420 Friendly in Seattle and other Legal Places

Hello. This topic and its previous responses are old. As I started to write on an old thread this forum platform pointed that out. So, perhaps there are some new experiences to report. We have had all-legal marijuana here in WA for some time. IE out of state visitors can purchase it in WA just walking into a dispensary, unlike Cali which requires a Cali ID. It seems like an opportunity to list 420 Friendly to increase potential guest numbers. It has its risks, but perhaps they are lower than I imagine. I have a room with bath that fits 1-2, not a party house, situated on the first floor away from my living area. I could stipulate going outside, cracking the slider, and/or running the fan. Cigarettes are out of the question for their smell. I would provide an ash tray but no paraphernalia or samples, of course. I could find out who was going to do the 420 experience by asking them to tell me so I can give them the ash tray. Here are my questions:

Do you list ā€œ420 Friendlyā€ for your airbnb?
Have you had anyone have a ā€œbad tripā€. (Some of the edibles/wax type items concern me.)
Have you had any 420 related damage to your property?
Do you think some guests are turned off by a 420 Friendly listing?
Anything you want to report?

Thanks for sharing! You are all so helpful. ~Sheila

I permit guests to smoke marijuana outside (the same place I permit tobacco smoking). I donā€™t mention that I permit marijuana use in my listing.

Iā€™ve had two sets of guests who worked in the edibles industry. They were all wonderful guests. I havenā€™t had any problems with marijuana consumers. Iā€™ve had problems with alcohol consumers.

I donā€™t know if some guests are turned off by a unit that is permissive of marijuana smoking. I would be if the smoking was inside because I abhor the smell. The bigger issue is why are you worried about turning off potential guests who wonā€™t be happy at your listing? We state everything we think might turn off some guests loud and clear. Examples are that we are LGBT friendly, we have large dogs, we donā€™t have air conditioning, we donā€™t have television. I want the guests who book with us be the ones who will enjoy what we offer.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t want cigarettes smoked in your home because of the smell, why would you want guests to smoke marijuana inside? It has an incredibly strong smell which lingers.

It also means that you will put the majority of guests off from staying in your place as you will have to mark it as a smoking property.

If you want to market your place as marijuana friendly then make sure you have it in your house rules that guests (and of course yourself ) smoke outside.

1 Like

Yes, interesting question. I feel that I can remove 420 smell and the experience of the room would have no evidence of it having been used. Yet potential guests could be against 420 and decide against the room.

If you allow it and it is not in your listing, do you have a sign on the wall to do all smoking outside? Or, do they know in advance so that this allowance is part of their choosing your place?

Pot and cigarette smoke in my experience are very different to remove, cigarette being almost impossible and leaving a coating on objects, but I appreciate your points you make. Thank you.

1 Like

One of my rules is, ā€œSmoking only permitted outdoors.ā€ When I give the house tour, if the guest smells like a smoker I show him/her the outdoor table, give them an ashtray and tell them that they are welcome to smoke outdoors with the back door closed so the smoke doesnā€™t drift into the house. Bear in mind that I am in Southern California where the weather permits you to be outdoors almost 365 days a year at any time of day. If guests ask if itā€™s okay to smoke marijuana I tell them that I donā€™t care what they smoke as itā€™s going in their lungs, not mine.

While itā€™s true that cigarette smokes clings more than marijuana smoke, I believe there will be the faint smell of marijuana which to me smells like a skunk died several days ago. Also, bong water is one of the worst smells Iā€™ve ever smelled and bongs get knocked over all the time.

2 Likes

Thanks Ellen N, you bring up some good points as I consider all options. Yes bong water is one of the worst smells ever and now you got me laughing about that risk. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Why is it that bongs are always top heavy? Youā€™d think that as they are designed to be used by people who are distracted they would put rocks in the bottom to keep them upright.

2 Likes

420 smoke gives me a headache, so Iā€™d avoid a place that mentioned smoking was allowed inside.

Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d feel about it outside. Depends if there were multiple guests, and I wouldnā€™t be able to open the window for fear of the smoke wafting in.

(Though the smell of pipe smoke settles my stomach. Cue image of very pregnant, very nauseous me sidling as close as social rules allowed to a smoking stranger outside a movie theater. Thanks random pipe smoking hipster dude! Because of you, I didnā€™t puke during Under the Tuscan Sun! That was the longest I went without paying a ā€œmeal taxā€ for 8 months.)

1 Like

you might be onto a new product design for a growing market

That was my core question - would people who donā€™t partake avoid it. Thanks!

1 Like

We ran into this situation just this week - I liked everything about the listing I was looking at yet did not book because of the 420 Friendly remark. The smell makes me ill and I am hypersensitive to it. I actually gag and throw up - saved me from a misspent youth :slight_smile: much to my annoyance!

Some may not book if they are Federal employees or employees of federal contractors. They cannot risk even the appearance of using a substance that is still illegal on a federal level.

2 Likes

I think there is definitely a niche market for this. Personally, I think it would be hard to do both; have a 420 friendly place and serve other guests who donā€™t like or want that especially if you allow it indoors. Maybe you should put a listing on here; Bud and Breakfast! I kid you not!

Thereā€™s also an article on the pros and cons here;
https://learnairbnb.com/cannabis-marijuana-airbnb/

2 Likes

As a traveler, Iā€™d split listings into two categories: 420 marketed (and sometimes decorated)- like you walk in and thereā€™s bongs and pipes everywhere, etc. And places where itā€™s hardly mentioned/visible. If youā€™d like to keep your ā€œstraightā€ customers, you want to be in the latter group.

Iā€™d probably be your target customer - professional, not a party type, not into ā€œweed cultureā€ :wink: The place Iā€™ve liked best mentioned the legal status and proximity to suggested dispensaries in the ā€œOther things to mentionā€ and then had this in their house rules (they were listed as non-smoking):

We do not permit any smoking in the house, however, the greenhouse (off the kitchen) is a (420) smoker-friendly area. Tobacco is outside only, please ask us for an ashtray.

Iā€™d suggest not allowing smoke inside - mostly because a ā€œsmokingā€ listing will drive away a lot of customers, but also the risk of fire/damage/bong water (ew). And while it airs out better than tobacco, thereā€™s always a chance your next guests could smell it. Best to have an outdoor space or room that only smoking guests have access to.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike. A friend sent me that link and keeps asking me if I listed there. So this is my due diligence to do 420 friendly with the intention of not presenting 2 realities to these 2 segments of guest if you know what I mean. It is looking like ā€˜go outsideā€™ is the way to go.

Allison thanks for this example! Yes, I donā€™t want to give up the ā€˜no smokingā€™ distinction but deep down I am personally pro 420 freedom and when I am involved what can go wrong!? As soon as you get ā€œpublicā€ people involvd there is a whole new standard to be sure nothing on a long list goes wrong. Thanks!

I looked over that website.There are hardly any listings or reviews. It doesnā€™t seem like it is very popular or lucrative at all.

No it does not linger. Not like cigs at all. Nobody would ever have to call a cleaning company to get rid of pot smell, it goes away on its own.

RR

We each have our own experiences @RiverRock.

My experience with family members and friends is that it certainly does, particularly in smaller areas with less ventilation.

1 Like

Its not the same, you may not like the smell but you would not have to pay a service to get rid of it unlike cigarette smoke which clings to everything. I have my own experiences as well. No sense arguing about it though, some people are set in their ways.

RR

2 Likes