A host who travels lists their Airbnb hates - now modified to be called "My Pet Peeves"

Love this…You just said “NOT”

That’s unfortunate. I am an at home host and have taken your list to heart! Thanks for sharing with us. All feedback is good, from a guests’ perspective.

2 Likes

I love this posting! So helpful and I agree 100%.
I let a complete home and I constantly have the dilemma about whether to meet and greet or leave the key in the key safe. Personally, as a guest, I would prefer to just let myself in and have the privacy to look around but I worry that some guests might feel ‘neglected’. So I generally just give the guests the choice.

2 Likes

You agree with my post 100%?

If so that’s amazing and I thank you but maybe you were just agreeing with the previous post 100%, that would make more sense.

My husband and I travel together and he doesn’t agree with all the things on my list, he says a lot of things are petty. And he is right they are petty, none of them I have complained to a host about. It was just a list I made of “peeves” after 3 months solid of staying in Airbnbs, even I don’t follow my liquid soap one.

And tonight I have had a guest complain that there isn’t any cooking oil in one of my places (she has sent 3 messages about it). I have never complained to a host about the lack of oil even though less that 10% of the places I have stayed in have supplied it. We always check what we need to buy when we check in and then go to the supermarket. The cleaner is insisting it’s in the cupboard, tomorrow we will find out.

2 Likes

So I read this post yesterday before the topic name was changed and I think that’s a good thing. What comes to mind for me is that as hosts we complain about some of the unrealistic expectations of guests and that guests don’t take the time to read our listing. Many of the things you listed I do supply but some I don’t. Mostly because guests weren’t using them or abusing them. BUT everything I offer is detailed on my listing. I think it’s up to the guests to know what they want in an Airbnb and then only book spaces that have these things. When in doubt, ask before booking.

4 Likes

Great list. I too host and travel. Re: how appliances work - I tape instructions right on or near appliance - maybe looks tacky- but handy for guest to know e.g. you have to pull knob OUT for water in shower; Ikea stove - you have to press cancel then press bake to change temperature in oven; lite dimmer must be in UP position for lights to turn on in bathroom.

One question re basics - other than milk and cooking oil, salt and pepper - what else is considered basic? And if people rent for a month, are we supposed to re-supply Toilet paper, etc?

1 Like

Love your message!

This is what I supply: Starter kit – We leave a few basic supplies for each guest; 2-3 butters (small hotel type ones), a container full of a mixture of spreads and one milk (tetra pack of long life). A minimum of three toilet rolls, if a stay is longer that three days then a roll per day up to maximum of 10.

This is my shopping list for consumables but I know we supply more than this:
Tea
Coffee
Coffee pods
Milk long life (small)
Sugar
Salt & pepper
Butter
Spreads/condiments
Cooking oil
Paper towel
Bin liners
Dish washing detergent
Dish cloths
Toilet paper
Alfoil/plastic wrap
Soap
Shampoo
Conditioner
Washing powder
Batteries for remotes
Spare light globes
Fly spray

I’m loving the way my “Pet Peeves” is turning into an honest discussion of what we all think is important as guests and hosts.

Thanks for the way this post has now developed.

6 Likes

Once more, I want to reiterate that a whole house that sleeps 10 or 14 guests is an entirely different animal, than an self contained unit for 2 people.

3 Likes

Clean duvet cover is essential. No more than 2 stars for cleanliness for a used duvet lol

I think guesting on Airbnb is one of the most important things a host can do. I wouldn’t mind a bit if Airbnb required at least one guest stay before becoming a host. You learn A LOT about hosting by guesting. We didn’t guest on Airbnb until we had been hosting for six months. We have now stayed in about ten different Airbnbs, and we learn something new at every one. We learn what we don’t want to do, and we learn what we aspire to do. We are always learning, trying to improve our listing, our hosting, AND our guesting. That’s all you can ask.

8 Likes

I have another.one: there is never any outlets to charge phone.next to bed. Usually guests arrive with phones dying or dead already. I provide extension or my beds are located next to outlet. Now I am at Airbnb and I sit on a floor next to outlet and typing this. There is no TV IN A room, so instead of watching Netflix I will just go to sleep as I must charge my phone first and ithen don’t want to sit on a floor.
And.on top of that my host is charging for coffee😀

2 Likes

Oh, sheesh–how annoying! I have iPhone and micro-USB charging cables on the bedside table. I also have extra outlets by the bed. These are things you may not think of when you set up an Airbnb. They certainly aren’t required, but they sure do come in handy when offered. I have only had one guest take the iPhone charging cord, and I’m going to think of that as an accident.

Get some good sleep–and find a nice local coffee house when you get up!

3 Likes

@Yana, I HATE sitting on the floor to use/charge my phone. I found these nightstands on Amazon, (“The Night Owl”) and bought two. Only $75 (US) each, what a steal! They are solid wood (not the Ikea laminate crap that I have in my own room, that’s chipping, peeling, etc.), have 4 USB ports in each nightstand, and the night stands come with chargers see photos in link).

They are holding up great, and are narrow, so a perfect fit for my space. I also have a sofa in the room, so it would be crowded looking with larger/wider nightstands. Anyway, the USB ports have a cover over them so they look tasteful. You don’t even notice them–or the cord that plugs in to power them–so I have to point them out to guests during the “dreaded tour” at check in, that many on this thread seem to hate.

Sorry, but I am not going to leave guests a bunch of notes/signs regarding all the quirks of this 1965 house. My house/kitchen/everywhere would be full of signage. Also, how the hell do they know where their room is for starters? Big signs with arrows all over the house? LOL. I live in the space with the guests so they will have to get used to me! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019C4PPTU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

PS. I have a long extension charger for my own phone in my bedroom b/c of the same problem with outlet behind bed or across the room. Does anyone notice that these long chargers charge VERY SLOW! I bought an off brand, not an Apple charger…

That’s why I think it’s important you stay in your own Airbnb. I had the same problem when I stayed in one that I managed. The only power point was behind the bed, I couldn’t charge my phone so woke up not having a clue whether it was 5am or 11am. I went and bought power boards that day.

That is also how I found about the blunt chopping knives, I couldn’t even cut a lime, now sharpening chopping knives every few months is on my cleaners list.

1 Like

I got these lamps for each nightstand in my AirBnB so that people won’t have to move furniture to find an outlet. (They come in a lot of different colors too!)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Z5JBJL/ref=s9_acsd_hps_ft_c_x_1_w?th=1

4 Likes

The problem with the ‘Tour’ is information overload. Too much in too short a time at an inoportune moment for the guest …
especially if a potty break is necessary.

Then …do you do the tour with all guests or parts? Because those parts will pass on a fraction of what all was explained.

Perhaps the teachers can chime in on that …

2 Likes

Thank you for the links . I actually needed lamps and couple nightstand for my pool house…
I have another one,hehehe,. ALMOST EVERY host gives very bad directions on how to find them .Guests not always have internet as soon as they arrived to your country. Please be specific and accurate. My present host picked me up from train station. I come out of train and there are 4 exits. She did not even tell me which exit to take. Not only that: even when I asked her she didn’t give me name of the exit, she gave me a street which I would end up on if I took an exit which is different from the name of exit. I am sorry… but this is,just stupid. It took us half hour to meet.

There is no nightstand or anything but bed in a room. I had to put my water right on floor.
B

3 Likes

I really appreciate you mentioning the meet and greet tip - give them 10 minutes. I have always walked my guest through our apartment, babbling on and on about the quirks and amenities. If I was the guest - you are correct, my first instinct would be the need to go the bathroom. I have learned from your wisdom!! Thank you.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, I did go into this earlier on in this post and also the length that great hosts go to to make sure you can find them. I have had both instances repeatedly, wonderful maps sent to me with arrows and photo’s showing the exact parking space I was to use and then instances of trying to find the place for ages with no wi fi available and lugging suitcases .

And yes the lack of a bedside table is particularly annoying, I usually find a chair to use and then look for something to make the seat flat, like a chopping board or a tray so I can put my water on it.

1 Like