A/B testing of your listing

Hey all, I just found this AMAZING forum!

I’m trying to figure out if we can increase the conversion of bookings on our place.

We had between 3.8 to 4.3% conversion so far. And I wonder how other people test what works and doesn’t work for them to increase bookings. Reviews goes without saying. I’m talking more about price testing, feature image and perhaps most important, title you choose to your listing.

Curious to know what you think

Thanks,
Shlomo

1 Like

How are you calculating your conversion rate? view to bookings? inquiries to bookings? something else entirely?

Views to Inquiries. I think that’s the most reasonable way, As then it’s up to us if we accept the booking or not.

I don’t think there is much you can do to turn an anonymous view into an inquiry. They want a pool, or a hot tub, or breakfast, etc… or have 5 people. Something that your listing doesn’t provide, so they move along. You will never be the right place for all your views. What would your target percent be?

When I think about how many places I view in order to find the right spot when I travel, the mind is boggled.

1 Like

I agree with you, but there are things you can change like the title that can attract more people looking at your listing. That would not increase the conversion perhaps but as you have more views you have more inquiries.

We live in a place which is not touristy and since Israel is quite small it doesn’t always make sense to stop on the way to another place, you just drive through to your destination.

I wish I’d know what people were searching for before they saw my listing…

I would say… don’t obsess about conversions as you are powerless in this scenario. Focus on the things that make people want to book.

For me it would be price, good reviews, convenience to public transport and good location.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s much point in judging a conversion rate from views. One reason is that the views shown are never accurate. For example, I had a week that showed zero views but I had two inquiries/bookings during that time. Plus, the last time I looked, the number was lower on the website than it was on the app.

There are plenty of reasons why people might be looking at a listing without intending to book one at all. Other hosts look at listings, sometimes looking for decor ideas or ideas for the house rules. Then there are bloggers who want to write about unusual Airbnbs or interesting listings in certain areas.

Some people have loads of time and spend hours looking at listings that they never intend to book. This is especially the case because of the other-listings-in-this-area feature. (Its a bit like shopping for shoes - you see a great pair then look at all the other alternatives - then go back and buy the first ones you saw :slight_smile: )

Although I use IB, I find that most people inquire before booking.This is when you can affect it and this is when your conversion rate becomes important. In particular, your speed of response and the ‘selling’ you do in your messages.

5 Likes

In marketing terms that’s not a ‘conversion’…a conversion is the actual sale. Views are irrelevant…not up to date, could be time wasters, could be other hosts…

2 Likes

Exactly. There has to be interaction. I don’t think there is such a thing as ‘passive conversion’. The prospect has to indicate at least some indication that they want to buy and in order for it to be a conversion (rather than the luck of the draw) then there have to be actions taken by the salesperson - or the host in this case.

You’d also need to keep specific conversion rates depending on the promotion you do. For example, I know that when I have a social media blitz, bookings increase. We can’t just be passive and think that Airbnb is the answer to our booking prayers.

all that being said, if you’d like to share a link to your listing, we’d be happy to take a look and give you some feedback.

1 Like

My newest analogy is views == window shoppers from the sidewalk, inquiries == touch items in the store, bookings == sales.

I try to focus on creating a listing that will attract the kinds of people that I want in my house. Then, when they inquire, I try ensure as best as I can that this is actually the right place for them, and then I happily prepare a room, feed them breakfast, welcome them into my home, and accept their money.

1 Like

I hope I can add a link here.

There it is in any case: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14589369?preview

resurrecting an old thread - apologies - i wonder if anyone has tried to do this - A/B testing by listing the same property twice in different ways (for example, the same room could be listed with different titles and bed configurations)?
I am wondering if Air prohibits this or penalizes hosts who try it?