Advice for Instant Booking Cancellation!

Make sure you’re talking to someone from Airbnb US. They tend to know the actual rules better, from my experience.

Haha!!! I love it!!!

We do not know that is the case.

We only know that he was convicted. We don’t even know if this guy is sorry for what he did. I know a few people with past indiscretions who have either not made restitution to society, or cannot be held because there is simply not enough room to do so.

One such case, I’m currently dealing with a friends’ son who was convicted of b&e and worse 5 years ago, and is now trying to turn his life around. However, he keeps attracting bad people and getting beat up. We’re stuck between wanting to help him find a better life, but not really wanting to employ him at our house.

I completely understand that someone wouldn’t feel comfortable with hosting. This is a natural consequence to bad behaviour.

1 Like

Remember though that the OP has a separate apartment. It’s not a case of the person coming into their home where they and their children live.

Hello ALl!

May I thank all of you you that has responded to my dilemma.!

Ultimately, Airbnb did step in and cancel my situation. I only wish they had done it sooner…

A big shoutout to my new friend @cabinhost who helped me so much with my dilemma.

If anyone would like to receive my help or guidance with their particular situation, I’d be glad to assist!

2 Likes

Oh that must be why I am single

Well that’s another topic still. I wonder if anyone here ever dated one of their Airbnb guests, and formed a lasting relationship out of this.

1 Like

My sister married off her American guest to her best friend in France who had been single for 5 years. My sister was stoked as she was so sick of hearing her single woes but now they don’t want my sister freeloading in the new couples Paris 1 bedroom & told my sister to book her own ABB when she’s in Paris. Now she’s not so happy he he

It’s really annoying…I’d use instant book if they had any serious background check in place but they just do not, and even hosts rarely are honest about their experience with guests (they are usually just relieved when they are gone), so having host reviews as a precaution is next to worthless.

1 Like

In my first year hosting I got a CUTE CUTE Dutch guy traveling alone… So tempting to flirt but I didn’t want him to think I was a predatory host. I was probably much older than him… I think he liked me though! :heart_eyes:

Whatever “predatory host” means. :innocent:

However, I guess hosting is a business relationship, so not sure if business and private matters should mix.

You know… hitting on a guest!
But yeah… I thought I should avoid giving that impression!

1 Like

Just this morning I received a notice from Airbnb that I had lost my Superhost status because I cancelled an Instant Book reservation just before Christmas. Here’s what happened. Our son called from Colorado late one night to tell us that he was surprising us with a visit for the holidays, and would arrive two days later. Because it was past midnight when he called, I didn’t think to block out the dates on my Airbnb calendar until the next morning. Wouldn’t you know it, when I logged on the next morning someone had instant booked for his first night here. I immediately contacted them and explained the situation and asked if they’d cancel their reservation. They understood what had happened and cancelled, but Airbnb still penalized me.

I called and tried to explain what had happened and have it be declared extenuating circumstances, but they said it didn’t fit their definition. (Mind you, I could have lied and said someone died or was sick, but I thought it was better to tell the truth.)

So after three years of being a Superhost because of going out of our way to provide top-notch service to our guests, they send me a smarmy message about how they know I’ll work hard to get the Superhost status back for the next review period. F**k them.

The only reason I turned on Instant Book in the first place was to try and support their anti-discrimination efforts. I’m really pissed about this and think the greedy bastards in San Francisco are a total bunch of wankers.

4 Likes

I don’t understand this. People cancel on me regularly and I’ve had SH status for 10 straight quarters.

He must have complained about you or told them you pressured him or something.

I didn’t understand it either. Nor did the Airbnb customer service guy. But they wouldn’t give in.

Some people here have had good luck pressing the point on the phone or even tweeting your disgust?

OTOH, plenty of people here don’t care about SH status, don’t think it helps, or brings more entitled guests. So if you could adopt that attitude it would call for a celebration.

1 Like

I’ll adopt that attitude :slight_smile: We just got a booking for three days next weekend anyway, even though we’re no longer Superhosts. BTW, your place looks awesome and if I ever find myself in El Paso would book it!

Thanks for your kind words! If you’d like to PM me your listing I might return the favor. I do like to use Airbnb in my travels.

I think you might have cancelled without knowing. There’s an option that says: my host needs to cancel and then a message is normally sent to the host asking them to accept the cancellation. It counts against you if you click accept.

Thanks for the tip, Zandra.