17 and 18 year old guests :)

@Joan, third party bookings, where someone books for someone else, are against the terms of service.

I just wanted to say that maybe they were not brothers butā€¦ never mind.

1 Like

I hosted a group of 4 young French guys (18 ish) from NYC when I first started out. One of the kidsā€™ mom booked it. They were in art galleries or looking at colleges all day and so respectful - they all thanked me. I understand age of consent and host preferences, but mature 18 year olds worked out very well for me.

3 Likes

@GutHend - I understood what you were implying. I always find it interesting how we try to figure out peopleā€™s relationships to each other, when the only thing that really matters is our relationship with them and theirs with us.

1 Like

I donā€™t care about peopleā€™s relationship either. I do know the things that me and my hubby sometimes make up when we donā€™t feel like ā€œoutingā€ ourselves. So when you said that they were brothers and the situation was totally different, I thought that maybe they werenā€™t brothers and the situation was in fact exactly the same. Because there are little means to really know for sure.
Just like the OP seems to have supposed that the youngster were boyfriend and girlfriend (I only reread the first message), while they could have just been friends.

1 Like

I knew what you meant, and realize I answered somewhat flippantly.
I think it sucks that we still live in a world where some people have to worry about explaining themselves, when others donā€™t.
Itā€™s not like I have to write to potential hosts and say 'Hey, I am a white heterosexual, middle aged, liberal white woman with a professional career, and I will be visiting with my (whatever) because we are attending a funeral and I would like to stay at your Airbnb because (whatever).
While I do go overboard on many things (like despising neo-naziā€™s), I try to make both my personal space and my airbnb space a safe haven where too many explanations are not necessary.
But as hosts, we do have a responsibility to not create safe havens for illegal activityā€¦I trusted my gut on that one particular case, and I was right.

2 Likes

Is it a good idea to leave a little gift before we leave? I wanted to leave some money or what would you recommend? Iā€™m 18 and thankful they trusted us so I want to show my appreciation. (It was me and a group of guys for the weekend)

Thatā€™s really considerate. I donā€™t think you have to show appreciation with money, just leaving a nice card (handmade is fine) or note that all of you sign, saying how much you enjoyed the place and that you really appreciate that they were willing to take a chance on a group of young people is a gesture most hosts would find lovely.

And of course one of the best gifts for hosts is finding the place has been left clean and tidy, any furniture you moved put back where it was, no cigarette butts in the yard, no skanky food left in the fridge, lights turned off, heat or AC turned down, doors and windows properly shut, etc.

4 Likes

and an utterly perfect 5 star review!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really considerate! Iā€™ve hosted young folks, too, who are transparent and communicative, and it sounds like your hosts were good ones.

I agree with what @muddy said about checking out thoughtfully (a host can tell when a group drops everything and scuttles off, and when they respectfully close up the property).

And it may sound silly, but a small note thanking them + a check out message (ā€œWe just checked out! Thank you so much for allowing us to stay - your home is beautiful and we had such a nice time.ā€) is nice because it confirms for the host that youā€™ve left and are happy.
We love displaying all of our hand-written goodbye notes on our fridge, too!

2 Likes

@Woodykirkwood I agree with others that no gift is necessary. The most important thing is to leave the place in great condition. Overdo it and ask questions if you arenā€™t sure. Make sure you follow all rules, like if it says ā€œtake out the trash, put recycling in the blue bin and donā€™t strip the bedsā€ then make sure you follow that. Then thank the host via the platform or a note. Give a 5 star review. If I were in your situation I might even tell the host that you hope for a good review because youā€™re trying to build up your Airbnb reputation. That might turn some hosts off but that would cause me to put a little extra effort into writing you a great review, assuming of course that you earned it. :wink:

3 Likes