A Rant on guests who want more, get more and leave a 4 star rating!

I offer a room in my house, host international students and I work from home.
I try to be accommodating to wishes of my guests, I ask them at the booking stage if they have any special wishes, e.g. food as I provide breakfast.
I don’t mind giving a bit extra to make my guests stay comfortable.
That said… DEMANDING is a no-go, for that I have no patience what soever…
POLITENESS is the key!

2 Likes

Unfortunately it stand to reason that a demanding and entitled guest would be unappreciative and not care about how their actions impact you. I used to always do the minimum for these people so that I wouldn’t feel like they had taken a chunk out of me later. The great thing about short term rentals is that you don’t have to wait too long until you see the backs of their heads. I have had the odd long term tenant who was like this and that is like having a tumor that continues to grow exponentially the longer they stay. I have one who had been around for 6 years now and I just heard from another tenant she is thinking about moving… that’s like winning the lottery :grin:

3 Likes

We are flexible with the times, as long as it doesn’t Interfere with the next guest stay.

1 Like

LOL, I remember those B&Bs of yesteryear so very well, hence why I howled with laughter reading Bill Bryson’s “Notes from a Small Island”.

… and in the 1960s too! Even told what time you could have a hot bath … AND in some cases, had to put a coin in the water heater for it. I am feeling so old now:-)

1 Like

In my house rules it says early check-in or check-out might be available for a $10 fee and to inquire first. If you just give people free stuff, they won’t appreciate it but if you make it available to them and they want it bad enough to pay for it, they will appreciate having the option.

Same goes for amenities. I try to anticipate my guests needs and make sure they understand what is and isn’t provided before they book or at least check-in. No exceptions and no special treatment otherwise it leads to poor reviews like you experienced.

1 Like

I used to do that, for a $30 fee until somebody mentioned it in a review, seems kind of transactional… So now I do not offer it.

RR

Excellent response. I’ll add that mine as well. Thank you

1 Like

Good points too. I’ve learnt to do what I want as a host

I would add a lot of things to my listing if I thought there was a chance anybody would read it. As it is, I say “please include information about you and your travel companions along with your request.” What I get is, “We can’t wait to stay in your lovely home.”

When I first started hosting, I didn’t mind special accommodations, which was still inside the house rules. People wanted to bring in additional guests at no charge, store items in my garage, and leave pets during the day while I watched them. I’ve had guests ask to pay me directly rather than going through Airbnb, which almost ALWAYS has been an issue. I would suggest sticking firmly with house rules, no parties/entertainment (on both sides: host/guests), however, guests may occasionally have visitors who don’t stay overnight. Having a strict check-in and out policy and staying with it, ultimately makes for happy guests and good reviews. I have yet to have a review for being inflexible. All the best!

1 Like

I, too, had to learn this the hard way. These days I find it quite easy to say no to requests for early check-in as I truly need to necessary time to ensure we properly clean the property using COVID best-practices. I ironically just had guest message two nights ago asking to check-in a few hours early. My wife agreed, I actually share your view. Tonight she just messaged me back letting me know she will be doing a boudoir photoshoot, but won’t have “more than 5 people” on the premises at any time (our listing says 4, she booked one). Now it explains why she wanted an early check-in.

She can now pay our unapproved commercial usage fee ($250) or figure out new arrangements.

All that to say, @muddy, you are 100% correct about those who ask for special arrangements.

1 Like