Advice needed, house was trashed first time out hosting

Hi AirBnB hosts,

I am flummoxed, and not sure how to proceed. I am a brand new host with a sweet garden cottage listed. My very first guest stayed a week, wanted complete privacy and so that is what I provided to her. After she left, the house is trashed… I had to repaint teh walls, sand my deck and wood patio furniture, trow away and replace sheets, towels, a blanket and a comforter. The scariest part is that she left a bottle of urine! (bathroom is in a separate building as advertised), AND there is blood all over the bedspread (no violence suspected).
As a brand new host, I have no reviews and do not want to start with a retaliated bad one if I try to keep her meager deposit or give her a horrible review, BUT, I don’t want others to ever have the misfortune to host for her either…

Any advice is very welcomed!!

Tea

1 Like

Ok I know it’s too late but the complete privacy request was a HUGE red flag
Do you have a security deposit? Have you photographed and documented all and have you contacted Airbnb? That’s what the host guarantee is for. Where is your listing? I’m thinking abortion but my mind is very overactive. And you MUST leave an accurate review. Is she a newbie? Any reviews, verifications?
And stop worrying about reviews.

1 Like

Contact Airbnb asap to get help (specially as your are new host they should give you extra help)

2 Likes

Document everything. Photograph all of the damages. Submit a claim via the Host Guarantee. Inquire as to what happened via the messenger on the site. You must move quickly.

2 Likes

Take photos of all damage is my first thought. I’m sure you have photos of before the damage to compare. Then contact Airbnb.

I had my first bit of damage the other day. My 22nd guest accidentally broke the light fitting. I took photos and she messaged me while she was working to tell me through Airbnb chat. But she was happy to pay the £4.50 for the new fixture. It was sorted easily. But your one sounds like it requires Airbnbs attention.

Oh and save all receipts for expense of fixing it.

All the above and please leave a review. If she retaliates delete the account and start over. Things will get better.

3 Likes

Abortion! Eeek. With blood, urine and a mess I’d be tempted to call the cops.

1 Like

OP is speaking in past tense about repainting walls and re-sanding her deck so I’m guessing we’re past 48 hrs.

The right thing to do would be to leave a review that describes what you found in the house after she left. Then report her to AIr. Then claim the damages through resolution center. SHe is such an incredible pig that she should never be allowed into people’s houses again under no circumstances.
I had guests who trashed my house too. That was my second review and i trashed him. I described in such detail what he left and what he did, that there is no way any host will ever host him again. But he can make fake profile or ask someone in his party to book. But in a long run my review will haunt him.For right now he can never travel under his real name unless he instant books.

3 Likes

Black market kidney donation??
Or maybe she sells clean urine to druggies who need to pass a test.

1 Like

Thank you all! I did take photos and will reach out to AirBnB today. The 48 hr to claim the deposit has just past, but I don’t think that $100 would have made any difference.
I will give a review so that no other host has to experience her in the future.

thank you all!

Tea

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and to airbnb hosting. You can learn a lot here that will help you avoid future disasters.

3 Likes

Even if 48 has passed they still give you a chance to file a claim. I did it both times past 48 hours

1 Like

You have 14 days to file a claim.

1 Like

Isn’t it just 48 hrs till they give the deposit back?

1 Like

They never actually charge the deposit unless a claim is made. It’s just a preauthorization to make sure your account is good for it if needed.

1 Like

Again, this request begs the question, why? I would have asked for a complete explanation of the reason for her visit, but probably have denied her. I wonder if she would have answered as to her reason for her visit?

1 Like

Oh what a terrible terrible experience. So sorry to hear about it. . Everyone else has given great advice here. Thank-god she at least pissed in a bottle!!

If it were me, I would get in touch with the guest and ask for reimbursement of all your expenses and at least $25.00 for you time. If she doesn’t make you whole; file a police report. I assume that leaving that kind of damage at a place of business and not paying for it constitutes theft.

Don’t leave a review until all the claims are filed. Wait until the last minute to leave a review if you do chose to.

1 Like