Advice on Bedding

of course they could absolutely be counterfeit but they feel and breath like the real thing. they’re soft as butter and yet crisp. i love them! i’m gonna look for that same vendor when i head to DC next week and see if i can get more. he also had bamboo fabric pillows at a great price. i picked up a couple of those for the allergic guests. you are a FONT of fabric weave information!

1 Like

They sound delish Stephanie. Of course you can always tell quality by the performance of the fabrics, especially after they have been through some washes. If they feel beautiful to you, they are! Bad quality sheets will pill, and simply not look or feel sumptuous. Lyocell is a very nicely performing fabric if he has it, similar to bamboo. Smooth as silk, breathable and very easy care. People really love it for its softness. I sometimes use it for pillowcases or duvet covers.

Yes, bedding is my passion. When I developed a problem with pain a number of years ago, a good sleep and comfortable bed became incredibly important, and I found there was so much to know! It started with a great bed (we use latex which I love), and ended with a passion for textiles, especially antique linen.

Another awesome duvet that we have for between summer and winter is a silk filled duvet. It is made from mulberry silk fibers, and so comfy. It drapes on the body really well, breathes, is warm, but never hot. They make them by stretching out individual silk cocoons into the required size duvet, over and over until the desired thickness. It can take many cocoons, and lots of work to gently stretch the beautiful white silk cocoons out. Nonetheless, you can find them for a moderate price of you know where to shop. We also have a mattress pad made this way, which is beautifully soft and breathable. Silk has amazing qualities for temperature and moisture management. I could write a novel about bedding! Wool mattress pads are also wonderful :smile:

2 Likes

Get bedding from me if you want! AIRBNBHOST on swenyo.com 20% off our whole website just for hosts. please dont share with people who are not hosts!

You can find better deals on Amazon Pizon or Amazon basics ($17.99). I’d make sure to get a mattress protector and use a duvet cover for your comforter.

You sound like a five star resort Sandy… In fact I have stayed in a few myself that don’t compare to this! Wow.
You are too good to the guests. I’d be worried about how some of the lumpheads would treat those gorgeous things.

1 Like

I am in Kona where choices are limited and shipping to the Islands can get exorbitant. I get tropical themed Tommy Bahama style bedding sets at Macy’s. Look great and hide the stains too. (Mostly)… Have to be replaced about once every 6 months to once a year. I have backup sets. I give the ones that are still good but a little worn to my kids, and they look great in the dorms. :slight_smile:

Macy’s has INCREDIBLE sales. With the coupons and sale prices you can sometimes get 70% off of something. You can pay off your Macy’s card at the counter so there’s never a danger of paying their loan sharking credit card fees.

We brought brand new pillows and were quite happy with ourselves, then a guest said they were too high and hurt her neck, so we’re going to have to look for cheaper less fuller ones to avoid any other similar complaints!
You live and you learn!

2 Likes

So excited to find this site! I’ve become bedding obsessed and yes - white sheets and towels are the best. Love the idea of the 3 sheets!! I love that in hotels. I HATE duvet covers and now use quilted cotton spreads on top of a down comforter and other blankets. I found exactly waht i was looking for at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $80. My place is a glamping experience - a screened style house
[https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1202709][1] so i need lots of warm bedding for chilly nights. We love to have people come with dogs - so i have other bedding not as nice that I use for them especially they want their dogs to sleep with them - so i always ask about this . Since it gets really cold i also put out a hot water bottle they can fill up from a tea kettle and take to bed with them.
I’ve gotten new pillows but also washed and used older pillows inside zippered white pillow cases. I never want anyone to find a stain on anything! I also use overstock.com for my sheets. be great for people to share sales when they find them!

1 Like

I am a firm believer on the importance of a good night’s sleep, which is to says there is little I will not do to achieve that. (Imagine this: my husband frequently travels for business and stays at Four Seasons and Ritz properties. When he comes home, I get the download on the hotel stay: food, bed/linens, service, room, toiletries, etc. More often than not he’ll say the sleep experience was good, but never better than our bed.)

I agree with 1chicretreat: White, white, white for sheets, shams and duvet covers. I am gaga over fine linens myself, which started in my early 20s when I dated the owner of Helmy’s House of Fine Linens in Beverly Hills. He totally spoiled me and ever since I buy nothing but French or Italian (Sferra, Yves delorme, Frette, Anichini, etc.) Egyptian cotton linens. This goes for the vacation rental, too, where I strive for a five-star experience. Absolutely, I pay more up front, but they really do last for years and years, get softer with each use, and my housekeeper has been educated to not “cook” them in the dryer. And yes, she always puts the sheets on the bed when they’re damp dry.

I realize this is not feasible for the majority of Air hosts. For many, it simply doesn’t pencil out financial to spend so much on linens. But I highly recommend taking some of your hosting cash flow and buying a set for your own bed. Meredith has great resources on her blog. If you have a Tuesday Morning near you, they often carry Sferra and other Italian linens at deep discount. I picked up a king set of Tessitura Toscana whisper thin 100% EC sheets for $120 just a couple months ago.

Colorful euros and cotton quilts dress up the bed (and protect the duvet covers from that occasional piece of luggage). Everything down. (I wash my down pillows and comforters all the time.)

Protectors on all the mattresses, pillows and duvets. Double sets of everything, which is a necessity during peak season when we have back-to-back guests all summer long.

Learned my lesson the hard way on colored vs white towels in my VR. Three colored RL hand towels ruined in two months by acne creams and/or silicone based lubricants. Ugh. TMI?

3 Likes

Love your place, looks like fun… In winter is it closed? Your pics look good… make me want to improve mine!

Everybody is really on the right track here! Your beds and bedding is of huge importance! My beds are Queens size with new firm mattresses. Sheets, I like the old white and kind of firm sheets, not the silky kind. The kind when washed are crisp and white! Sort of like my bunk in Boot Camp! I have plush blankets, so soft, and washed very often. The crowning glory are quilts made by a woman friend who does quilts as her hobby and side business. She has made three unique quilts of amazing quality and looks, each different. These also are kept crisp and clean. I even Iron the pillow cases once on, and also the loose sheet is folded in place and ironed crisp clean folds. Enough to please the meanest Drill Instructor!
My reviews have be outstanding. They all praise the clean crisp bedding, love the quilts. And lastly, everyone seems to like the extra firm mattresses. They really are firm, I was a bit worried about those who like soft, but nobody has done anything but praise the firmness.
As an Air BnB host, beds and bedding is your secret weapon to please.
I’ve stayed in masses of Hotels, motels and commercial BnBs. Their bedding and beds frighten me! Clean? Hardly. I know a woman who makes up rooms for a living, she supervises the whole crew. Imagine how many cut corners, like not changing the fitted sheet is looks okay. Or worse, never washing blankets. How many blankets have I seen I would rather burn than cuddle up in!
My rule is, the guest should see the bed and bedding and be eager to just cuddle down into it and enjoy the fresh crisp clean feel.
Call me fanatic, by going into the military at 17 years old, I had clean bedding knocked into my head.

2 Likes

My pleasure dcmooney!

james,

Can you share what mattresses you use that are firm? It’s so strange - I took a poll of friends, etc. a long time ago and asked what type mattress they prefer and all said soft. I hate soft mattresses. Then I researched online and it seemed most people prefer firm. The firmer the better for me. I inherited both mattresses I use at the rental. They are high end mattresses and I can tell they are very comfortable to most people, but a bit too soft for me. Both are pillow tops. I just want to be prepared when/if I need to replace. I have never purchased a mattress on my own. I have always had one passed down to me, and then I pass mine down to someone else. Any ideas what the point of a pillow top mattress is? What is the purpose of a topper? I did notice the king bed at the rental seemed quite unusually comfortable to me and wish I knew if was in the firm category. One guest wanted to know the brand and another said she was tempted to strap it to the back of her car and take it home. But I know they change model numbers, etc. and don’t know what firmness they are.

Here is the thing. I bought my guest room mattresses 10 years ago when I completed this new house. I went to a large nation wide furniture retailer. I said I want really firm mattresses. Oh! He looked stumped, he said, most all new mattresses are soft, people don’t like or want firm anymore, that went out in the 90’s! I managed to get the two firmest types the store could find. They really are firm, you do not sink in much.
Guests have made extra efforts to praise the comfort of the beds, one woman reviewed me saying her husband hadn’t slept well for years, but my bed was perfect and he slept like a baby. Never in 3 years of hosting has anyone said the mattress was too firm.
Since it was ten years ago, my make is probably not made anymore.
Do google search and just search “firm mattress”, you should get a thousand hits, and follow where that leads.
No pillow tops, if you can help it. They took over the market, and are just a fad to raise the price of a mattress!

3 Likes

you are right, 69jc! When I went to purchase the mattress to replace my old airbed, the store is crammed with all this high-tech stuff. I slept on a bed with a memory foam topper once and felt like I was stuck all night -

If buying new, the reasonable mattresses are sometimes in the back - the salesman took me to the stock room, and they had a few grades of no-frills mattresses. I found one I loved. They seemed to come in pillow-top, plush, and plain. I went with plush - just a bit of cush - my guests from Beligum said they loved it - we’ll see!! In my foreign travels I remember most beds being hard - especially in Asia - so I kept that in mind.

How fun to have a group of people to chat about mattress options with! LOL! Everyone else in my life will be like … whaaaaa???

2 Likes

I too bought a mattress that when we brought it home and placed it on the bed it was extremely firm.

So firm in fact that we thought it would lead to very bad reviews and got a quilted topper which to be honest I didn’t think made that much difference to the firmness.

However, we’ve had many guests in, and not one has conplained, and older guests have loved it - one wanted to buy it off us, saying she slept better on it then she had slept in a long time!

Go figure!

In the room description we have also indicated “a very firm mattress good for those with bad backs”! Before that, the word “very” was actually “extremely” but I decided to tone that down, when the expected complaints were not coming in!

1 Like

DC, This is a safe place to talk about hard things… such as mattresses… hard, soft, lumpy, or pillowtop. :smile: And really your first inflatable Air mattress was more genuinely in line with the original mission of AirBnB!

1 Like

Wow! thanks for this re triple sheeting…since people lay all over the duvet…I end up washing 4 layers of sheets…bottom sheet, top sheed and two layers of the duvet. I hate putting comfortors in duvets as well. I also buy a size larger for the bed…so I don’t have to strain streching the fitted sheet over the mattress…best idea I had regarding bedding. light colors are best.

We love the Clara Clark sheets from Amazon, the duvet cover that goes with it as well. Very inexpensive and silky elegance. These are 200$ sheet sets for under 30$ http://www.amazon.com/Clara-Clark-Premier-1800-Sheet/dp/B00902XG6O/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1KTY3Z1K2EN2Y&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1449752235&sr=1-1

1 Like

But they are microfiber–polyester. I try to use all cotton if possible or cotton blend. I find the microfiber doesn’t wear as well and pills up after a while. Costco also has great sheet sets in all cotton for about $60 for a queen or king.

2 Likes