1BR/1BA condo - 4 guests?

I am renting my str to a first responder off the platform until April to allow for vaccine distribution and let covid die down. In the meantime, I have been working on ways to increase my rental numbers for when I reopen. I created a second listing for the same unit which Will be available starting in April.

My str is a two bedroom two bath—master is ensuite— but I wanted to allow a lower price for occasional single person or single couple. I also want to see if I can get more people booking—hopefully some business travelers— during the week instead of just the weekends.

I will be putting a lock on the king bedroom and renting the queen bedroom . There will still be a full bathroom for their use and they get the benefit of kitchen outdoor space etc… I limited it to 2 people no pets no kids. Hopefully less wear and tear, too. Its an experiment. Has anyone tried something similar?

Also might this not be a good alternative for someone trying to decide between buying a one or two bedroom unit for a new str?

Sorry just caught this. You also have it set up as a second listing . Did you have any complaints about the locked doors?

Less is better for me too.

1 Like

There have been several threads about this over the years. There are hosts who say that as a guest they would resent locked doors but I’m sure there are several people here who have a set up like this.

2 Likes

I’ve probably seen too many spooky movies but I’d worry about ‘what’ was behind the door and whether it could pop out and get me in the middle of the night…

:crazy_face:

7 Likes

I have a locked door in my Airbnb room that leads to my part of the house and I’ve never had a complaint or poor review due to it.

5 Likes

No. It’s listed as 1 bed 1 bath and that’s what the guests expect

RR

3 Likes

My formerly 2br/2/ba is exactly this. I lock off 1 Br/1ba. When asked, I explain “owners closet” of my personal items & restocking items —not one complaint

Like @RiverRock said

So much less trouble, maintenance etc. I doubt I will open the 2nd BR/BA for STR rentals again (but never say never)

2 Likes

I did the opposite-lock on queen bedroom mainly because King bed is a positive differentiator. Some people really want the king bed. Whatever works for you is what you should do!:sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s not too late for me to change it. I think I agree with you, the king will rent better

2 Likes

Getting a 2BR and locking off one is an interesting thought. It would allow us to keep our personal possessions in our condo while we travel instead of renting a storage unit. It would also mean that “strangers” aren’t actually sleeping in our bed when we are away. We could still rent to just 2 people max but renting it as a 1BR but the living room and kitchens tend to be a bit larger in the the 2BR/2BA units. This might be something to consider and opens up our options.

6 Likes