Accepting Bookings from Guests With No Reviews

Just make sure the person who booked has made sure that the person they booked for has thoroughly read the listing information so they don’t arrive expecting something not on offer. But you’ve been doing this a long time, you probably know that.

1 Like

Understood, plus my husband’s friend actually gets to write the review.

2 Likes

I have IB on and everything checked that I can to verify people. When I’ve gotten requests to book with no reviews, I’ve politely explained that AirBnB is a little different than hotels, and as a host I require reviews to ensure the safety of my property, so I’m a little extra cautious. I’ll then ask them (politely) what they’re visiting for, and offer restaurant and tourist ideas if they’re not visiting friends or fam. While waiting on their replies, I’m doing a web search on who they are and based on their hometown, can usually get a read on if they’re going to be a problem or not. I’ve accepted everyone, not had any problems (knock on wood) but I do make sure I’m out talking to the neighbors, working in the yard, or something really visible so I can meet them.

1 Like

I accept all guest, some of the worst ones were with many 5 star reviews.
More important than the reviews to me is how they communicate, If they are super annoying and ask stupid questions, then I make sure they cancel the booking, as last resort if needed I will do the penalty free cancelation.

2 Likes

It’s strange how things work out. My guest that left this morning was my very first booking from VRBO. No ratings, in fact, she told me up front she was brand new to VRBO and was very nervous about using VRBO instead of a hotel. She asked me so many annoying and stupid questions, I offered her a penalty free cancelation if she wasn’t comfortable with the booking. She declined and stayed with me for 3 nights. I have to say they were probably the best guests I’ve ever hosted. They left the place so clean, I could have just replaced a couple of used towels and re-rented the place the way they left it. They swept the floors and they even made the beds (yes, I stripped them and washed everything per standard procedure). I could barely tell they had even been there.

So, I’m learning to be careful and balance gut feelings and broad generalizations with some good common sense and understanding.

Mike

3 Likes

Had a guest exactly like that, except he didn’t ask any annoying and stupid questions when he requested to book. But I was wary because he had joined years ago, but had no reviews, his profile said he was a student, his profile photo was him and 2 other guys (how am I supposed to know which is him?) toasting with wine glasses, and he sent a non-informative, one sentence, message with his request. So I’m thinking partier.

Not that anyone can throw a party in my private room listing, but I also don’t want guests who stumble home drunk from the bar at 2AM.

But he left his space just like your guests. I was floored. Someone raised him right.

4 Likes