3:00 AM Sneaking in another guest

Indeed, that’s my main issue. I have a real problem with people calling the police for non-urgent issues. It’s selfish and wastes valuable time and resources. Unless you are in danger, please don’t waste police time. Somebody brought another person into your home which you voluntarily open up to guests. Nobody died, nobody got hurt, the only thing that happened was that you were pissed off your rules weren’t followed. The police have absolutely no place whatsoever in this scenario. It’s just ridiculous to ever think of involving them, in my opinion.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @konacoconutz and @Magwitch. Please allow me to do so also… I didn’t call the cops, I only threatened to - in the heat of the moment - when he repeatedly tried to get me to allow him to stay with the girl. Yes, it would be a last resort.

2 Likes

Sadly, even if you have a squatter, someone who overstays, (like happened to one of our own here on the forum), the cops cannot help. She had to go to court to evict her through the proper channels since the guest had acquired tenant rights and was entitled to due process through the justice system.

Civil and criminal matters are two separate things. Cops won’t help on the civil ones.

I bet that put the damper right down on Mr Lothario’s plans!!! :rofl::rofl::-1: Talk about some bad romance!!

Stupid guests, no one needs this kind of behavior. Take it to the no tell motel.

4 Likes

A squatter has to have been in the house more than the 5+ hours that this guy was here.

1 Like

Fair enough! I would probably have done the same with such a pushy guest. I’ve had a few instances when guests tried to bring someone back but they’ve never challenged me when I said no. I did allow it once when someone had got separated from their friends in high festival season and were genuinely stuck. They asked v politely and the guy waited outside until I said ok. But yeah, being challenged in your own home is another thing.

3 Likes

The point is, the police might not have been able to back you… whether it had been five hours or five months, since you gave the guest permission to be there.

And yes, this was a CRAAP guest, and I hope you give him the bad review he deserves, let it fly at the last possible second.

1 Like

I fully appreciate that you feel uncomfortable, I woke up one night and my beyond drunk Korean homestsy student was asleep in my BED, next to me with his pants his jeans down. I mean WTF but even then police would not have helped.

Your uncomfort doesn’t mean there is ‘danger’ to a police officer who is very busy and needs to respond to life threatening situations. Just because you feel unsafe as the guest are shady.

This brings me to my original point, I’m glad this worked out for you and the guest willingly left but it’s best to avoid danger and confrontation, I have worked in dangerous jobs so I know this from experience. So insisting the guest, who was drinking, leave immediately at 3am may have escalated things to an unmanageable point. Especially if your alone. Just cautioning others. It’s not your premise that is wrong at all.

See de- identified photo for a laugh. Ironically it was this experience that turned me to Airbnb 2 years ago.

7 Likes

Oh Lordy! Now that takes the cake!!!

3 Likes

There are A LOT of reasons I stopped doing homestay.

Fortunately, this is not one of them (meaning, thankfully, this didn’t happen to me)! :smiley:

2 Likes

@Emily. [quote=“Emily, post:3, topic:17801”]
My son often brings his GF home (and we all share a atheism) so I try to be flexible if I can and the guests are nice.
[/quote]

On a side note: Please help me understand…what is meant by “we all share a atheism”?

I know what atheism is but that doesn’t fit with the context of your discussion so I got lost.

3 Likes

lol, damn spell check on my iPhone! Its ‘share a bathroom’, I will fix it now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Emily. Sometimes I hate AutoCorrect!!!

2 Likes

“There are no atheists in shared bathrooms. “ I forgot who said that. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Well, I guess that Airbnb doesn’t follow their own rules when it comes to safety and security. And they gave him a full refund, even though he broke the rules! However, at my insistance, they agree to pay me 50% of the first night (he had booked two).

This guest violated Airbnb policies, my House Rules, my trust, and the security of my home, by on the first night by bringing in an unknown woman at 3:00 AM. When I told him that this was not allowed, he tried to coerce me into allowing her to stay. The woman would not be covered by Airbnb as a guest and so, for the safety and security of my home and the other guests in the house, I asked him to leave immediately. I found glasses of hard alcohol left behind in the room – another violation, as I don’t allow food or drink in guest rooms, except water. He agreed to these rules when he booked the room. Did Airbnb change the contract? Because I can no longer find where it says what the consiquenses are for breaking the rules. He has already written a review. Now I just have to figure out what to write up for his… Ugh!

The term for the woman’s presence in my home is Tresspassing. California law recognizes and respects the sanctity of a person’s private property. It is a crime to enter or remain on another’s property without permission. In these instances, a defendant can be charged with trespassing under California Penal Code Section 602 PC. Once he violated the rules, my permission for the paying guest to be on my property was withdrawn. If he had stayed it would also have been criminal tresspassing. The civil part is what happens after with the Airbnb money. But if he had refused to leave, he have been comitting a crime. He does not qualify for tenants rights. And yes, I have seen what happens the police show up and remove someone.

1 Like

No, they apparently don’t based on the posts here.

I’m not good at this and never offer to help but some people are very good at it like @konacoconutz.

1 Like

Not sure I would be good either, as Kat didn’t care for my earlier comments.

3 Likes

about calling the police but you know how to properly write a review that doesn’t violates air guidelines and eviscerates the bad guest. LOL.

1 Like

Hosts should practice writing reviews like they are telling friends what happened. Try to keep the emotion out of it. Have a look at the guidelines if they don’t remember what constitutes content violations.

When my boys were in high school or in the early years of college, they would depend heavily on me for writing help. I finally realized that it wasn’t helping them to write part of it for them or edit heavily. I would be happy to look it over, yes. But I would not look it over until they felt it was almost ready to turn in. I would not try to edit something half baked or not thought out.

Part of the hosting process is to write the reviews, good and bad. Take a stab at it first, post it here and some of us will be happy to comment.

4 Likes

Here’s a review suggestion:

‘This guest broke several of my house rules and tried to argue with me about it at 3am. He was asked to leave.’

Factual, to the point, and no way would any sane person host him after reading that!

5 Likes