5 days prior to arrival airbnb cancels the reservation and gives guest a full refund

Sorry that was directed to Jams. :rofl:

Airbnb cancelled my reservation because of guest risky behaviour ( invited strangers and then called the police and want to move out after stay only one day at the place that was reserved for 32 days)
Airbnb accommodate a guest and give them complete refund. My calendar was locked for 4 more days before my place was available again. I only received payment for one day minus service fee for 32 days. Go figure!
In addition, that guest was not on the reservation. Reservation was done by somebody else for two people but only one person moved in and that person never was added to the reservation. I been communicating with Airbnb for weeks now and only the explanation I have that they want to keep community safe.
BB

What are you saying to them or asking them to do?

You might want to let them know that the guest was not the booking guest and ask that the booking guest be sanctioned for a third party booking. Of course, that doesn’t help you but arguably helps keep ‘the community safe’.

I wouldn’t quarrel with the notion of keeping the community safe but I would quarrel with waiving a cancellation fee that you had coming since giving you the refund would not have made the community less safe, arguably more safe because the booking guest would be off the platform or be discouraged from making their-party bookings, especially with this risky guest.

Hi Glenn,
I am asking to pay me for 5 days and correct fee to 3% from payout.
Every response takes 2-3 days and and far from resolution.

Because guest was given the complete refund, airbnb preferred to be on the guest side and not the host.

Kind regards, BB

I agree with you that Airbnb should do so but I’m curious on the rationale that you’re providing.

I would say something like: The guest’s behavior effectively made this a guest cancellation, for which I should receive full payment under my strict cancellation policy.

I would consider adding (but I’m not sure this is wise – maybe others here have a view): I’ve just discovered that this booking turns out to have been a third party booking. So, I could see Airbnb cancelling it on that basis but also paying me based on my strict cancellation policy.

Returning the finds to the guest in violation of the strict cancellation policy rewards the guest for unsafe behavior and conduct that violates Airbnb’s terms of service (third party bookings).

The message from CS is a bit difficult to understand, but it sounds like it was the guest who canceled after one night, because they had safety concerns

1 Like

Mika, you are right guest has canceled, but it was her risky step. As no one can inter the place if the door locked. As I was not there I can’t exactly know what happened and airbnb didn’t share police report with me. I only know that someone smoke in the bed as there 2 burning spots on the linens and nightstand ( my place is not smoking- of course it hard to control). Airbnb did reimburse me $74 for damages. But my point is that with my strict cancelation policy I should not be penalised.
If I will not get response from CS I will call and see where I will get. It is so time consuming!
Cheers,
BB

Appreciate everyone support in my case. Today is the day when it was resolved. Airbnb will now pay me for 5 days as my calendar remained booked.
Below is the message I received from CS:

“I informed you that this is a wrong processed, since the police report that they filed to us was not valid due to the reason that there is no name of the main guest in the report.”

I learned that safety team didn’t bothered to compare names on reservation and police report. So I have to escalate my case today upper management did help me to resolved my problem
What I learned: As per airbnb policy -they do not tolerate third-party booking and host will not be covered by aircover (top to bottom protection).
Please be aware if you have somebody booking your place for others or coworkers , please make sure they include the name of all guests who will actually stay in the property.
My best to all
BB

Will this help?

It’s still a third-party booking for which you’re saying the Host is not covered by AirCover.

I suppose it gives you a name so that IF you could get their address you could sue them in small claims court for any damages, which is better than nothing but maybe not much better.

Congrats on getting that payment. Well deserved! Your perseverance paid off.

1 Like

Even without a third party booking, you can’t count on Aircover at all.
And getting the names of guests who have been booked by someone else will not help you with a claim, unless it was booked from a business account where employers are allowed to book for their employees. Airbnb will say it was your choice to accept a third party booking.

But I’m glad it was resolved in your favor.

Why would you assume the host’s cancellation policy is a full refund? For one thing, this booking was for over 28 days, so it doesn’t fall under a host’s regular cancellation policy anyway- it falls under the Long Term policy.

In one post here Belbo says Airbnb cancelled the booking, in another they say the guest cancelled, so it’s confusing what happened. It also isn’t clear whether the guest reported some bogus safety issue at the listing to Airbnb in order to scam a refund, or whether Airbnb had a trust and safety issue with the guest.

Technically Airbnb does owe the host a full month’s payment, as bookings over 28 days are non-refundable and the first month’s payment is supposedly guaranteed. So Airbnb should not have refunded the guest at all, and paid out the host.

However, given all the issues with this guest, it’s highly likely that the guest’s payment never went through, or the guest put a stop payment order on it, so Airbnb would have nothing to pay the host.

Yes, it’s good that Airbnb removes bad guests from the platform, but they shouldn’t do that at the host’s expense. This booking blocked the host’s calendar first for 32 days, then Airbnb left the block on for another 4 days after they cancelled the guest and they left- so the host lost out on a lot of potential bookings, which isn’t fair, as none of it was their fault.

If you notice, Belbo revived this old thread on the same issue they are dealing with, a few days ago.

Thanks for the additional context Muddy. But I just realized I ended up commenting on a completely different post - not the one that precedes your response to me. So that’s a big never mind! Sorry for the confusion. BTW, the one you thought I was responding to, did not seem particularly clear so I would have refrained from commenting.