the duvet will take on any dirt and dust, and prevent the shell of the duvet from wearing; plus, cleaning a duvet is as easy as 123. :blush: I recommend you read this useful article- http://www.freearticlesonly.com/misc/advantages-of-buying-quality-duvet-covers.html https://inbedstore.com/collections/duvet-covers offers duvet covers and more. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey everyone!

I just want to share that I believe bedding is such an important part of the guest experience, specially in comparison with hotels. On this note (and because lately I feel there is no guarantee that Egyptian cotton is real) Peruvian Pima cotton is one of the best in the world. You can find bed sheets on Amazon from a brand called Peru Pima for sheets that are 400, 415 and 600 thread count in nice colors. They are pretty accessible for the high quality ($86-120 depending on size and thread count).

Check out the products and amazing reviews on Amazon:

Good luck hosts!

I use all white, with slightly diff ones so I donā€™t get confused on size. I have white seersucker duvet cover, awesome, very little ironing, a white on white stripe and solid white. I donā€™t use a top sheet and wash the duvet cover and the rest of it, between guests. 100% cotton 300tc. You can bleach the hell out of it and it always looks beautiful. :slight_smile: None of the sets cost more than Ā£30.

1 Like

Why are you more confident that something labeled Peruvian is more likely to be from Peru, than something labeled Egyptian will be from Egypt?

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, no way of knowing. I just had in mind the recent stuff on Egyptian cotton:

Nicole, we need a bedding sponsor. Are you up for it? :smile:

2 Likes

Wow Anon, I thought I knew something about bedding - until I read this. What a great post!

Toro Host,
To my mind there is no better sheet than the standard percaleā€¦200 thread count. The more they are washed, the better they feel. I have some on my own bed that are more than a decade old and are as smooth as silk. I have tried the high thread count cotton but they end up just feeling limp to me.

I do love old linen but I dont think those are even avaiable anymore.

I use a mixture of grey sheetsā€¦paisley, polka dot, plain. For the summer I spread a single white and gray sheet across the top. it fills the area below the pillows to the top of a folded cotton blanketā€¦I did it to protect. From peoples bottoms, but it would guard against a dirty suitcase too.

Also I have a hotel luggage rack in the roomā€¦cheap from restaurantsupply.com.

Egyptian cotton is a variety of the cotton plant. It doesnt have to be grown in Egypt. Think red delicious appleā€¦the same apple no matter where it grows.

I had no idea! Thanks for the info.

@rogchap - do you use triple sheeting? Iā€™ve slept in a hotel that used that technique and loved it. Do you iron the sheets? It seems like youā€™d almost have to. I iron most of the sheet, hitting the spots that ā€˜showā€™

Iā€™m about to re-do a bedroom and have been looking for a duvet, but i love the idea of triple sheeting and would like to know what feedback you get from guests.

Anyone else use this technique?

@dcmooney I am in the minority, but I really dislike triple sheeting. Too much warmth. Too much weight. Too hard to make comfortable. But, as I say, I believe that many people like this.

3 Likes

good to know. I guess it would be complicated if you wanted just one layer - were to hot or to cold.

@dcmooney Not just complicated. You have to get out of bed, dislodge the third sheet from the tight tuck in, pull down, then go to work on the blanket layer, and if it is really too warm, now you have to remove these layers (or you now have a gazillion layers on your feet), fold them and find a place to put them , and it is 2am and you have been sleeping.

Did I mention I am in the minority?

4 Likes