400+ completed trips, Superhost status ... and now today, my first bad review (and how I got it removed) ;-)!

@konacoconutz how do I see the wall of shame!?!? Is Emma there?

Cats, see your PMā€¦

ā€¦ I think 15 year limit is quite a bit actually. In New Zealand itā€™s two years without coming back then itā€™s a no go for voting. Flip side of the brexit voting is that many Australiaā€™s. Canadians & New Zealandā€™s on two year working holiday or the 5yr visas could vote. Which is a bit unbelievable.

1 Like

Hi

Iā€™ve just joined the forum can understand what you have gone through. Itā€™s certainly draining when you get a negative post from a guest who has abused your hospitality. Such guests are ā€˜Better off in a hotelā€™ (BOH) and their name should be added to the ā€˜Bad Guests Listā€™.

Iā€™ve recently received a negative review from a 60+ lady from Brazil, who did not respond to my emails about arranging a time for check-out. When I arrived on the time outlined in the house guide for check-out she was not In the flat, which, looked like a disaster zone. All her things including dirty dishes were scattered throughout the place, so my cleaners were unable to start cleaning. To make matters another guest was expected in 4 hours. It was distressing not knowing what had happened to her, and time was ticking for the next guest arrival. We learned later in the day she had gone on a day tour! We contacted Airbnb and agreed to pack her things and keep them safe. After she made contact, I arranged to have her baggage delivered to the train station, only she didnā€™t turn up as the tour was delayed. When she did eventually arrived, there was no apology. According to this lady it was our fault for not leaving a day between guests to tidy up. Her negative review was of course posted.

After reading about your experience, Iā€™ve decide to contact Airbnb to have it removed.

I would like to to put this guestā€™s name on the ā€˜Bad guest listā€™, as she is a law on to herself.

1 Like

Hi HostRights,

Sorry to hear about your experience - ā€˜abuse of hospitltyā€™ just about sums it up.

I believe, in hindsight, the reason air removed the review, in my case it was their attempt to dispel a common misconception amongst elder users that in turn reflects negatively on them - the belief that breakfast is included in the deal because the site has bnb in itā€™s title.

If every new guest behaved this way and had this misconception there would be chaos. It it was more an attempt to educate this individual about the home-share concept, rather than protecting me as a host.

I recently had another ā€˜neutralā€™ review from a guest who was pissed because I couldnā€™t look after her luggage after her reservation had ended. Air refused to remove it and encouraged me instead to leave a public response, which - as someone else pointed out - does not appear on the appā€¦ pointless!!

You could maybe try to get it removed on a technicality ā€¦ for example, if the person who made the reservation was not the person who stayed, etc.

Good luck!

I would insist on getting the review removed on the fact that she failed to check-out at the appropriate time, and now is retaliating because her things HAD to be packed.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry you had such a terrible guest. However, I donā€™t understand why whenever a guest is awful many Airbnb hosts say that they are better suited to a hotel. It is just as unacceptable to trash hotel rooms and mistreat hotel staff as it is to disrespect Airbnb hosts. The reasons I would say that a guest would be better off in a hotel are: the guest wants room service and/or an attached restaurant, the guest doesnā€™t want to let the host know what time they will be checking in, the guest wants their room cleaned daily.

3 Likes

Clear thinking @EllenN. True the same considerations should apply wherever one stays. The amenities should be the difference, not behavior.

1 Like

Thanks, Kittyp

I appreciate your feedback.

All the best.

Hi Mearns

Thank you so very much for highlighting the missed check-out, as a key technical point, which Iā€™ll definitely mention, when I talk to Airbnb. It just did not occur to me. I guess that was because the whole experience was so stressful.

Iā€™ll let you know how Airbnb responds.

Thanks Denise :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Excellent suggestions. I would also like to see a hidden message only for other hosts as they do on ā€œWorkawayā€. You can include a private message that is only visible to you as a host. They could even make it that this is not shown until you get an enquiry from the guest. This way you can give a warning and not publicly be critical or fear repercussions of retaliatory reviews. We did not leave a review from a guest who did hundreds of dollars of damage in fear of retaliation. The resolution center did not pay any damages as the guest said the property was destroyed before they got there and airbnb takes the word of the guest over the word of the host. Interhost communication about the guest would be great and more dependable.

1 Like

Jazz ā€“ if youā€™re ever still around, can you PM me your listing? My friends are in the Bay Area and always looking for great rentals in the Yosemite area. Did you ever get any sense of what Air was referring to with these mystery reviews?

I have been sick for 2 daysā€¦ and this was THE best medicineā€¦ Blurted out loud laughingā€¦ OMGā€¦ baahhaaaa
To the above videosā€¦

1 Like

Oh I KNOW!!! Hahaha. :smiley: Love these sketches. See last Saturdayā€™s SNL with Alec Baldwin as Trumpā€¦ totally priceless!!!

1 Like

Agreed and I think with the Tripadvisor, you donā€™t even have to have stayed, or eaten there to leave a review. I canā€™t confirm this, but I have read it plenty of times. I hate Flipkey personally.

Me too. And Trip Advisory could be creepy.

yeh - mad people who think - i know what instead of paying 120 per night for a 1 bed airbnb have to clean up after myself cook my own breakfast and go out to find entertaiinment - I will stay at someone;s home pay 60 per night have my meals cooked for me - make my bed clean up after me and entertain me when i am bored and cant be bothered to go out - sorted - then when they discover that hosts of homes rather than properties have thier own lives jobs and commitments and are letting a spare room instead of having a perm flatmate but flatmate being the key word here - they get narky - i love hosting but loath the piss takers -

i got a review like that a few months ago - the guest was -agog- that i couldnt accommodate their luggage while they went off for 8 hours shopping after check out at 11am and thier flight back to germany was at 10pm - and with new guests arriving at 12.30 same day who asked me if this guest could leave luggage could they do the same - i said no to both and got bad reviews from both - !! who cares - not me I am not a hotel - and they should have booked another day if they wanted to stay longer - been a host for 5.5 years am a super host - have 98 occupancy since I started if I entertained everyones whims I would have quit - house rules are there for a reason

1 Like

Hi Antonia! You are so right, as hosts we need to stick to our guns. The only time I allow guests to leave luggage is if I am 100% certain I am going to be around at the time they want to pick it up and if they have been relatively sound guests. Otherwise it just pins you down and clutters up the house while the next guests arrive (normally have back-to-backs too).The type of guests who canā€™t get their head around these reasons are normally so entitled itā€™s not worth trying to go the extra mile for them anyway.

Well the answer is clearly to build a hotel lobby in our homes and hire a bellhop! Why not add some room service while weā€™re at it?

4 Likes