Adventures in finding a solid cleaning team

Absolutely any amenities a host lists need to be there.

What I have found is that my female guests seem to all arrive with their own bathroom products, I guess because women are more likely to be particular about what they use.

The guys seem to go out and buy things and leave it behind, even if they’ve barely used any, because they don’t feel like packing it. They are also the ones who seem to make use of the stuff in the “help yourself” basket, much more than the women.

4 Likes

I hate washing my hair so it doesn’t matter much what I use. It’s washed and that’s good enough for me :flushed:

When I was younger I was in a business that required excellent grooming and I’m still tired from all that extra work so I just don’t fuss anymore.

1 Like

I have a friend/neighbor who was a rep for Clarins her entire working life. She was also married to a well-off guy when she lived in the US, and they attended social events and could be seen in photos on the society pages of the newspaper. She was named “Best dressed in Pittsburgh” two years in a row.

She’s 75, but always looks great. She knows how to apply make-up flawlessly, gets her hair done regularly, and has a great wardrobe.

But years ago she asked me why she always gets quoted really high prices by the local tradesmen, compared to what others get that work done for.
I suggested that when she gets people to come do estimates, she take off the gold jewelry, forego the make-up, and wear one of her around the house dresses, instead of looking rich. (She isn’t rich, but you wouldn’t know it to see her when she goes out) :laughing:

2 Likes

I call that Doctor pricing!
I had a 20 year old car, mine since new and low mileage, but after teaching children to drive was very tired looking.
Took a tiler around to the properties wanting quotes on 5 bathrooms.
He went from house to house and his eyes got wider.
And the end he said to me- you have these beautiful homes- why do you drive such an old car?
My response was - you judge me by my car…?
It does the job and one day it will be replaced.
Two years later we gave it to a family in need.

3 Likes

Haha. When I was building my house in Mexico, which I could only afford to do because I owned my home in Canada outright, but had remortgaged it to afford to buy and build here, the Canadian renter’s rent covering the mortgage with nothing to spare, my vehicle at the time was a 20 year old sedan that was totally rusty and which the land crabs had eaten the upholstery inside of, when I forgot to roll up the windows one night.

I was driving one of my workers home and he asked why I drive such an old beater, why I didn’t buy a new car. I replied, “Do you think I’d be driving this piece of s**t if I could afford a new car?”

I then gave him an explanation about why I could afford to build a house here, which he totally got, as he understood what a mortgage was, although he and most Mexicans here own the homes they live in outright- mortgages aren’t common. But they tend to think all foreigners are wealthy.

I have never cared what my vehicles looked like (much to my kids’ embarrassment when they were teenagers)- as far as I’m concerned, if it gets me from point A to point B without breaking down, it’s just fine.

3 Likes

I was trying to use up all my single use stuff, then the pandemic hit.

My solution has been to put it all in the medicine cabinet, available but not out. Now it barely gets used. I do use an eco friendly product line but still it adds to the landfill

Same with wrapped new kitchen sponges, left out it gets used. Left in drawer it’s used less than half the time.

RR

1 Like

I hope this doesn’t sound like a silly question, but what do the guests clean the dishes with if they don’t use the sponge?

Do you have a scrubber or something like that? I’ve never considered it since, at least at home, they get sad looking fast.

I offer a full kitchen and they must wash their pots/pans/bakeware. We offer a dishwasher and most everything is dishwasher safe.

2 Likes

I’ve never used a sponge in my life to wash dishes. Those kitchen sponges are awful- they get funky and useless really fast. Just more garbage to throw away.

I’ve always used a plastic scrubbie and now I found some scrubbies that are made of coconut fibre, which I like. There are also these little scrubbies that are cloth but with a plasticy surface. They last a long time and are a bit pricey.

I haven’t bought a sponge in years, although I use them to wipe counters and for lots of other stuff. But I cut my own from the off-cuts of the good quality foam I use in my upholstery work-I have boxes full of them. That’s all those kitchen sponges are, is foam, but really low quality foam, so they die quickly.

1 Like

@aelilya trust me - I’m asking the same thing. Every Airbnb I’ve ever been to had a brand new sponge - it’s expected. I also don’t know how we would do dishes without a sponge. Even though in my own kitchen we have a scrubber as well. There are things they don’t clean as well as a sponge with a rough side ….

1 Like

The “rough side” isn’t any different than those little green fibre scrubbies. It’s exactly the same thing, just glued on the sponge.

1 Like

Dishcloths but usually to clean the pots & pans, a scrubbie is needed. I have dishcloths & wrapped scrubbie sponges. I was surprised at how many sponges were un-used at the end of summer. Maybe my guests ate out so didn’t cook often. Last summer, it was mostly cook at the condo or carry-out.

I leave a clean dish cloths on the counter by the sink.

RR