A guest wants to change the dates

My guest who booked a month ago for the week before and Christmas day wants to move the reservation for March. There is serious possibility that I won’t be able to get book that late. I don’t know how this thing works? Please help if you know

Sounds like they may be wanting “shift and cancel”.

What’s your cancellation policy? If it’s strict the you could always suggest that they book for March, cancel Christmas booking and that you’ll refund based on what you manage to rebook.

Explaining it all very politely and friendly of course.

JF

3 Likes

This is a know trick for guests - move the dates to the future and then get to cancel for free or a lot lower penalty.

JohnF is right. Tell them they have to CANCEL, not modify, their reservation.

I’ll bet they suddenly either show up on the dates they booked, come up with an extenuating circumstance, or just cancel and won’t rebook.

7 Likes

Thank that is very helpful!
Μυρτώ Κατσίνα
Myrto Katsina :cyclone:

I agree with the other advice; this sounds suspicious. As John says, be very friendly and don’t let on that you are suspicious. If after they reply concerned about their refund tell them to check their travel insurance policy. The sooner they cancel the better your chance to rebook so you might want to use that as leverage to get them to go ahead and cancel.

3 Likes

We’ve had one cancellation from AirBnB guests. I simply said “That’s too bad that you can’t make it. Let me know what paperwork you need to make a claim on your trip insurance and I’m happy to get that to you quickly”. Never heard from them again!

5 Likes

Simple @myrkats just say no.

Say if they can’t come they can cancel if they can’t come and if the time gets re-booked you can consider a proportional refund.

Of course it depends on your cancellation policy. If you have chosen flexible sadly ypu are stuffed :confused:

1 Like

But if you have that then try to get them to cancel ASAP rather than waiting until the day before if at all possible.

1 Like

Then they can cancel anyways without losing money so definitely take them up on re-booking in March!

2 Likes

Thank you! I said to them to cancel and rebook for March and if they do that I will refund them if I get rebooked! Guess what? They never booked for March!

4 Likes

So they cancelled the Dec booking? Let us know if you get your payout in accordance with your cancel policy.

2 Likes

@myrkats What is your cancellation policy? You never told us :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

LOL That’s great!

My cancellation policy is strict and I will receive it accordingly. Thank you all.for your help!

Μυρτώ Κατσίνα
Myrto Katsina :cyclone:

2 Likes