Would you respond? What would you say? (Review)

So, went totally out of my way for this woman who just 2 days prior to her to her reservation, asked to arrive one day earlier than her reservation. ( due to my work schedule, I actually lost sleeping time in order to clean/prepare for her). Yes, I did get an extra day of Airbnb moola, but still. So, this is the review she left, please note that she declined to allow me to show her how to connect her phone to wifi, she did have a laptop she used for wifi, and she had a landline in her room. She was quite displeased with her previous Airbnb which she verbalized to me bc they did not have a table/chairs for her to use for breakfast although she did have toaster oven/microwave. I explained that yes, it’s important for hosts to list every single detail in their listing, but that sometimes guests still don’t read listings carefully, gave examples of how I have things in my listing repeatedly such as that room is upstairs, (the stairs were tough for her), and she was seriously unaware that the room was up a flight of stairs, proving my point that guests don’t read. Ugh

I would not respond. Her only negative bit was “no cell coverage”.

The only thing you could say would be “Sorry you didn’t read the description thoroughly and missed the fact that there is no cell service and the room is on the second floor.” But that is being rather catty.

3 Likes

I’d ignore her. Ironic that she goes out of way to say that she read all the detail of your airbnb ad but then complains about your listing. It’s as if she is anticipating you saying she didn’t read it. So, I say ignore her. Her reminding guests that they won’t have cell phone is probably a blessing in disguise. Welcome back! :wink:

10 Likes

Yes! Next guest please!

Don’t respond, don’t be bothered and don’t linger on it.
“Nice hostess… very helpful… very comfortable bed and bathroom.” All I need to know. Sold!

6 Likes

I don’t even see the bit about the second floor. The cell phone thing or lack of it is ridiculous. Everyone has different coverage. My sister has five bars in her apartment and I have ZERO.

I once had a transgendered guest complain in a review that I had no signal for her iPad in the room which was ridiculous. This was after I went out of my way to make her feel welcome since she expressed feeling anxious about getting rejected.

As for this review, you can look at her photo (sorry) and just see she is an old biddy with that complaint. New guests will laugh and ignore it.

2 Likes

Yet another ‘don’t reply and move on’ person here!

4 Likes

I agree don’t respond. If you do I would ignore her minor compliant and just be positive “Thank you Dorothy for choosing our place to stay. So glad we were helpful to you. Best wishes” etc

3 Likes

@brook2adks

Ol’ Marjorie gave some you some back-handed compliments (that you TRY to be very accommodating…why didn’t she say that you WERE accommodating…and why didn’t she only say there wasn’t cell phone coverage instead of adding the word “annoying”.) But hey, at least she gave you nearly a perfect score on everything.

I’d take that over one of my recent guests who claimed she submitted a review and gave me high kudos and they want to return but when I checked with Customer Service, they said there was no review from her. (She didn’t do one for her previous stay with another host either.)

They are a couple in their mid-60’s, and mine was their second experience with Air.

Today is the 14th day, 11th hour and I’m fuming that she lied. To think I added a bottle of wine to their gift basket and also allowed them to stay 10 hrs. extra (gratis) because of their late flight. Give me 20 lashes with a wet noodle.

5 Likes

Yup, this,is why I never never do extras.

2 Likes

Do not respond and move on.
The reviews is not that bad, and not worth responding to.

I do not know what nationality Marjorie is, but this can be a language/translation thing.
In some languages “giving your best” is more valued “than being the best”.

1 Like

I never respond to reviews unless they’re especially egregious. When scrolling through a listing, the reviews with replies stick out like a sore thumb.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the support, truly appreciated.
She was truly one odd duck. She didn’t smile once.
In her private feedback, she thanked me for providing a detailed map of the back roads and sights to see that most visitors don’t find on their own (and she has been coming to this area for 20 years she said).
In her private location feedback, she put in quotes “you need a car to get everywhere”, which is ironic as a reviewer before her mentioned that the need for a car is negated by proximity to so many interesting sights including the beach, waterfalls, restaurants.
In any case, I’m one of those hosts who always responds with a one-liner to every guest review (I know…most hosts don’t agree with that policy), so I just left her a “I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation here in the Adirondacks!” comment.

This is one of the reasons why I am seriously considering this being my last year with ABB.
People can be such a PITA!

I got a request yesterday for memorial day weekend…younger couple from CT, wanting to visit Mt. Adirondack (there is no such mountain) and Lake George on their way to Mt Washington (which is in NH). They wanted to know if this plan was sensible (no, it isn’t which if they used mapquest they could have figured out on their own).
There is a bit of a language barrier so I gave them exact details of their driving times from their home to Mt Washington, their home to my place and then to Mt Washington.
While I enjoy the role of tour guide while guests are here and prior to their arrival, having to act like a Triple A advisor is above and beyond what I’m willing to do.

I’m hesitant to decline them as I don’t want to be judged as not being part of the sharing community based on a persons background, but in the meantime, the clock is ticking and they have yet to respond to my extremely detailed and easy to understand response.
They just already seem like flakes to me, which means they probably have not read the house rules, and which is why I’m hesitating to accept their 3 day request.
I really hope they choose, as I stressed in my response, to go visit Mt. Washington!

Again, thanks for all the feedback on my original question!

1 Like

This always makes me angry, and I’ve gone through it a dozen or so times in the course of a year. People ask you a bunch of questions they could have gotten the answers to themselves. You spend a good amount of time reaseaching it all on the internet and crafting a detailed response, only to be greeted with crickets. No booking. Not even a thank you.

2 Likes

I just had a host stayed at my place, very nice reviews, even said, hope next time we come this place will be available for us. Boom…4 star. WTH?! I didn’t bother to reply anything.

1 Like

Block the dates for another day or two. If they happen to ask, you say sorry, room is booked. Then open it back up. You’ll get someone who will be thrilled your place was still available so last minute. Edit: I’m not sure what kind of judging or profiling you are talking about. This isn’t a suggestion to get around airbnb’s non-discimination policy, just to avoid guests who aren’t a good fit.

1 Like

Yes, I’m worried that my decline may be seen as discriminatory. But that truly isn’t it. They’ve already proved themselves to be non responsive to helpful research correspondence from me, and not knowing how to properly use the site, and give many indications of being high maintenance due to their lack of knowledge of how to navigate!

Don’t give a bunch of free information to lookie loos!!! Tell them detailed information about your destination will be available to confirmed guests.

Or contact the local tourist bureau, sheesh.

1 Like

I had a woman who couldn’t get her reservation right, had to have me call Airbnb to ask questions for her, etc. and when she came, I think she broke my laundry and said it was broken to begin with and then gave me 4 instead of 5 stars because there are no dishcloths??? I do not have to provide dishclothes. We had dozens of bath towels, provide linens and everything you could possibly think of but one thing… no dishcloth. Then she said the tv volume doesn’t work but that’s because she didn’t press the up and down buttons on the remote?? It worked perfectly fine. Our TV is brand new installed last month with smart TV functions. I even taped INSTRUCTIONS on how to use the TV right in the living room bright and clear. You run into many annoying people and give bad reviews because they think they are just that important. I really wish they would just go stay at a hotel. I also think Airbnb created this expectation of their customers to be so annoying. They should really send some sort of email to guests saying and reminding them… you are STAYING IN SOMEONE’S HOME AND NOT A HOTEL. They are NOT REQUIRED TO GIVE EVERYTHING YOU WISH OR BE YOUR CONCIERGE AT ODD HOURS OF THE NIGHT. That’s common courtesy. We are not 5 star hotels or else we would charge as such. Anyway… the other complaint is Airbnb will NOT HONOR damage deposits no matter HOW MUCH PROOF you give them. Receipts, pictures, even incident reports from my third party cleaner and property manager. If your guest breaks something, you’re on your own. Not sure why they even collect the damage deposit. Their damage claim department gives you standardized emails and always says the submitted evidence doesn’t have a receipt which I sent to them over 10 times. Completely frustrating. Homeaway I never had a problem. Once someone broke my stove and Home away IMMEDIATELY helped me get that through the deposit when I submitted photos and evidence of what they did. Everyone here should consider doing homeaway/vrbo… same company.

They actually do send a message saying you’re staying in a persons home and because of that each experience will be different. A screenshot was posted a while back if I remember rightly

I’m thinking that lately it sure seems like Air does everything to side with the guest on damage claims. It’s a relief in some ways to use companies who allow you to claim off your own damage deposit.

In the original days of Air, they would send you an email asking if everything was okay before returning the deposit, they were far more solicitous with hosts. Now, not so much. It’s a shame.

I know Air is the market leader but there so so many companies out there now wanting a piece of the action and who are hopefully much more solicitous to hosts.

1 Like