Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

A guest whose been banned from Airbnb?

One of my regular guests sent me this article.

Got banned from Airbnb

This is about a guest who has been banned for life from Airbnb. Repeated attempts by him to find out why went unanswered. He tracks this down to leaving reviews for the host on other travel sites.

An interesting read.

Guest complaint leading to cancellation of account with total lack of transparency

Follow the rules, or risk getting shown the door. Guess this proves ABB does look out for hosts.

I can understand those kind of decisions if you’re new, I almost got sucked in myself. But this fellow is a self-described expert user.

I feel for him, actually. If you book a multi-night stay anywhere, you would not be expected to have to get out of the space during the day so the hosts can conduct other business there. That’s completely unreasonable.

And I also agree with him that there should be a system of Due Process when banned. I remember the confusion and hurt that was evident in posts on this forum by hosts that were banned and they didn’t know why and couldn’t get Airbnb to talk to them about it.

If you google this you will find so many hosts and guests who have been banned for no explanation. Even hosts who claimed that all of their recent guests had great interaction with them, and they had all 5 star reviews.

My partner was banned from Airbnb. There are different variations of letters they will send you. This is the one he received:

"Thank you for uploading your ID for our ID Verification process. Upon review, and given information uncovered pursuant to online public records, we have determined that it is in the best interest of Airbnb, and for the users on our site, to deactivate your account permanently. We realize that this may come as a disappointment and that you may have questions regarding this determination. We hope you understand that this decision is exercised at our sole discretion and that we are not obligated to provide an explanation as to the action taken against your account, nor are we liable to a user in any way with respect to deactivating or canceling his or her account.

Should you choose to dispute the decision, please submit any documents you think may be relevant to us, at no additional cost to Airbnb. We will forward those documents to our Legal Department for review before any decision regarding reinstatement of your account can be made.

Additionally, please understand that this removal will also entail the immediate termination of your pending or accepted bookings. As such, we may: 1) communicate to your guests that a potential or confirmed booking has been cancelled; and 2) refer guests or potential guests to alternate accommodations which may be available. Also we may communicate to your host that your reservation has been cancelled and refunded in full.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best regards,"

You cannot find anything on his record during an online search. So he paid for an online backiground check. He received an “adjudication withheld” from the state of Florida back in 1983. I tried to explain to the rep. that the verdict was not a guilty conviction. But since the verdict wasn’t “not guilty” (which wouldn’t even appear on his record…the adjudication withheld was there showing the charges.

So…after 4 years of being superhost, and receiving excellent reviews - they banned him, cancelled any bookings. Thankfully there was only one booking (that I had just received the night before). I had already grabbed the guest’s contact info, so she decided to book directly. I hadn’t even had a booking through the site for 6 weeks since they were only showing instant book listings in my area by default.

This is one reason I stress the importance of diversification and not becoming dependent on one site. And why it’s important to try to get direct bookings, or at least have your repeat guests book directly.

If I hadn’t been such an active user of this forum, and read about how this works, I would have lost my mind :joy:

Oh…and pretty sure this was a random in depth check they did. But we will never know. Around the time he was banned I had come across an old article saying how they were partnering with a new background check service or something to that effect. All of our Airbnb guests left 5 star reviews, except one 4 star. And the last guest we had 6 weeks prior was very happy with her stay. So…I do not believe there were any reports from a guest.

Hi cabin, had your partner recently uploaded ID at Air’s request?

@Chloe …No he hadn’t uploaded anything. Actually my partner wouldn’t even know how to log into the account.

It had been 4 years since I first uploaded his info for him to create his profile. All of the rental income is reported under his social security number,…so the account is solely in his name, but I always managed it for him.

I can see why they do not want to get into a discussion but false hots are not unknown and unless it is very obvious I doubt you would ever know.

I have gone through Background Checks and they need a LOT more info than ABB will have to do a proper job

Fingerprints for a start.

I agree the need to not have all your eggs in the ABB basket.

And you know Como…it solidifies my thoughts that Airbnb does discriminate, but they don’t allow hosts to if it affects their bottom line. Just goes to show they are full of it. They will try to force a host to rent to 20 eighteen year olds for spring break, but if they think for a second someone had an “adjudication withheld” in 1983, and was a superhost for 4 years…but something may come back…ah…nahh man…you are out of here. That’s real discrimination. Trust me…I am not crying. But I always knew ABB was full of anything they said with discrimination. Too funny…

Most discriminatory business I can recollect having dealings with.

But you can’t be sure that that is what it is about? Maybe it’s something else? In any case there should be some way to appeal their decision. It’s a basic tenet in the US, since the McCarthy era, that you have the right to be faced by your accusers. Airbnb seems to set this back.

I think it’s probably a good thing that for either a host or a guest you write your review in the time permitted and use the Airbnb system. Not a good thing if you go on other media badmouthing a guest or host after the Airbnb reviews have been published.

And is that guy guessing that’s what it is? Cuz…that seemed so far fetched to me. I wonder if the host made up some kind of accusation, like how we have heard some hosts thinking a guest made up lies about discrimination, etc. I have never heard of any TOS where it is a violation to leave a review on other sites.

You’re right though. I will never know if that was the violation or if it was something else. Believe me…we went through every possible scenario. I didn’t get into all detail above. But the rep. was specifically asked what documentation should be submitted for their review from the legal dept…if no one is willing to say what the violation is. The rep. did reply back if there was some sort of expungement, etc. to submit that. There was never an expungement…as my partner never followed up with it at the time he had applied over 35 years ago. So because the rep. mentioned that…it only validated it must be something about a criminal past. And others online were basically saying that is the template you receive when ABB is banning you in regards to your past.

However, when I submitted copies of the paid for records- and explained “adjudication withheld” is not a guilty conviction, there was no talk except “this is our final decision blah blah blah.” It makes me wonder even if there had been an expungement, if they would have done the same. Because really what’s the difference?..because really it doesn’t change the original verdict from a judge. So what if there was an expungement or not.

But I know ABB is just covering their ass and life isn’t fair. Ah well…

He has to be guessing since Airbnb didn’t tell him.

This is all some crazy stuff like out of a Franz Kafka novel. The Trial or something like that. It’s not right.

Like eBay, the customer’s always right, even when they are not.

very interesting read indeed…

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!