5 Star in every category, Great remarks but 4 star overall WFT?

I lost that bet! I guessed you’d be shooting for a 5 :wink:

1. I have no experience other than AirBNB, so I’m unfamiliar with how ratings work for its competitors. Does the rating system correlate to other STR company rating systems.

2. I’d just about given up, but since you asked I’ll redirect to a question I asked you earlier this month. And in order to keep on topic, if you’re able to provide insight, I’d suggest your reponse be on that topic. Thanks!
    https://airhostsforum.com/t/should-there-be-a-dedicated-airbnb-style-platform-for-long-term-medium-term-rentals-keep-the-easybooking-but-add-more-security-credit-checks-id-digitally-signed-tenancy-agreements-option-to-video-meet-potential-tenants-etc/41786/46?u=hh_az

1 Like

As the saying goes:

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

We have lived in an age of online reviews for quite a while now. No one is ever going to get perfect reviews and perfect star ratings.

I would also be pretty annoyed by any host who tried to persuade me to give him/her five stars. I’d rather simply be honest.

Guthend’s original template avoids being obnoxious by using humor. If a host had that posted and I had a good stay it would be fine. I don’t stay in the corporate “airbnbs” but if I did by chance I probably wouldn’t leave a review at all and a sign wouldn’t change that. The one host, one home places that a frequent don’t generally pressure/guide/educate on reviews. There was one guy who had multiple Airbnbs who sent me a message that said “Here is the review I left for you: . I hope you will leave me one as well.” That wasn’t too objectionable.

Ah yes, that’s true about Guthend’s version. Plus , if I remember rightly, his guests had personal attention (wasn’t that his mum for a time or am I thinking about someone else?) but the one above would certainly annoy me in an impersonal place.

Proper, personal hospitality is all that’s needed - not framed signs.

2 Likes

I know what it means and I’d take a couple of stars off if I felt like I was being “educated” (manipulated) to give a 5-star rating and then I’d also mention it in the review. It’s so tacky. Just give 5-star hospitality and let it go.

1 Like

with everyone referencing it, I did a search and found the original. Thankyou @GutHend

3 Likes

So a post about guests thinking 4-star ratings are very good and hurting us unintentionally and a possible solution in a thread entitled " 5 Star in every category, Great remarks but 4 star overall WFT?" Is “off-topic”?? Guess I don’t see how that can be.

Ironically, it was you who then proceeded to ask me an off-topic question not pertaining to this thread.

Yes it was me and yes it’s my MIL running the BnB :wink:.

We don’t have it as a framed sign, in fact we don’t have anything as a framed sign. I agree, that would be too much :confounded:.
We have the stars guide as a small item in our very informative, beautifully designed information newspaper. It’s presented as a minor, almost unimportant piece of information :relaxed:.

2 Likes

Perfect :slight_smile:

1 Like

And you know what? If that’s the kind of person/guest you are then that’s your choice. The point is you would be deliberately trying to hurt the host – and we wouldn’t have you back again – but at the very least it would be intentional on your part. The point is being sure a guest is intentionally leaving the rating that reflects how they feel.

You just posted “you know what 5 stars means”. That’s great for you. You’re an AirBnB host and not who it is intended for. Years of doing this shows us most guests do not know what it means, which is the whole point of the sign which I think is clear. They think 5 stars means the Ritz Carlton or the best place they’ve ever stayed – perfection.

Almost every guest we have had in the 16 years we have been doing business here have loved this resort. It is surrounded by mountains in a private gated community with three pool and spa complexes open 24/7 and heated all winter and also 1/2 mile from all the hiking trails – starting at just $37/nt. for monthly rentals of a one-bedroom in the summer. Unfortunately people who rave about it often give it 4 stars thinking they’re helping and being generous. The sign is about informing guests that are very satisfied that 4 stars doesn’t reflect that, much less “very good” as many believe. If they deliberately choose a bad review because they don’t like a sign after a great stay then they are basically saying they aren’t coming back. Not sure we would want a guest like that to be honest, especially after offering immediate and excellent on site service in addition to the facilities.

1 Like

And that’s great if you don’t have to. It was necessary for us and we will see how it works out. Telling a guest in an email after they have left a review doesn’t help us much. If we find it works against us we can reconsider the idea. But we’re not afraid to try new things when there is an obvious problem or misunderstanding with excellent stays and experiences being rewarded with just 4 stars. I would have thought 4 stars was great too until the last 5-10 years when sites started considering each star deducted (even one) as a sign of dissatisfaction. We feel it is important to inform guests so they leave the review they intend. As the post says “Please be sure your star rating accurately reflects how you feel about your stay as shown below.” Our goal is not 5 stars, it is an accurate rating to match the reviews.

My guests have actually thanked me for “educating” them. However, I’ve done it in a way that I really don’t think guests end up feeling like I’m shilling for a 5* review. First of all, I never do it with veteran Airbnb guests- almost all of them know how the system works from the host end. Then there are guests who’ve told me they have friends or family who host, so they are also aware of how it works (and also say they think it’s crazy). And I wouldn’t ever make the conversation a pointed thing.

Since I home share and have a lot of interaction with guests, we’ll often get into a conversation about Airbnb- many times initiated by the guest. They’ll tell me about other stays they’ve had- really good or really bad. It’s then easy enough to start talking about reviews. And all I talk about in that regard is the disconnect between what Airbnb tells guests on the review form that the stars indicate, and how they turn around and then apply those ratings to hosts. I do it more because I object to the hypocrisy and non-transparency of what they lead guests to believe and how they penalize hosts, than because I’m terrified of a less than 5* review or am trying to prod my guests to giving one.

Guests are quite shocked- they say “Why do they tell us 4* is Good and then warn hosts for anything less than 4.7? That’s crazy. I’m glad you told me that, I’ve given 4* to places I really liked, the host was great, and I’d totally book it again. I had no idea that would hurt the host. I thought I was leaving a good review.” To which I’ll answer “Well, you did leave a good review, you didn’t do anything wrong. It’s Airbnb that’s doing something wrong by turning what a guest was pleased with into cause for reprimanding a host.”

My feeling is that when a guest is simply informed, without the host coming across like they are attached to what star rating they get, the guest will go ahead and rate whatever they really feel it deserves. But they’ll at least be rating with a clear understanding of how those ratings are applied. It’s when a guest thinks a host just wants 5* ratings because the host thinks their place is so great and their hosting excellent, and wants to have a 5* rating to appear as the best when looking at listings, that the guest would resent being informed, IMO.

In a sane world, not the Airbnb world, there shouldn’t be anything at all wrong with a 4* rating. I know that a lot of guests feel the ratings on Airbnb are inflated, because there are so many 5* places. It would actually be a better look for Airbnb to change their bar for hosts, so there were more 4* places, without the warnings to pull your socks up or get delisted. Most guests, unless they are hoity-toity, feel fine about booking a 4* place.

I honestly didn’t realize publishing a recurring newspaper was part of hosting (never heard that before in all my years doing this). However if that works for you great. To us posting a small innocuous 5x7 plaque next to the posted community rules is much less of a hassle. We’re not in the publishing biz.

That’s our point exactly. It’s not because potential guests look down on 4 stars, it’s because we have received warnings (threats) from AirBnB that our 4 stars are problematic, even in a glowing review.

It’s actually an information leaflet that looks kind of like a newspaper. The information leaflet solves a few problems:

• Advising guests on security issues.
  • Showing them transportation options.
  • Making them aware of all that there is to see and do. So they stay longer or return.
  • Giving guests restaurant recommendations.
  • Etc. …

All information is condensed so people get informed quickly. They lose less time and we do too. We also add a small handwritten welcome note to create a connection and add to the personalized experience.

It did take some time to compose it, but now it’s just checking, every few months, if something needs to be edited.

3 Likes

I think you misinterpreted my reply to you. I wasn’t implying that your rating system response was off topic. I was suggesting that IF you responded to my 2nd question that you reply where it was originally posted, in order to keep this topic ‘on topic’. I provided the link so that you could answer the question there.

Airbnb should have a clear statement about what each category is looking for and tell the guests what the stars mean. Some ppl believe a five star is only given if there was no room for
improvement. Some ppl look for five star hosts exclusively. I personally think they should do away with displaying numbers and just show stars. A 4.87 rating would look like a five star place. Guests might read through the reviews more if the did away with the star rating altogether

But it isn’t a 5-star place, it’s a 4.87 place. It isn’t as far off at least, as a place with a 4.57 which would also be “5-stars” with a stars only system. I don’t think most people would choose to stay at an airbnb rated 4.57 stars and, also, people who:

would not get what they are looking for.

No, of course not. If a host cued me to leave 5-stars, that would effect my experience at the listing. Having a framed sign about the rating system would preclude a 5-star experience. Seeing the sign would also make me wonder about the accuracy of your rating, it makes me think you cajoled them. It seems manipulative and just not homey.

It’s unfortunate that a 4 star is not good enough for Airbnb, but that still doesn’t mean that every listing deserves 5 stars. Ultimately, I believe that guests do know how they feel and what they mean. Even the random person who just doesn’t like to give 5-stars can be inspired on occasion.

1 Like

As you represent many properties, one can understand that you may not wish to be “cheeky”. But your version is far too long. Just being honest. People do not read.

We all “get your goal”, as most of us are hosts and have the same concerns. Star Descriptions need to be one line each: bullet list. Break up that big paragraph up top, etc. Use a friendly font.

Here is what we put on the cover of our guidebook. It has done wonders to get 5 stars and avoid more than an occasional 4 star. Nothing below that (knock on wood). Feel free to borrow / modify as you like:

4 Likes