17 and 18 year old guests :)

NO WAY on ANY underage activity! I’d refuse based solely on that!

1 Like

And also…based on your years as a HS history teacher… do you think teens have become more mature over the years? I’m always appalled when I sub for sophomore classes and think to myself, this little brat is going to be driving behind me later in the day! Yikes!!

In Europe it is not as big of a deal here, but do you think providing a place for underage activity would make you an accomplice or accessory?

Unfortunately, I have had BAD LUCK renting to young women coming with their BFs. Three in a row have been troublemakers.

The average age of consent is 16 years in most of Europe, lower in some countries. I thought it was between 16-18 in USA states too?

I’d not be sure if I’d end up with an angry parent after me, or the law
or anything. 17 and 18 year-olds are too irresponsible, in MY
experience, for me to be willing to even think of renting to them. I
have enough problems with full fledged adults, I sure don’t want kids
renting! That is me. Other people can certainly do whatever.

Yeah, I think so much depends on where you are situated and what kind of listing you have. In some ways it’s impossible to generalise! You might attract reckless youngsters who want to surf and swim and drink beer until they pass out. Meanwhile, I attract earnest young students who want to visit museums and art galleries and spook me brushing their teeth at 9pm in their flannel pyjamas.

2 Likes

Heh. The age of consent that matters here is my consent on whether I
rent to teenagers. No, I don’t.

Fair enough! You’re missing out on some great guests, though. The future generation etc., But whatever. Treat people like idiots (young or old) and they’ll behave like idiots.

2 Likes

@KKC; @Magwitch

I don’t have an age specific group for accepting travelers but it certainly isn’t at 17-18 yrs. old, or anywhere near it.

I’m glad you have had positive experiences with renting to the very young and I’m not denigrating your practice or beliefs. Like you say, we make our own judgments based on our experiences and observations.

I’m just saying that there is no way I would welcome or accept teenagers to rent my property.

1 Like

Exactly. Like I said, it all depends on what kind of place you have. Mine is suitable for young people and I like them! Older people sometimes find it a bit rough round the edges and expect a kettle in the room and all that nonsense, But you can never tell really. Best Guest Ever was 60 year old woman from California. Among the worst - self-proclaimed easygoing young backpackers who bitched about everything. I just take anyone now and wait and see what happens.

Age of consent in PA, USA is 18

I once hosted a 19 yr old young man and his 17 yr old brother, I realize it’s completely different than the request you got due to the whole gf/bf/legal age of consent thing.
In any case, this was the boys first outing by themselves without their single Mom.
They were reserving my place to stay on their way from Jersey to the Adirondacks for some camping/hiking, and on their way home to Jersey.
They were an absolute pleasure to have stay in my home.
They arrived with REAL crullers and a REAL cheesecake :slight_smile:
They tinkered with the doohickey thing on one of the toilets and made it better.
One strummed guitar and the other rocked out on a drum while sitting on the front porch one evening.
But again…it was brothers, and totally different than your situation, but I was very happy I accepted their reservation.

3 Likes

Do you check the ID’s of all your guests?

1 Like

Europe accepts that ‘activity’ is taking place (whether we agree or not) and as the legal age is 16 in UK (for example) it’s all fine and dandy with me. I wouldn’t refuse a booking based on my opinions if the law states differently. Then where does that end? I don’t accept people based on skin colour? Religious belief? Sexual preferene? None of the above have anything to do with me.

2 Likes

Some of the comments here sadden me - my daughter and 4 of her friends 17-18yr olds all went to Corfu for 4 nights to celebrate their end of high school and the fact they will all be parting ways to study. They stayed in an old classical house with antique furniture. They were warned by me to behave and clean up when they left as they were booked on my account.

This was my message from the owner : The girls were very polite and well raised! Congratulations to their parents (my mother’s comment!). Were ideal guests, our little stars! We wish them all the best for the future! Hope to host their parents as well someday

So the people who are refusing to host young people will miss out on some great kids!

6 Likes

If this was on Airbnb you violated the terms of service and had something happened the hosts would not have been covered by Airbnb. So who is irresponsible here? :innocent:

Your choice and that is fine with me. It is not just the sex thing.
Teenagers here are almost all VERY irresponsible. Heck, I would not want
to rent to my own children or grandchildren!

2 Likes

I’m no fool, I know ID’s can be manufactured, so I swabbed both of them and put the samples though the DNA lab I have in my basement, made them wait in their car across the street until I got the results.

5 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

Brilliant! I now see you as a kind of Airbnb Walter White.

1 Like